What kind of rack to mount on trailer for future RTT?

2010armygreen

As the title says what kind of rack should I look at to mount a RTT at sometime.
I am getting a Sierra 4x4 trailer lid for my m416 trailer.
They have a track mount one I believe is a Rhino Rack for $350
I see Thule and Yakima make some as well but the price would be more.
Anyone have any experience with the Rhino Rack?
What do you have or suggest for this operation?

Box Rocket

I had mine mounted on Thule load bars for several years. Worked just fine. Look for some used ones and modify the feet to bolt to your lid. I paid $50 for mine and they worked great.

When I bought my new tent with an annex I ditched the Thule bars and built a custom telescoping rack to allow me to use the annex at full height.

brentbba

Explorer
Thule bars here too - 3 of them due to the weight of the EEZI-AWN Globetrotter.

BoxRocket - how did you modify the Thule feet? I assume to beef them up or make them more secure? Ask because on my last trip to DV the road back to the Racetrack took it's toll (bent rail) on a buddy's trailer. Bouncing around bent the rail the feet sit in. I've considered ditching the Thule set up for crossbars I can just bolt straight into the lid of my trailer.

nickmimi

Adventurer
I have the rhino rack as well on a sierra trailer. no real problems. just make sure to retighten everything after your trip.

20121210_162041.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130907_162754_zps2c464faf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Box Rocket

Thule bars here too - 3 of them due to the weight of the EEZI-AWN Globetrotter.

BoxRocket - how did you modify the Thule feet? I assume to beef them up or make them more secure? Ask because on my last trip to DV the road back to the Racetrack took it's toll (bent rail) on a buddy's trailer. Bouncing around bent the rail the feet sit in. I've considered ditching the Thule set up for crossbars I can just bolt straight into the lid of my trailer.

Yeah if you have access to a welder I would just cut the base of the feet and weld some 1/8" plate to the bottom for a new foot with a couple gussets and bolt that right to the lid of the trailer. The upper part of the feet are usually pretty strong.

GFA

Adventurer
I used factory rails off of an early 2000's ford expedition. Perfect fit on the lid of the M416 and were like $8 at the U-pull it yard. Crossbars are yakima's scored off CL for less than $50 with the correct feet for the tracks. I think I have $60 in the whole setup IIRC...

GFA

Adventurer
Best shot I have the rails..

They are also much stronger than the yakima or thule rails. I have the yakima rails on my hardtop and there is no comparison, you won't bend the Expo rails

Thanks Knot for a great idea!

The Ford Expedition rails are indeed strong. Bonus is that they are made with galvanized metal too! Only cost $11 each with hardware, gaskets, end caps, and 12+ hand tightened tie-down points (scavenged from 3 trucks).

They are 6' long which is perfect length, but could be trimmed to length if needed.

Didn't like the bulky look or latching mechanism for the Expedition cross bars. But there were plenty of Aerostar minivans in the yard. And the crossbars from the Aero will fit into the Expedition rails. So I grabbed 4 Aerostar crossbars. A whopping $13.50 for all 4 crossbars.

Will be easy to trim crossbars to custom width based on where I set the rails.

The Aerostar crossbars are probably not up to the task of a RTT, but in the meantime will be perfect for fishing poles, a roof rack, a canoe, sand ladders, or dual bike racks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94