What is the lowest profile RTT?

ToyCarrier

Observer
Who makes the lowest profile RTT? I really like the look of the hard shell RTT's when closed but the space is less than a soft shell and price is a lot more $$. I'm looking for a setup that is capable of having an annex for the dog/bathroom but it needs to have as low of a profile as possible to not completely destroy fuel mileage. What are my options?

My vehicle is an 08 Grand Cherokee

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Probably a maggiolina. I've had one on several vehicles and impact to mileage wasn't honestly noticable on either one.

They only weigh about 100-150lbs or so, I think, so it's a pretty good option for your stated requirements.

They're spendy nowadays, but you can find them used every so-often for good prices.

java

Expedition Leader
Probably a maggiolina. I've had one on several vehicles and impact to mileage wasn't honestly noticable on either one.

They only weigh about 100-150lbs or so, I think, so it's a pretty good option for your stated requirements.

They're spendy nowadays, but you can find them used every so-often for good prices.

definitely lowest profile. But no annex/changing room

ToyCarrier

Observer
So Maggiolina has an even lower profile than say the Columbus or from another brand like CVT, James Baroud or Roost?

galvyork

Adventurer
Yes magnolia is lowest. A regular RTT folds over on its self the magnolia drops straight down. Its longer when closed but thinner

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
If you're willing to wait a few months, CV sells the Mount Baker and Mount St. Helens. Both are shell tents and lower profile than their regular tents. The Mt. St. Helens is very similar to the Maggiolina. They are moving production locations. Hence the wait.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
So, Wreckdiver, I'll bite, what makes the Mt Baker and Helens worth the wait. Why not buy a clone off eBay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The James Baroud tents are awesome. Definitely the nicest RTT I've seen. We'll have a short review in the upcoming issue of Overland Journal and a very comprehensive review here on the ExPo front page shortly after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94