What is the top tool for a recovery situation? [Poll]

What is the top tool for a recovery situation?

• Shovel

• Winch

• Traction Board

• Tire Repair Kit

• Strap/Rope

• Air Compressor

• Jack

Results are only viewable after voting.

OverlandTrade

Nothing beats a trip out on the trails, but we all know you run the risk of getting into some tricky situations and getting stuck out there. What is the number one item you MAKE SURE YOU HAVE, for a recovery situation?

I know there that are more than one items that you want to with you to get out of a situation, but what is your #1 go to?

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Cell phone
That is indeed a helpful tool to have, but a lot of places in the country don't have full coverage cell service and without coverage a cell phone is just extra baggage, I never go out without a shovel and a handyman jack, If I HAD to leave one at home it would probably be the handyman but then I probably wouldn't go without it.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Don't have a no 1. that is like asking which of your kids do you love the most.
With all the chatter I hear about weight considerations it becomes apparent that the more recovery gear one carries it becomes an issue of how good you are with the minimum, the bare essentials if you will. traveling alone makes the case for a bit more equipment as there is no one to pull you out and experience is a great teacher.
there is always a 'gee I wish I had brought that' to deal with and knowing what the trail has in store for you might be a real difference in what one carries.
I actually carry all of the things on that list and none is really less important than the other, it's just how one uses it. I suppose if there was only one thing I could carry it would be enough smarts to know when to turn around. The older I get the less I have to prove. Do a little research about the trail you are traveling on and be prepared for anything.

edit: if you only can have access to one, stay home

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Kind of a hard question without more information.

For example:

You have tire repair kit and winch as possible answers. If I have a tire puncture, then a winch isn't going to help me much. And if you are stuck to your door sills in mud, a tire repair kit isn't going to be much help.

A winch is useless if you don't have an anchor.

A strap/rope isn't very valuable absent another vehicle to "pull" you.

Air compressor kinda useless in the mud scenario......really useless in every situation except a flat tire.

Anyhow......

F350joe

I think the intent is to ask if you only had access to one, which would you grab. I chose a recovery board because it can also be used as a shovel and gives you the best chance at recovery. I have had winches in every truck and only used them to pull other people out. The few times I got stuck, I had nothing to attach to or needed the winch in the back and not the front. I’m building out a GX470 now and decided for the first time to not include a winch. I’ll probably regret it on the first trip out but I will have boards and won’t wait to use them until I am buried.

OverlandTrade

I’ve had trouble finding solid information on off-road recovery tips. I feel like there’s not a ton of good info on the topic.

Any good articles I should check out to help me be more prepared?

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Sources?
Google,
YouTube,
Magazines,
Books (found in the Public Library still)
Videos (also found in the Library)
Clubs (club events, trail rides, forums)
Forums,
Companies offering training (Bill Burke, Matt Balazsi, etc...)
Events (OE, Cruise MoAb, anything with Jeep in the event title, etc)

I appreciate you asking the questions, but there is a wealth of resources at your fingertips to start your education and once you have a baseline of information finetune it with experience, friends and experts. I just don't see how a quick social media poll gets you there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94