What leafs are recommended

cr500taco

Adventurer
I have a 97 Tacoma 4WD 3.4L extra cab and it's my DD. My suspension is pretty much stock except for Rancho shocks on all four corners and SuperSprings in the rear and everything is shot except maybe the SuperSprings. I am going to be getting the ext travel Icon's with TC UCA's and Icons in the rear in the near future and raise the suspension up 2.5" just for a little more clearance. But, right now I am going to be replacing my shocks with 5100 Billies until I can afford the Icons.
I plan on leaving my 31"X10.5"X15 on for the time being. Not sure if I want to get 33"s or not, yet.

For the rear, I am not sure what to do. The bed is mainly empty on a daily basis, except for maybe 100 lbs of tools in the bed. I do haul a couple of dirt bikes in the bed for day trips and camping gear along with the bikes for overnight/weekend trips. I also tow a pop up trailer and sometimes haul the bikes with the trailer at the same time.

I have seen the Dakar leafs and All Pro Expo leafs. I have heard that people aren't too happy with the Dakars because they don't flex that well and they are pretty stiff unloaded. The All Pros Expos are pretty popular and have gotten good feedback with people who haul weight. People seem to be happy with them while with bed is loaded and unloaded. But, the negative thing for me about the All Pros is that they are made for people who carry weight in the bed all of the time. The leafs lift the vehicle 4" with the bed empty and drop down an 1" with about 400 - 500 LBs in the bed. When the bed is empty, the rear will be 2.5" higher than the front with the Expos and I don't want that much rake, plus the Icons for the rear are only good for up to 3" lift.

I have thought about custom ordering Alcan or Deaver leafs that are similar to the Expos, but that give 2.5" lift. I don't mind the factory rake and that will actually be a good thing to keep, for adding weight.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'd give more thought to the Dakar, ran them on my 1996 (which requires mods just as it will on your 97) and run them on my '04 DC as well. They flex just fine:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...cket-03-DC-Tacoma-Build?p=1368227#post1368227

They are in fact setup for additional load capacity, I wouldn't call the ride 'stiff' sans load rather firm... then again I have ~250 lbs of constant load over the rear of my Tacoma, double/triple that when loaded for trips.

dcoy

Adventurer
I like my Alcans (they're on my Frontier, but same difference). Alcan can dial in the spring rate to whatever load you want and the amount of lift to whatever you want so there's not much more you can ask for. They're also custom made in the USA if that matters to you.

NCjeyota

I went with the Wheelersoffroad.com 5 leaf pack on my 04 Tacoma double cab, and I also had the Billie 5100 all the way around. It was a real smooth ride and only lifted it about. 2" in the rear. These leaf packs are built by Alcan.

Clutch

<---Pass
I went with the Wheelersoffroad.com 5 leaf pack on my 04 Tacoma double cab, and I also had the Billie 5100 all the way around. It was a real smooth ride and only lifted it about. 2" in the rear. These leaf packs are built by Alcan.

I broke a set of those, and it sounds like the OP uses his truck like I do. Camping, hauling dirt bikes, etc. (I drive like an old man BTW)

Have a set of Dakar Heavies on there now, yes, they are a little firm when unloaded, but handle weight very well. I can toss all my gear in the back, and the dirt bike
on the hitch carrier. Rides great loaded.

For when it is unloaded for DD use, I have 5/5 gallon water jugs at the tailgate for ballast. Easier to remove since they have handles, over sand bags. Plus always
good to have some extra water on board...at least out here in the desert.

austintaco

Explorer
I have the AP expo springs and I had the regular AP springs prior to that. You are correct about the ride height for the expo springs, but I have a Flippac and rear carrier so it works for me. With the regular AP springs, it was great unloaded or slightly loaded, but with the weight of the flippac and gear, it would sag.

With the range of what you do with your truck, and you don't mention doing any rock crawling, maybe go with a custom pack and air bags or a custom pack and timbrens?

cr500taco

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the replies and feedback. Sorry, I didn't get any emails, regarding the replies and I just checked the thread.

cruiseoutfitters, I heard that the overload springs on the Dakar leafs hinder the flex, is that not the case? The pics in the thread you posted are pretty impressive. I do plan on relocating the hangers, either way. I am sure there's a reason why Toyota made the leafs longer eye to eye. I have heard that relocating the hangars will give give it a little more flex and a little better ride. 250 lbs in the bed is noticeable to me in the ride with my stock springs. When I haul my dirt bike in the bed by itself, the ride is a little smoother and my bike is about 250lbs.

haddix, is your bed empty most of the time, like mine or do you have some weight in the bed constantly?

dcoy, I am highly considering ordering them Alcan or maybe Deaver. I contacted Alcan and they were really helpful and seem like they can build almost exactly what I want. I do realize that I night need to sacrifice ride quality a little.

NCjeyota, I contacted Wheelers and they recommended going with their 8 leafs by Alcan for my situation. I am considering those and using them with the Timbrens like ausitntaco, suggested.

austintaco, I halfway considered the standard AP springs, but only for just a minute. Thanks for the feedback on those, now I am glad that I decided against them. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling, don't really have an interest in that. I am planning on just using it for trails and desert stuff. Nothing fast or jumping like the desert rats, just want to be able to get through the desert at comfortable cruising speeds. I do want some decent flex for the trails. When I go out to the desert with the bikes and trailer, I mainly use the truck for a rescue vehicle, like when a bike breaks down or if someone get hurts. Also, I'll use it to go into town for supplies and depending on where we camp, sometimes I have to travel a couple of miles of desert trails/roads to get to the main road.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
With leaf springs (really any steel spring) you can't have it all. The will either be stiff unloaded or change a lot from empty to full load. You have to either accept that and deal with it as best as you can- adding ballast or dropping the rear tire pressure helps, or you have to make things adjustable. Airbags can do that, but they tend to limit travel. You can try running some helper shocks- air or coil-over. You can get some Timbrens and only throw em on when you're loaded heavy- still keeps max droop.

cr500taco

Adventurer
With leaf springs (really any steel spring) you can't have it all. The will either be stiff unloaded or change a lot from empty to full load. You have to either accept that and deal with it as best as you can- adding ballast or dropping the rear tire pressure helps, or you have to make things adjustable. Airbags can do that, but they tend to limit travel. You can try running some helper shocks- air or coil-over. You can get some Timbrens and only throw em on when you're loaded heavy- still keeps max droop.

Thanks, I realize that. I was thinking about getting standard leafs with the Timbrens. I am trying to figure out which route I want to take and if the extra capacity leafs like Dakar and All Pro will be too harsh for a DD when it's unloaded and if I do decide to go with the extra load capacity leafs, which will be the best route. I am looking into custom ordering leafs from Alcan. Also, like I have said, I have heard that Dakars don't flex as well and are pretty harsh compared to All Pro's Expo leafs with the bed empty. But, I like the fact that Dakar's are only 2.5" lift compared to All Pro Expos 4" with the bed empty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior