What LC would you suggest?

hikingff77

Adventurer
I'm trying to convince my wife on us getting a vehicle that we'll use primarily on long road trips and driving places where/when we've got more than just the four of us.

I was looking at the Astro AWD vans since they seat seven and have some good aftermarket tricks and would be good on the highway.

But after looking at the LC's on this page, mostly 80's series, I noticed the third row seating and thought it might suffice. Not to mention the reliability and how cool they can look.

One requirement, airbags for the front at a min.

Thoughts?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I am on a similar search - I think the FXJ-80+ is the only choice for what you are looking for if airbags are important. What is your budget? I have found these rigs to vary widely in price and condition is no reason.

tacollie

Glamper
I wouldn't rule out a uzj 100. It depends a lot on you price range but I have seen some go for the same price as the fzj80s.

davegonz

Explorer

I've owned two 80's and a 62 and can say that the 100 is the most comfy of the all on long road trips. That being said, it's also highly capable and has lot of after market support.

freshspecbluegt

Adventurer
airbags=1995-1997 80 series or the 100

Budget is a big factor

95-97 80 Series, in good shape,looking at 6-7K maybe 8, prices really seem to be all over the place
sub 100K mile rigs can go for double digits.

I think for the hundo, for one in good nick, your probably looking at 12K plus to get into an early one.

Probably want a couple of grand budgeted to catch up on the maintenance for either.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
80 or 100 series. Early 80 series are a bit underpowered, but later ones and 100 series have more beef! Both are capable and comfortable. So loop me in with the other guys, 80 or 100 is the way to go!

80 series jump seats are cool BTW!

Brian894x4

Explorer
You sound like a 100 series candidate to me. Doesn't sound like you're looking at major mods, need mostly a family vehicle that is capable right out of the box, but fairly stock. With the 100, you'll love it so much, you'll be using it at your daily driver, so you could probably get rid of a car and budget a little more.

The only thing about any of these Land Cruisers to remember is gas mileage. It will be horrible. Slightly better with the 100 than the 80. But horrible nonetheless.

If you're looking for a lighter duty familiy hauler that's still off road capable, there's also the Sequoia. I've ridden in the 3rd seat of a Sequoia and it's doable. The 80 3rd seat...not so much.

Good luck.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
If you're thinking 3rd row and lots of road trips, 100 series is the way to go.
The 2nd row in the 100 is coooommmffy :) Overall, interior is much more roomy.

hikingff77

Adventurer
I've considered the Sequoia, I really like the looks of it but it just seems too big. To much the size of an Ford expedition or something. I think the LC 80 is much more reasonable in size, although I don't know for sure.

Also does a Seq. have factory lockers?

The third row wouldn't be for adults, just extra kids if nesc. and if no extra kids, storage.

I've been seeing a lot of 80's for less than $7000, this would really be a spare vehicle per say, one that we could use for long trips and be stock off-road worthy.

The Seq.'s are very $$$ from what I can see.

Thanks.

You sound like a 100 series candidate to me. Doesn't sound like you're looking at major mods, need mostly a family vehicle that is capable right out of the box, but fairly stock. With the 100, you'll love it so much, you'll be using it at your daily driver, so you could probably get rid of a car and budget a little more.

The only thing about any of these Land Cruisers to remember is gas mileage. It will be horrible. Slightly better with the 100 than the 80. But horrible nonetheless.

If you're looking for a lighter duty familiy hauler that's still off road capable, there's also the Sequoia. I've ridden in the 3rd seat of a Sequoia and it's doable. The 80 3rd seat...not so much.

Good luck.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I've considered the Sequoia, I really like the looks of it but it just seems too big. To much the size of an Ford expedition or something. I think the LC 80 is much more reasonable in size, although I don't know for sure.

Also does a Seq. have factory lockers?

The third row wouldn't be for adults, just extra kids if nesc. and if no extra kids, storage.

I've been seeing a lot of 80's for less than $7000, this would really be a spare vehicle per say, one that we could use for long trips and be stock off-road worthy.

The Seq.'s are very $$$ from what I can see.

Thanks.

The Seq didn't come with lockers but with traction control. I've read that it can be quite frustrating at times as it can stop your progress in low traction conditions by using the brakes untill the vehicle has no momentum. Not sure on what years this was an issue or even the truth to it. $ for $ the Seq will be less expensive to purchase the a 100 series. The 100 series is built much heavier duty though. They share the same engine but the components on the Land Cruiser are built for much harder duty. Depending on your budget, the 100 series seems like a no-brainer. Much more comfortable to drive and live with on the highway, more interior space (tradeoff is that it is larger) than an 80, and 90% (Shotts would say 95%) as capable as an 80.

Personally if I was shopping for one truck to do everything that I enjoy to do, the 100 series would be number 1 on my list.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
The new Sequoias do not come with factory lockers. I don't even think that an aftermarket locker has been developed yet... ARB is still developing it.

The older ones are just as big as the LCs, but unfit for off road use... steer clear of them IMO

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
If our postee is not planning on "wheeling" and instead doing mainly forest roads...I'd take the Sequoia. Reliable and far more roomy. Will fit on the roads and basic trails. Week wheeling skills though.

Both 3rd rows are poor in the 80 and 100. Really poor in the 80. The second row on the 80 is moderate...100's is excellent. Tall drivers can't find the leg room in the 80. I'm 6' and luckily I got the seat mod before whathisname quit selling them that allows the driver's seat to go back further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles