What is gained by a gas 3/4-1 ton over 1/2 ton truck?

Walkers

I don’t believe that this has been mentioned yet, but the 2500s have a much greater capacity turn fuel into heat and noise and are readily able to get mpg number into sub 10s without straining hard! This can be especially helpful when trying to cook ‘exhaust manifold meals‘ and also on long trips when you want to stop more frequently to rest and use the facilities.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I don’t believe that this has been mentioned yet, but the 2500s have a much greater capacity turn fuel into heat and noise and are readily able to get mpg number into sub 10s without straining hard! This can be especially helpful when trying to cook ‘exhaust manifold meals‘ and also on long trips when you want to stop more frequently to rest and use the facilities.

Sounds like you’re talking about a Tundra. The absolute most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without doing much of anything useful. I’ve got an 18’ Tundra and a 22’ F250 for reference, and have had 2 other Tundras as well as a few handfuls of 3/4 and 1 tons.

ThundahBeagle

I’m probably a small minority, but I rolled the dice on a 2022 4 cylinder Silverado. One ton Payload and can legally yank 9000#. Price was reasonable in comparison to most trucks today. Best tank of 24.5 and overall average of 21.5. I don’t tow too much now but do max out payload pretty regularly. I’ve had all manner of HD’s, but a half ton is fine for us these days for road trips and family camping.
I absolutely agree that HD’s are better designed to do truck stuff, but they are tough to live with most days if you’d be driving empty.
It takes a really honest appraisal of how you’d actually use the truck verses the fantasy you have about how you’d like to use the truck. The little 4 banger has not come up short yet using it for the average joe type stuff.

My 8cyl gets about that mileage. Best 50 mile stretch got me to 25+ mpg. Best 400 miles is closer to your figure, maybe 1 or 2 mpg under it

If you typically drive empty, why not?

I looked at the 6 cyl and it has more hp than my 93 or 94 GMT400's, so they probably do fine as well, if not heavy duty use

billiebob

On fuel conomy I almost replaced my '05 TJR with an F150 eco boost thing then I talked to a few locals with F150 eco boost things who knew I almost always tow. They said the exceptional mileage they get was empty, no trailer, when they tow they got identical fuel economy to my 2005 TJR... I bought another TJR, an '06 and saved $40K.

I think the same thing applied 40 years ago. 2 trucks, a GMC 2500 with a 454 an 11' camper and a ski boat vs a GMC 1500 with a 305 and an 8' camper..... the half ton could not keep up and burned more gas. Buy the vehicle best suited to the loads you haul. Do the research.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If a 150 series will do it all for you, I'd recommend a Power Wagon to get the solid axles plus all the Power Wagon options like lockers, disconnects, the ability to articulate, the built in winch.... All in the Power Wagon is a bargain.

The only short coming of a Power Wagon is altho it is based on the 2500, its payload is more like the 1500.... but if the half ton does it all for you..... why not get all those factory off road options and sold axles too.

5 plus dogs pretty much rules out the Wrangler pickup.
I would have gone this route but the F150 offered better fuel economy, more cab space and cost much less than a comparably equipped Power Wagon. Love the Power Wagons and would have loved one in Olive Green. But, like the Tremors, it's way overkill for what I need.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Or have kids or pets? I think for the 4 of us plus the dog water alone was about 250 lbs.
Not even camping our airbnb Week long trip with dogs, kids, Mountian bikes, hiking and tennis gear plus we packed our refrigerator along because food options were crap… Yeah it adds up fast. Pretty sure the “your not married” was spot on.

Kingsize24

Can you even get a 3/4 or 1 ton with a manual transmission anymore? I thought Ram was the last to have one and they dropped that option in the mid-teens.

2018, I ordered one of the last ones and took delivery at the end of March 18' before the cutoff for the model change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier