What is the top tool for a recovery situation? [Poll]

What is the top tool for a recovery situation?

• Shovel

• Winch

• Traction Board

• Tire Repair Kit

• Strap/Rope

• Air Compressor

• Jack

Results are only viewable after voting.

jadmt

ignore button user
I answered Jack first off without reading any responses, because I was thinking what would I not want to be stuck in a remote area without.

Never had a rig with a winch, but many times I've been stuck or high centered and just jacking up the truck (even a few times) and filling ruts before lowering again has done the trick. Also, tough to change a flat without a jack
not in a jeep you just find a rock to flex on and lift a tire. :)
IMG_0686%201_zpsy5kksirx.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'd like to know the story behind this pic. Looks interesting.

Dan.

As I recall, that's one of the photos that surfaced after some huge storms hit CA Last year.
Mammoth lakes and surrounding got near 40' of snow in a matter of days.
It happened fast enough that many people ditched their cars right on the roads in order to escape.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Well, I seem to be different to most. And that's OK. :)
I answered on the basis that it was the ONLY item I could have from the list and I chose COMPRESSOR.
That would be the recovery item I use more than any other. 10 times more than second (the shovel) and 100 times more than the winch. I don't carry sand boards. Lower pressures work just as well in mud as in sand.
I have a whole picture album called "Bogged". :rolleyes:
Something simple like this simply needs lower tyre pressures and drive out. No need to get the shovel out, but the secret is to stop soon enough. Not having a compressor would mean driving a very long way afterwards at very low speeds. We almost always travel alone.
0910 (3).JPG
Cheers,
Peter.
OKA196 otorhome

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
i stand by my statement. i specifically said, a winch and the knowledge to use it. 99% of you dont have that knowledge, even if you think you do.

take a hands on class.

here in the northeast, i would have three things. a dependable winch (with associated rigging gear), a shovel, and a chainsaw. in that order.

Oh gees.....that is a pretty big soap box you are standing on there.....

762X39

Explorer
I reread the title and it asked what is the top tool. No where did it say the only tool... As a matter of course, any vehicle I drive anywhere has an air compressor, shovel, jack, snatch strap, extra fuel, extra water, a change of clothes, blanket and cell phone (all but useless in 90 percent of Canada north of 600km of the southern border as I have discovered). Only the Mercedes has a 12,000 pound Warn winch but it is disintegrating due to lack of use. The traction boards get periodic use and I like them. Most World travelers also have everything but the Winch in their kit.

MOguy

Explorer
It probably has taken longer to read this than it has to recover myself many times. I have never needed a shovel other than to dig a hole to poop in but I can understand why other might. I have had to use a jack to stack rocks or remove rocks so I could winch out and not damage things.

For me a strap and a buddy has always been the most useful, then the winch. I wheel in the woods and between the trees and those I am wheeling with I have never not had an anchor point BUT if you wheel alone in other types of terrain you may not have one.

Be smart, think about where you going and what you will need.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94