What is this?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I found the photo below when I was searching for pics of older Hilux double-cab trucks. That is a late model Hilux in the photo below, that much I now. What I don't know, is what that TRD labeled, yellow device with the line and hook is. Anyone know what that is? Rear mounted factory winch?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
My best guess was winch too. I could see the sticker being owner applied. I'm still kinda confused about the hook being on a roller though...? What's at the other end that goes up towards the spare tire?

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The other end is anchored somewhere, likely to the frame. This doubles the pulling power of the winch, like using a snatch block. It doesn't leave you with much reach though, especially with a short-drum winch. Maybe it does have a specific work application just behind the truck, like pulling something up onto a trailer...

Interesting find--I've never seen it done that way before.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The other end is anchored somewhere, likely to the frame. This doubles the pulling power of the winch, like using a snatch block. It doesn't leave you with much reach though, especially with a short-drum winch. Maybe it does have a specific work application just behind the truck, like pulling something up onto a trailer...

Interesting find--I've never seen it done that way before.

x2, simply a snatch block system with the free end likely tied back to a cross-member or perhaps the spare tire carrier cross-member. I'd venture to guess it is used exactly as you guessed, pull stuff on a trailer.

DaVikes

Adventurer
Just guessing, but I think the sticker above the winch probably refers to it's max load of 500kg. (1100 lbs) That looks about right for the size of the winch and it's line. More fascinating is the truck itself. I did a google image search and found that the Hilux is a 1990 4 door with only 42,000 miles on it. It's for sale for $10.900. The downside is that it is in Japan. The truck also does not appear to have a hitch, so I'm not sure about the theory that the winch was used to put stuff on a trailer. http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/toyota/hilux/11837713/photo/?sid=300&pn=3

TacoFWC

Observer
Just guessing, but I think the sticker above the winch probably refers to it's max load of 500kg. (1100 lbs) That looks about right for the size of the winch and it's line. More fascinating is the truck itself. I did a google image search and found that the Hilux is a 1990 4 door with only 42,000 miles on it. It's for sale for $10.900. The downside is that it is in Japan. The truck also does not appear to have a hitch, so I'm not sure about the theory that the winch was used to put stuff on a trailer. http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/toyota/hilux/11837713/photo/?sid=300&pn=3

I'm ready for those roll bars to make a comeback...

Check out that 4x4
Texaco_1985[1].jpg

4xdog

Explorer
Just guessing, but I think the sticker above the winch probably refers to it's max load of 500kg. (1100 lbs)...

The 500 kg sticker almost certainly refers to load-carrying capacity in the bed, not the winch. Those kind of markings are common in Asia.

7echo

Adventurer
I am with FrenchieXJ. With gas prices like that we could afford all sorts of cool mods like the old school roll bars!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94