What is the base vehicle for a Four Wheel Camper Flatbed?

rruff

Explorer
He's concerned about wear and tear on the camper. Those guys that had the Tundra in your photo had an issue with their flatbed bolts coming loose and sheering off. I think he is worried about the situation. He's a belt and suspenders type of guy.
Interesting, I didn't know that! But I wonder if the bolt issues were just an installation error or something else that is easy to remedy (add more bolts, bigger bolts, longer bolts, lock them, etc). Do you know where that was mentioned by any chance? If the frame or flatbed was breaking, that would be a problem! Based on that photo I think the frame and flatbed combined have created a stiff unit... stress on the camper would be minimal.

I'm using flexible mounting between the frame and camper on mine, so the rear can pivot... no actual flatbed. Hope it works...

billiebob

True, but a set of different springs or some bags will remedy that. Look at Trail Recon on youtube. Has a slide in on his PW, and went with Carli rear springs that raised his payload a bit more over stock, and also has adjustable bags.
You can do many things but the factory GVWR is one thing you cannot change legally without involving an engineer. Exceed the number ob the a pillar and you are liable for the results. Buy the vehicle rated to carry the load.

youtube is hardly a good resource

Don't take my word tho.... ask the guys who write tickets for over loaded trucks.

rruff

Explorer
Don't take my word tho.... ask the guys who write tickets for over loaded trucks.

Only heard of that for commercial trucks. Private owners can do as they like. Might get pulled over for egregious stupidity... but that won't be a weight sticker violation.

85_Ranger4x4

Only heard of that for commercial trucks. Private owners can do as they like. Might get pulled over for egregious stupidity... but that won't be a weight sticker violation.

If you get in a wreck, the other guys insurance company will use it as leverage against you. And your insurance company may void your policy.

If you can live with that I guess that is up to you.

And they do make campers for smaller trucks if you have to have a Tundra. Mine was built for 1980's compact trucks lol.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The best base vehicle in my view, is forward control, but it seems that you blokes don't have access to them? Shame.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

rruff

Explorer
The best base vehicle in my view, is forward control, but it seems that you blokes don't have access to them? Shame.

Have to go custom. It does seem a little odd that in a relatively small country (<8% of the US population) manufacturers can afford to sell and support so many cool 4x4 vehicles and overlanding equipment, compared to the US and Canada. I visited Australia in the 80s and you didn't seem to have much then. As I recall there was a ubiquitous Ford sedan and not much else. I'd bet our 4x4 pickup per capita is really high but the great majority of these are used as commuter vehicles that rarely go off pavement. I guess I shouldn't complain... when I go into the backcountry I prefer to not see other people.

rruff

Explorer
If you get in a wreck, the other guys insurance company will use it as leverage against you. And your insurance company may void your policy.

They'd have to show that my rig is inherently unsafe... and it won't be. I'll be able to stop and maneuver better than all the big motorhomes and trucks out there, and better than the great majority of 1 ton trucks hauling campers.

We discussed this in a long thread a little over a month ago. Insurance companies and the law pay no attention to the weight sticker for private owners. They weigh commercial vehicles because they pay taxes according to their GVWR.

tacollie

Glamper
Interesting, I didn't know that! But I wonder if the bolt issues were just an installation error or something else that is easy to remedy (add more bolts, bigger bolts, longer bolts, lock them, etc). Do you know where that was mentioned by any chance? If the frame or flatbed was breaking, that would be a problem! Based on that photo I think the frame and flatbed combined have created a stiff unit... stress on the camper would be minimal.

I'm using flexible mounting between the frame and camper on mine, so the rear can pivot... no actual flatbed. Hope it works...
I think they talked about it on their social media somewhere. My guess is the torque on the bolts should have checked after 500 miles or something like that.

FAW3

Adventurer
View attachment 692695View attachment 692695
This is my version of a flatbed. When you do the math on a full load out of your camper if you want to stay under the GVWR on the placard you need a one ton truck. If that doesn’t matter to you then you have options

Looks like a well thought out rig. I hope you have some type of rear view camera...that rear end looks fairly "soft" in regards to feeling your way backwards. How does this weigh out loaded?

wfv56

Yes indeed a rear view camera and about 400 below placard with 40 gallons of water and full fuel. That includes ny wife and I and 2 bikes. That load out varies some trip to trip. If I delete the pedal bikes and add my Kim 500 the gap to max GVWR gets pretty small.

billiebob

correct, and not correct... until you have that accident and the officer thinks.... maybe this guy is overweight.....
You get the same ticket as a commercial truck if you are over weight.
A buddy got one in his Ford Ranger with a box full of firewood.
Obviously and excessively over weight.

Over weight is the same regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne