What is the best portable power? Yeti, ARK? Is there another?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I always want to be sensitive about sharing links because I know the community is here! But since you asked, here is our complete review: http://jeepsies.com/independent-review-aimtom-540wh-portable-power-station/.
Seems like the 540wh unit you tested is no longer available. Hmmm....

They do have a 500wh version that sells for $469.00

EDIT: Found it. Being sold under a different name but appears identical. $449.00

https://www.amazon.com/ROCKPALS-Portable-Station-Generator-Emergency/dp/B07XFLDF7C/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=aimtom+power&qid=1593195124&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN1Q2QVFEWEIzUU1CJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzYzMTc5MVkyRUlRU1FWMTNWRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDg3Mzg0MzhITDFaMzFEM1NUWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One of the frustrating things about cross-shopping these is the confusing way in which they rate their power. If I'm calculating this correctly (corrections welcomed) 540 watt hours would be equal to a 12v battery with about 45 AH (540wh / 12 v = 45.) Is that right?

So basically half of my current ~90ah lead-acid battery, but (theoretically) about the same since the 90ah battery should not be discharged more than 50%. So a usable 45ah either way.

I like that it's small and light. My battery is over 70lbs and I'm charging it through a 20a DC-DC charger. Probably overkill for what I'm using. This one might have to go in the 'wish list' for the future.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
One of the frustrating things about cross-shopping these is the confusing way in which they rate their power. If I'm calculating this correctly (corrections welcomed) 540 watt hours would be equal to a 12v battery with about 45 AH (540wh / 12 v = 45.) Is that right?

So basically half of my current ~90ah lead-acid battery, but (theoretically) about the same since the 90ah battery should not be discharged more than 50%. So a usable 45ah either way.

I like that it's small and light. My battery is over 70lbs and I'm charging it through a 20a DC-DC charger. Probably overkill for what I'm using. This one might have to go in the 'wish list' for the future.
Yep that's right, my 40Ah is 512w

4x4tripping

Adventurer
For me the Yeti 400 is the best solution on the market. Many Overlanders did use it for living extended out in the nature, exclusively using solar.

I did review that in details here: https://www.4x4tripping.com/2020/06/eine-mobile-autarke-solaranlage.html

But it has some weak points:

- Solar just 120W
- Solarcharger non MPPT (on Yeti 400)
- Car Charging just 5/10A
- 110/220v Charging (Home or Campsites) very weak (5A)
- Battery non Lifepo (and strong enough, but need some powermanagement)

For shure, there are also the Yeti 1000 /2000 arround, but they fight with the same limitations for charging like listened above.

When you can wait - give the marked a year more and you will get a much better solution (too from goalzero).

I did detect the (for me perfect solution) who the company use crowdfunding for bring it on the market.

Here is my comparison:

I have ordered one (and risk my investment) - I will make detailed review soon it arrive.

Ecoflow has already good products on the market like these: https://www.maurelma.ch/shop/index.php?cat=WG626&product=160051

I`m shure also other company`s are working on new stuff. But this ecoflow R600 Pro is exactly what we need!

- strong Lifepo Battery
- MPPT Solarcharger
- 220W Solar Panels
- 100W Usb-C Power (enough for even a Macbook pro)
- Quick Charging at 110v/220v
- Stronger 110v/220 Konverter

Conclusion:

If you need a solution now: The Goal Zero 400 should do the job. If you can wait 6-8 Months - the competitors bring much better products on the market.

Surfy

Last edited:
any consideration for nite-core units?

(16:00 minutes)
The NPS-400 looks good though still pricey compared to the Jackery 500. I'm currently building a dual battery system with an AGM battery and am considering something in the 200-500W range as a backup when the car is not being used. These things are in the $200-$500 range and that is comparable to some of the solar panels I'm also looking at. My thinking is to use the Group 34 house AGM as a primary source for fridge and camp lights and charge the battery when driving (as opposed to having that and a portable or roof mounted solar panel) and use these as a backup to plug in the fridge at night or when the house battery doesn't have sufficient juice. They take up less space compared a good quality portable hard-case 90-140 Watt solar panel.

For those running 200-500 W systems, how much real world fridge (40L for fridge (no freezer) for example) run time can one expect? I think the $200-$500 space is getting interesting in terms of the number of options some of the newer trucks have. That's the cost of a decent quality roof mounted solar panel, about the cost of upgrading to a more powerful alternator, or buying one of these 20-40 AH Lithium systems.

Last edited:

Recommended books for Overlanding

Steve321

The PLB-40 is limited to 8Amp charging via solar or cig lighter input.
PRO - most 12v cigarette lighter can max it out
CON - it's very slow charging. Five hours from empty to full if you need to use the full charge each night.

I'm currently trying to figure out how best to keep it up and running. My rooftop solar panel (is 100W) only gives 5Amp in ideal conditions - which happens to be when bright sunlight is beating on the truck, which means the fridge really struggles.

Only had this current setup a short time, not yet convinced it's viable. If you drive several hours a day (ample time for charging by the car) without fail it probably works.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The NPS-400 looks good though still pricey compared to the Jackery 500. I'm currently building a dual battery system with an AGM battery and am considering something in the 200-500W range as a backup when the car is not being used. These things are in the $200-$500 range and that is comparable to some of the solar panels I'm also looking at. My thinking is to use the Group 34 house AGM as a primary source for fridge and camp lights and charge the battery when driving (as opposed to having that and a portable or roof mounted solar panel) and use these as a backup to plug in the fridge at night or when the house battery doesn't have sufficient juice. They take up less space compared a good quality portable hard-case 90-140 Watt solar panel.

For those running 200-500 W systems, how much real world fridge (40L for fridge (no freezer) for example) run time can one expect? I think the $200-$500 space is getting interesting in terms of the number of options some of the newer trucks have. That's the cost of a decent quality roof mounted solar panel, about the cost of upgrading to a more powerful alternator, or buying one of these 20-40 AH Lithium systems.
My Dometic PLB-40 will run my ARB47L for about 2 and a half days running the PLB down to the recommended 20% SOC I could take it lower but there is no point because it charges fast So might as well protect the battery/PLB-40.

My Dometic PLB-40 will run my ARB47L for about 2 and a half days running the PLB down to the recommended 20% SOC I could take it lower but there is no point because it charges fast So might as well protect the battery/PLB-40.
Thanks for this. I guess we are just a few years away before the cost of these systems (40-80 AH range batteries) begin achieving parity with the cost of setting up a dual battery system, with all the wiring, brackets associated with them (realizing that if these things break you need to buy the whole thing compared to a dual battery system that is unlikely to have a complete system failure).

Particularly interested to see how this thing does in the real world when it comes out. I believe that's a 125 AH Lithium battery in there along with a 2000 Watt inverter.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thanks for this. I guess we are just a few years away before the cost of these systems (40-80 AH range batteries) begin achieving parity with the cost of setting up a dual battery system, with all the wiring, brackets associated with them (realizing that if these things break you need to buy the whole thing compared to a dual battery system that is unlikely to have a complete system failure).

Particularly interested to see how this thing does in the real world when it comes out. I believe that's a 125 AH Lithium battery in there along with a 2000 Watt inverter.

They look impressive but they are mega expensive and I have found heaps of them but no one has any in stock,

My PLB-40 will Run my ARB78L/82Qt Fridge for quite a while but the reality is these power packs only have to power the fridge during the Dark hours because as soon as the sun comes up you can charge them via Solar or if you are on the Road you can charge them back up via the Cigar Socket within 1 or 2 hours, And for off grid use they can be charged by Solar on a daily bases So the PLB-40 is the best all rounder,

Reactions: WVI

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
A new company called Aimtom reached out to us and wanted us to try their portable battery (full disclosure: we ended up receiving one at no cost). We were originally skeptical because we'd never heard of them and had our eye on a product from the industry leader. However, the Aimtom unit is lighter, provides more power, and has more ports for charging options. We've now had it for over six months, including 2,000 miles through Baja out of our JKU, and the unit performed flawlessly. Highly recommend Aimtom be added to the research list.

What model ?