What is this Thing? (Pop-up Nissan/Datsun)

MikeCG

Adventurer
Nice. Definitely some potential. Would make a great off-road weekender if it were swapped onto a 4x4 chassis. It actually looked about the same size as a Chinook to me, but one a Nissan/Datsun chassis like you said.

Athansinis

From what I have seen elsewhere they are called Bandits. They seem slightly bigger than the Chinook, but it might only be in the piece that hangs over the cab. I believe that, like the Chinook, these could be found on Chevy, Datsuns, and Toyotas. If I had a place for it, I'd love to get this. I dream about putting one of these on my T100 or an early Tundra.

Edit: If you want to see an amazing version of the Toyota, do a Google image search for Toyota Bandit.

xoblaim

Observer
I have a 76 Toyota Chinook, so maybe I will go and check it out. Do the Datsuns have the same reputation as Toyotas? The 20R in my Chinook has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walrus

Observer
I have a 76 Toyota Chinook, so maybe I will go and check it out. Do the Datsuns have the same reputation as Toyotas? The 20R in my Chinook has been great.

This truck will have a Nissan/Datsun L-series engine (L18B or L20B) I would say that along with Toyota's R motor the L-series is one of the most reliable robust 4bangers out there. It's used in the 240z, datsun 510, datsun trucks, and others. They take a turbo well and came with efi stock in Japan.

MikeCG

Adventurer
This truck will have a Nissan/Datsun L-series engine (L18B or L20B) I would say that along with Toyota's R motor the L-series is one of the most reliable robust 4bangers out there. It's used in the 240z, datsun 510, datsun trucks, and others. They take a turbo well and came with efi stock in Japan.

Slight correction. The Z cars had an inline-6 and a 4. I had a 1972 240Z. engine rev'd like a street bike. They were also carbureted. Which is probably better. I also had a 1979 280Z that had fuel injection. Their fuel injection back then was crap. I think it was mechanical fuel injection and not electronic, also, though I'm not positive. The engines were pretty solid though.

xoblaim

Observer
I realized that after I took a closer look at the pictures. The vents behind the doors are a giveaway.

I went looked at it in person. The engine seems to idle fine. If I bought it I would probably gut the camper and start over in back.

Athansinis

xoblaim, do you happen to know how wide the interior is over the cab? I'm wondering if adults can sleep there but I've never been able to see one in person or find an answer online. It seems like the Chinook is too small, but this one looks like it has a bit more room.

xoblaim

Observer
@Athansinis I still don't think an average sized adult could sleep up there. Sleeping across is maybe a little bit bigger than the Chinook and the width is bigger, but it would be hard to sleep up there outside the fetal position.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I realized that after I took a closer look at the pictures. The vents behind the doors are a giveaway.

I went looked at it in person. The engine seems to idle fine. If I bought it I would probably gut the camper and start over in back.

More details? What does it need? What 20r? Rust, etc.

Athansinis

@Athansinis I still don't think an average sized adult could sleep up there. Sleeping across is maybe a little bit bigger than the Chinook and the width is bigger, but it would be hard to sleep up there outside the fetal position.

Thanks, good to know. I was thinking a bandit might be perfect for me, but looks like I will need to keep searching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior