What makes an off-road trailer an off-road trailer

Ryan87LX

Observer
I'm looking at building/equipping my first trailer - definitely more of a basecamp unit than an on-trail unit. Mostly just something to haul my gear in to the campsite.

That being said, aside from tire sizes, what really differentiates an off-road trailer from a run of the mill cargo trailer?

From what I can see, it should be pretty easy to get most of the functionality for a lot less than something like an Xventure (not that I wouldn't buy one if I could).

Any thoughts?

Lucky j

Explorer
Heavy duty axle
Sturdy but flexible suspension so your stuff is not destroid by over bouncing.
Amplitude of movement at the coupler
Tie down point, many many of them or compartiment
Enclosed storage, tarp or hard cover should be there, but not mandatory.
Recovery point in the back, able to recover the trailer and vehicule

And anything else you might need or want (that is all matter of how you like your set-up), like battery pack (electricity) water tank, rtt, sink, kitchen, awning, storage, name it. Anyone will have opinions on this part.

armygreen

Adventurer
It will go where you want it to go without breaking down.
Tires bigger than 12" is a big plus.
It adapts to what you need it to be.

1store

Banned
A 24 pack of beer gets a lot cars off road .A heaver frame . 3500 bl are bigger axle It's about the bearing . Not to long. Differentiates of a off-road trailer is what you plan to use it for. Some say you can put 35'' tires on a harbor freight trailer folded tin dose not make a off road frame . Then run the Rubicon trail. .It will be higher .bush Guards for the front .side maybe some use of a slider on the back
Most put off-road trailer so they can sell it for more.
Just look at all the builds here then pick what you can use . kiss is the best less to go wrong

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Besides all the attributes as mentioned--an "Off-Road" trailer is one that will follow the "Off-Road" vehicle--ANYWHERE IT GOES!

Now that's logical, doesn't include a KOA campground ONLY vehicle--

Can ya digit ?

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

bunger

Adventurer
I think an "offroad" trailer could be any trailer that won't fall apart from the vibration, twisting and bending that you get traveling down anything more than a dirt forest road.
In other words, something better than a conventional trailer that's held together with staples, pop rivets and wood glue.

Ryan87LX

Observer
This has actually been very informative for me. A few things I hand't thought of (bearings) and a lot of things mentioned that I didn't really understand.

Thanks everyone! Keep the suggestions coming!

zimm17

Observer
We need a thread on basecamp trailers then. Beef up a 4x6 landscaper? I need to haul a big 'ol cooler full of beer (can't go camping without that), ez-up awning, weber Q100, folding chairs, coleman stove, and a few rubber maid tubs full of gear. When I had an F250 it all fit in the back under the tonneau cover. Not so much with my new Jeep.

yj4trails

Observer
Offroad trailer to me is one that will follow you down or up a nasty rutted out trail and still be able to make it home. Just as your vehicle does.

grogie

Like to Camp
My trailer was modeled after the Pikes Peak trailer that guy was briefly building. Mine has a 3500# axle, which is what he suggested as he had earlier tried a lesser axle and had issues. It also has leaf springs and shocks so the suspension does a nice job towing it on dirt roads at speed as I don't know the trailer is back there. I also feel good about taking it anywhere I think it's safe to take trailer. The tires are also the same size as my Jeep, so that the Jeep's spare works for both. Then an RTT is mounted to the lid so it's like a popup.

Plus, it also has it's own brakes... most important for towing it with a Jeep. :)

The underside:

dsc08483n.jpg

Build: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-163.html

Ryan87LX

Observer
My trailer was modeled after the Pikes Peak trailer that guy was briefly building. Mine has a 3500# axle, which is what he suggested as he had earlier tried a lesser axle and had issues. It also has leaf springs and shocks so the suspension does a nice job towing it on dirt roads at speed as I don't know the trailer is back there. I also feel good about taking it anywhere I think it's safe to take trailer. The tires are also the same size as my Jeep, so that the Jeep's spare works for both. Then an RTT is mounted to the lid so it's like a popup.

Plus, it also has it's own brakes... most important for towing it with a Jeep. :)

The underside:

dsc08483n.jpg

Build: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-163.html

Very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles