What is gained by a gas 3/4-1 ton over 1/2 ton truck?

plumber mike

Adventurer
Toys too. I’m not just “surviving” out in the woods. I’m using it to “live life” away from home. Rackets, balls, skateboards, bikes, things that float. I plan to have just as much enjoyment stopping in a cool town as I do in the woods. Ok maybe not just as much, but hey we make the best of it.1097D143-418E-489A-B403-AE3AD60AC4D3.jpeg

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Why do people need to bring 1500lbs+ worth of ******** to go camping?

The problem is that the definition of that word means different things for many. For one it's a 14 days solo trip in Northwest Maine and for another one it's staying in a campsite in NJ.

But the payload has very important usage in other outdoor activities such as hunting, especially the duck hunting as you need a lot of gear + 2 dogs (normally) + canoe / boat (if don't want to tow a big one) + food / water + many other stuff. It is also likely you will have 3 people in the car.
It is very typical to reach 1800lb in such trips. If you decide that you will camp in the site then you will need at least 200lb gear on top of everything.

And recently people started brining dirt bikes / e-bikes for scouting.
So yeah some people do need a 2000lb + payload.

If this is what one does then you better get an HD truck even just for safety sake.
-----

I have recently started noticing cargo vans outfitted for those outdoor activities (hunting, fishing).
I am not surprised since they have got a lot more payload capacity.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Another advantage of HD over a half ton is sometimes a lack of dod or afm which can be problematic and the repair of which can negate any fuel savings $ the half ton has.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Toys too. I’m not just “surviving” out in the woods. I’m using it to “live life” away from home. Rackets, balls, skateboards, bikes, things that float. I plan to have just as much enjoyment stopping in a cool town as I do in the woods. Ok maybe not just as much, but hey we make the best of it.View attachment 732570
Exactly. I'm not going out to audition for 'Alone'. We want to have fun and enjoy ourselves.

FYI, if you haven't watched Alone, I recommend it:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I have recently started noticing cargo vans outfitted for those outdoor activities (hunting, fishing).
I am not surprised since they have got a lot more payload capacity.

Yup!

Unless you bring along a big family, a van is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. HUGE cargo capacity compared to any pickup truck...bought my first van in 1972 and still vannin' today!

With the dirt bike in the back....
P1050923.jpg

But, since I'm now crowding 80 years old, most of the time it's the Yamaha Kodiak:
P1070597r.jpg

TexasSixSeven

Observer
A half ton is limited by its physical capabilities. A 3/4 ton or 1 ton is limited by the sticker on the door, as their physical capabilities far exceed what they law says they’re capable of.

Walkers

Sounds like you’re talking about a Tundra. The absolute most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without doing much of anything useful. I’ve got an 18’ Tundra and a 22’ F250 for reference, and have had 2 other Tundras as well as a few handfuls of 3/4 and 1 tons.
I have a ‘13 Chebby 2500. I have about a thousand pounds in the bed (welder, compressor, etc) and I average 10.4 mpg

Zuber

I'm looking to upgrade my 4runner (needing more room and utility) and looking at a full size truck. Have had a F250 diesel crew cab and Silverado extended cab 1500.

Been looking at different options, the Ram PW always ranks high on these lists, and I know for the Rams and Ford's there is a solid axle over the independent suspension in front (GM still has the IFS).

What else is gained? Power, strength, payload (in most cases) and space, but is the juice worth the squeeze? HD parts for maintenance and repair, heavier tires/overall weight, etc.

I like having the ability to tow, and a camper isn't out of the picture down the road. Towing cars here and there as needed. But, it's not the norm, and I know that 1/2 tons can do that no problem.

Room for 5 and a couple pups, and daily driver and adventure a few times a year, east coast, but potentially eyeing some west coast trips

Ahhh, another unicorn hunt.

Well daily driver is opposite of hauling a camper/towing. So, you need to decide which is more important or more likely. The HD will satisfy everything except daily driving mileage. The 1/2 ton 'may' haul/tow what you need, but it won't be any fun or even safe.

There are a lot of Power Wagon's out there now used because the fuel mileage scared a few off. These are a decent deal. The soft rear springs are the limiting factor in haul/tow, everything else is full 3/4 ton. So, a set of air bags and you'd be set.

Myself - my daily drive is 15-30 miles one way, so a 2019+ RAM 2500 with a Cummins is perfect. Rides great with coil springs all around. Gets 18-23 mpg empty and 16+ towing. I added the Carli Pintop suspension and it's now beyond cRaptor territory.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I have a ‘13 Chebby 2500. I have about a thousand pounds in the bed (welder, compressor, etc) and I average 10.4 mpg

I’ve had 4 - 6.0 2500 Chevys from 2012 - 2014 models. With a trailer running 90 I’d get 10.0. Empty with a tailwind driving like grandpa I’d get 10.5 ? those things didn’t fluctuate at all. They just got horrible mileage 24/7 lol

I couldn’t kill them though. They got rode hard and put up wet every day of their lives. I put a little over 500K on them in 5.5 years, with the majority of that being on 2 trucks.

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Why do you even need a car.... just go as a homeless person.
I do, I go backpacking Sometimes. It’s wonderful, I take 30 lbs of gear on my back. Goes toe to toe with any “expedition” out there. Way more immersive in the outdoors, way more technical terrain, way more wild life, way further from the generators in the next camp spot.

camping is great, but if people went backpacking they would have better perspective.

billiebob

I do, I go backpacking Sometimes. It’s wonderful, I take 30 lbs of gear on my back. Goes toe to toe with any “expedition” out there. Way more immersive in the outdoors, way more technical terrain, way more wild life, way further from the generators in the next camp spot.

camping is great, but if people went backpacking they would have better perspective.
yep.... or just go mountaineering..... go where no vehicle has ever gone.... I drove a 1975 Trans Am to get here lol.

Mike Nicholas Peak.jpeg

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
. . . I go backpacking . . .
I backpacked, canoe'd, and mountaineered for 40+ years. Now my knees are swollen after carrying a 30# pack over rough terrain all day and it hurts to get up off the ground in the morning.
My goal is to enjoy myself. So, I take 8000 lbs. of truck and camper to places that are off the beaten track and enjoy myself. I'll leave humping 2 weeks of gear into wilderness areas to the young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier