What LED headlamp for SAR

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I'm in the market for another head lamp to go on my SAR helmet. All the reviews I see seem dated.
Wot's recommended at the moment?

I currently use an Energiser 6LED. It's cheap and it works well for me. But I'm keen to broaden my horizons and maybe get something else
Petzl is the most widely available for me locally

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I second the PT Apex. I've used two over the last 4 years and they hold up well. I run a cheap Energizer for a spare...spare. I don't like the dark.
Chas

gabepari

Explorer
Another double thumps up for the Apex. The SAR teams that I've dealt with have an SOP to allow only devices that use AA batteries (so that you only need to carry one type of battery as a spare for all members) which the Apex does.

The Apex is also offered in the "Pro" version that takes CR123's like most tactical flashlights.

Fits helmets nicely and doesn't feel to big to wear without a helmet.

Gabe

Yudda

Adventurer
I hear the new Fenix HP10 is very good, I may pick one up.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=1774

Absolutely !

There is no question....check out the specs.

4 output levels, 3 flashing modes

Levels: 7 lumens (210 hrs) >> 50 lumens (22 hrs) >> 120 lumens (7.5 hrs) >> 225 lumens (total 2.5 hrs)
Flash modes: Strobe (5 hrs) >> SOS (50 hrs) >> Warning Flash (44 hrs)

Max lighting distance (throw): 120 meters

the 22hr level is perfect for walking..... then you touch the side button and 225 lumens !

In my experience it has good balance when worn and comfortable.

and the AA batteries it uses, also power the hand held flashlight i carry.

take care,

Rob

grizz

I use the energizer 7 led. 4 light modes. 3aaa. has worked out very well.
An at $20. u can have a couple.

yaknowthatguy

I'm a flashlight geek, with a particular penchant for headlamps.

I have a SureFire Saint and love it. Will run off 123 Lithiums or AA batteries. rheostat adjustable output. very even light output and VERY comfortable. It's the first headlamp I've thought enough of to buy two.

It has two drawbacks - one, it's not UL rated for explosive environments (doesn't matter to 99.999% of us, but for my job it does, so I have to use other headlamps). two, it's spendy.

not your average headlamp....but well worth it for versatilty, output, comfort and quality.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'm a flashlight geek, with a particular penchant for headlamps.

I have a SureFire Saint and love it. Will run off 123 Lithiums or AA batteries. rheostat adjustable output. very even light output and VERY comfortable. It's the first headlamp I've thought enough of to buy two.

It has two drawbacks - one, it's not UL rated for explosive environments (doesn't matter to 99.999% of us, but for my job it does, so I have to use other headlamps). two, it's spendy.

not your average headlamp....but well worth it for versatilty, output, comfort and quality.

Speaking of SF, I just picked up one of their new G2X Pro flashlights (15lumens low, 200lumens high). For $65 it's a damn steal!! Super light and compact. Thought you might be interested.

yaknowthatguy

The G2X Pro is probably the best bang for the buck that SureFire sells. I'm a dealer, but dont do a lot of volume, SF's markup percentage is quite low.

One brand I've seen out of China is Fenix flashlights. VERY impressive for build quality and light output (I have one, dont recall model # right now). Unless someone is hung up on getting SureFire for the brand name, I'd take a long hard look at Fenix. Dont know of a headlamp yet, but they have a good selection of handhelds with quite reasonable prices for their capacity. Their machining is about 97% the quality of SureFire, with a price around half. Worth at least a quick look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles