What makes a Unicat worth more than a Earth Roamer?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Or, as it has been mentioned in other threads, they might be a little gun-shy having spent the money for supposedly the best previously and been left wanting....

Yes, but the age-old question of who really decides what is considered "the best?" Customers?--how do they know until they see all the alternatives in person? Companies/builders?--could be blowing smoke and/or be cutting corners where customers can't see. Media?--could be getting paid for their words. Etc...

boxcar1

boxcar1
mk216v What do you consider "the best"???? I would consider it a rig that perfectly suits my porpoise and life style. If that were an E R or a U C I'd own one. Neither is willing to building what works for me.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
mk216v What do you consider "the best"???? I would consider it a rig that perfectly suits my porpoise and life style. If that were an E R or a U C I'd own one. Neither is willing to building what works for me.

There's the rub...best can be different for everyone. Eye of the beholder.

boxcar1

boxcar1
"mk216v What do you consider "the best"???? I would consider it a rig that perfectly suits my porpoise and life style. If that were an E R or a U C I'd own one. Neither is willing to building what works for me."
IMHO a rig MUST be serviceable in the field. An example would be an experience that I lived through recently. Last year while on an extended search for ghost towns around Oregon My Ford suffered a catastrophic coolant system failure. As it would happen. In the middle of know where. Within a day.... I was able to source all of the parts from a local parts house ( 56 miles away ) to get the rig back on the road. The list of parts was long , but I was able to fill it in one store and all off the shelf. Now that is a perfect rig.....
There's the rub...best can be different for everyone. Eye of the beholder
IE: The custom builder is best remark.

Last edited:

boxcar1

boxcar1
Anybody can hang a shingle and call themselves a "custom builder".. they can also buy a beret and cut off one ear... That doesn't mean they are an artist...
I have been in and out of the rv business for 40 years . Hold several patens and am educated as an automotive engineer. I also have a build thread on this sight and many more build threads on other related sights to back up my opinions. Been doing this a while . How about you? You are correct though and I will admit it. Any one can claim to know what they are talking about. (See quote) . True builders can prove their claims with experience and product.

Last edited:

jeno

Just for the record, the vehicle featured in the videos in post 3 and 5 is not a Unicat. I think it is custom build by a member of this forum. Pretty impressive, if you ask me!

Last edited:

s.e.charles

… perfectly suits my porpoise and life style. ..
I have been in and out of the rv business for 40 years . Hold several patens and am educated as an automotive engineer. ...

I dunno . . . something's a bit fishy here . . .

I agree with this:
...best can be different for everyone.

disclaimer: all in good fun. these discussions make good arguments on both views. carry on.

pnichols

"mk216v What do you consider "the best"???? I would consider it a rig that perfectly suits my porpoise and life style. If that were an E R or a U C I'd own one. Neither is willing to building what works for me."
IMHO a rig MUST be serviceable in the field. An example would be an experience that I lived through recently. Last year while on an extended search for ghost towns around Oregon My Ford suffered a catastrophic coolant system failure. As it would happen. In the middle of know where. Within a day.... I was able to source all of the parts from a local parts house ( 56 miles away ) to get the rig back on the road. The list of parts was long , but I was able to fill it in one store and all off the shelf. Now that is a perfect rig.....
There's the rub...best can be different for everyone. Eye of the beholder
IE: The custom builder is best remark.

The "perfect" expedition vehicle would be one that never breaks or declines in performance. The "best" expedition vehicle would be the one that is easiest to repair anywhere anytime whenever it does break or decline in performance.

Also, K.I.S.S. is usually the best approach to use when designing anything - including expedition vehicles - Keep It Simple Stupid.

peekay

Adventurer
Way back in the day learning stuff at engineering school[,] we were supposed to turn out as superior people[. ][--] [A a] master race of sorts[.] [--] [J j]ustified to beating our chest, pointing to credentials on the wall[,] and grandiose accomplishments.
But our asses handed to us for spelling errors...
Mispelling was one thing. Incorrect form of word, far worse.
Although English is not my first language, please allow me to help you out. See above. This is all the more ironic because you were busting on his writing abilities.

Haha, just busting your balls. No harm intended.

boxcar1

boxcar1
[U]Verkstad[/U] If you had bothered to read the post rather than just Trolling through it. you would have noticed the rather veiled request for credentials.
I'd have never mentioned them otherwise.
Beyond that. It looks like we went to the same grammar school. I must have missed you at the reunion.
I'm sorry if you feel the need to correct my grammar errors rather than add something useful to the conversation. Nice to hear from you again though.

The "perfect" expedition vehicle would be one that never breaks or declines in performance. The "best" expedition vehicle would be the one that is easiest to repair anywhere anytime whenever it does break or decline in performance.

Also, K.I.S.S. is usually the best approach to use when designing anything - including expedition vehicles - Keep It Simple Stupid

I'd have to agree with you . Except in one small way . No matter how easy to repair a rig is. If you cant get parts while in the field, your screwed.
K.I.S.S. will always be the preferred method of design and production in my book. Thanks.

In all fairness , the perfect camper for most of us is the one we own. Especially once personal pride is calculated into the equation. Happy trails....

Last edited:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
A perfect example of the vagaries of personal choice is the fact that I have no interest in the armorvision or KCW windows or whatever they’re called. They’re limited in size, ungodly expensive and extremely heavy. I know they are nice, but they simply aren’t “that” nice in my opinion.

But others might be totally convinced they are absolutely essential.

I also don’t think builders can be compared based on the equipment they put in. But that’s just me.

s.e.charles

A perfect example of the vagaries of personal choice is the fact that I have no interest in the armorvision or KCW windows or whatever they’re called. They’re limited in size, ungodly expensive and extremely heavy. I know they are nice, but they simply aren’t “that” nice in my opinion.

But others might be totally convinced they are absolutely essential.

I also don’t think builders can be compared based on the equipment they put in. But that’s just me.

choices are good things. options help us not feel trapped.

Corsario

boxcar1, None of these videos is a Unicat vehicle, I'm interested in buying an expedition vehicle, this video is from Unicat, do you say you do better than them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles