What kind of problems have you had with your Fuso?

biggoolies

Adventurer
I had bad vibration from my front right. Balancing of any kind didn’t not help. Even ruined a tire. I changed to my spare rim and she is smooth a silk with brand new tires. The rim was obviously fubar. Oem rims

Last edited:

Zuber

I had Schwab's balance my front tires. They put the stick-on weights more in the center of the rim than previous. Well the first time I touched the brakes the wheels just about hopped off the ground. The weights were touching the brake drum and distorted it. I moved them back to the original place near the edge of the rim and everything was good.

The transfer case was making a lot of high pitched whine at 20k miles. I put in Amsoil 75-90 full synth GL4 and it is much quieter now.

I couldn't find a GL4 gear oil in any of the local stores. Manual transmission are just not around these days. So, it was easy to just push a button and have Amsoil land on the front porch. Same for the 5-30 diesel oil.

Anyone have issues running 5-40w diesel oil instead of the 5-30?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Did a rotate and balance. Shimmy seems to have gone away but I've only driven about 20 miles. I've had a whine on mine for as long as I've owned it, mostly evident when driving alongside a jersey barrier. How did you figure out it was the transfer case? How much oil does the transfer case take?

Last edited:

Zuber

Did a rotate and balance. Shimmy seems to have gone away but I've only driven about 20 miles. I've had a whine on mine for as long as I've owned it, mostly evident when driving alongside a jersey barrier. How did you figure out it was the transfer case? How much oil does the transfer case take?

It's all in the owners manual. 3.8 qts of 80 or 90 wt GL4 gear oil. GL5 is easy to find, but don't use it in transmissions!

This transfer case is different than most. Others will just pass power directly through in 2WD and the gears don't move. The one on the FUSO has the input shaft up high and both output shafts are at the bottom. So, it must run all power through gears even in 2WD. Also, if the noise came from the transmission, it would change depending on the gear you are in. This whine just increased with road speed.

Hey guys figured I would ask this thread. Just put my super singles on. The ride is awesome truck feels like it will go anywhere. However when I get to about 35 to 45 mph I get a serious wobble in the steering. It mostly goes away around 50mph. Any ideas? Would a bad alignment cause this? Steering wheel is off a bit but it tracks well. Tires were used to they are not perfect but I wanted to make sure the 37s would be a fit before I bit the bullet on new ones. In a bit of a pinch cause I leave Tuesday for a 1000mile road trip.

Attachments

• 00A78657-3E21-4C94-B184-F776EDB661CC.jpeg
    00A78657-3E21-4C94-B184-F776EDB661CC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Your problem could be caused by numerous reasons, two of the main ones being wear in the linkages or balance of the tyres.
The first thing I would try would be to swap fronts for rears, to see if that changes anything. That is a zero cost test.

westyss

Explorer
Hey guys figured I would ask this thread. Just put my super singles on. The ride is awesome truck feels like it will go anywhere. However when I get to about 35 to 45 mph I get a serious wobble in the steering. It mostly goes away around 50mph. Any ideas? Would a bad alignment cause this? Steering wheel is off a bit but it tracks well. Tires were used to they are not perfect but I wanted to make sure the 37s would be a fit before I bit the bullet on new ones. In a bit of a pinch cause I leave Tuesday for a 1000mile road trip.
Sounds like tires.

Changed one up front. Didn’t change much. Got to do the other yet. Alignment shop said the tierod is bad and won’t hold alignment. So guessing the slop from that is the cause.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As I said... the likely cause would probably be worn steering components or tyre balance.
A worn tie rod definitely falls into that category.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94