What is gained by a gas 3/4-1 ton over 1/2 ton truck?

I'm looking to upgrade my 4runner (needing more room and utility) and looking at a full size truck. Have had a F250 diesel crew cab and Silverado extended cab 1500.

Been looking at different options, the Ram PW always ranks high on these lists, and I know for the Rams and Ford's there is a solid axle over the independent suspension in front (GM still has the IFS).

What else is gained? Power, strength, payload (in most cases) and space, but is the juice worth the squeeze? HD parts for maintenance and repair, heavier tires/overall weight, etc.

I like having the ability to tow, and a camper isn't out of the picture down the road. Towing cars here and there as needed. But, it's not the norm, and I know that 1/2 tons can do that no problem.

Room for 5 and a couple pups, and daily driver and adventure a few times a year, east coast, but potentially eyeing some west coast trips

jadmt

ignore button user
generally yes on the payload and strength. Room is the same for the most part. Prices are not all that much different. probably get a bit better mpg with a 1/2 ton as they are lighter and in the RAM and Fords case the straight axle might not ride as nice as a 1/2 ton altho my 2020 PW rides very well and luckily gets good mpg. Payload on a PW is not great mine is 1565 lbs payload and tow 10999lbs. towing is plenty but I wish payload were at least 2300lbs..

Payload. Towing capacity. Except the Power Wagon, the soft articulating suspension and extra goodies drops all of them to around 1500lb, which is barely more than a well-optioned half ton crew cab. I do think they’re cool, though. Probably a lot of fun on a trail.

If I needed more truck than my Tundra, I’d get a gas HD truck with 6 seats. Around 15k lb towing with far lower maintenance costs than a diesel truck

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you assume that you will be using a 3/4 ton truck lightly, versus a 1/2 ton moderately to highly, you would see a huge difference in component life. Stuff like bigger axles, brakes, bearings, frame strength, those things just make a difference. I daily drive several different F250s for many years. I miss them. Some things are starting to reach equivalency, but the heavy duty trucks just do truck stuff better in my opinion.

Trixxx

I used to tow my trailer with my 4 runner and it worked alright. Was within all the weight limits. I’d get 11 mpg, about 220 miles a tank, had to lock out 5th or it was always hunting.

Now I have a 2020 f250 6.7. I can get 400+ miles on a tank, and it goes up hills without even shifting out of 10th gear at 75 mph lol. I have enough payload for everything I could dream of and probably twice as much room for storage with my truck cap. It’s also 1000x more comfortable to drive

Explorerinil

Observer
If you assume that you will be using a 3/4 ton truck lightly, versus a 1/2 ton moderately to highly, you would see a huge difference in component life. Stuff like bigger axles, brakes, bearings, frame strength, those things just make a difference. I daily drive several different F250s for many years. I miss them. Some things are starting to reach equivalency, but the heavy duty trucks just do truck stuff better in my opinion.
Your right, HD trucks simply do everything better and safer. Haul or tow a load, it will be more stable with an HD truck. HD trucks will last longer due to their heavier duty parts and you will get a better resale.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Your right, HD trucks simply do everything better and safer. Haul or tow a load, it will be more stable with an HD truck. HD trucks will last longer due to their heavier duty parts and you will get a better resale.

Even little stuff, like better mirror packages, make a difference. Some of those options are easily available on 1/2 tons now, but you have to know to ask for them.

This is my thought process too. Just able to do more overall, safer. And being able to use the truck Harder than other trucks and not have to think about it.

Payload. Towing capacity. Except the Power Wagon, the soft articulating suspension and extra goodies drops all of them to around 1500lb, which is barely more than a well-optioned half ton crew cab. I do think they’re cool, though. Probably a lot of fun on a trail.

If I needed more truck than my Tundra, I’d get a gas HD truck with 6 seats. Around 15k lb towing with far lower maintenance costs than a diesel truck

I have looked at the PW and the Raptor more than I can say, bouncing back and forth. Honestly if I went raptor route, I would go more base and build what I want, but wanted to be sure I got enough truck.

On the other side, I know with stuff coming, like a potential camper, if I would use enough to justify the jump. But the urge to build a overlanding fuax chase truck has me really looking hard at the HD stuff. Like stupid hard

jadmt

ignore button user
This is my thought process too. Just able to do more overall, safer. And being able to use the truck Harder than other trucks and not have to think about it.

I have looked at the PW and the Raptor more than I can say, bouncing back and forth. Honestly if I went raptor route, I would go more base and build what I want, but wanted to be sure I got enough truck.

On the other side, I know with stuff coming, like a potential camper, if I would use enough to justify the jump. But the urge to build a overlanding fuax chase truck has me really looking hard at the HD stuff. Like stupid hard
My buddy has a new Raptor and it is way nice. It was about $30,000 more than I paid for my PW new. I actually looked for a Raptor before getting my PW and could not find one that was a base model and every dealer was adding at least a $5000 markup and that was prior to the covid tax, so they were out of my price point. I bought my PW for $50K otd msrp was around $59K that was August of 2020. So while covid was causing some issues, dealers were probably more worried about getting stuck with a lot full of new vehicles. I do know that my PW will do things off road my buddy's raptor will not do but his raptor will smoke my PW on the road and obviously if traveling fast through the desert were priorities. Also his payload is like 1100 lbs and so 465 less than mine and I would be more comfortable overloading mine by 500lbs than his by 500lbs...Raptors look far better tho and that point is not arguable. they actually sound better too.
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 8.45.24 AM.png

Hummelator

Adventurer
My buddy has a new Raptor and it is way nice. It was about $30,000 more than I paid for my PW new. I actually looked for a Raptor before getting my PW and could not find one that was a base model and every dealer was adding at least a $5000 markup and that was prior to the covid tax, so they were out of my price point. I bought my PW for $50K otd msrp was around $59K that was August of 2020. So while covid was causing some issues, dealers were probably more worried about getting stuck with a lot full of new vehicles. I do know that my PW will do things off road my buddy's raptor will not do but his raptor will smoke my PW on the road and obviously if traveling fast through the desert were priorities. Also his payload is like 1100 lbs and so 465 less than mine and I would be more comfortable overloading mine by 500lbs than his by 500lbs...Raptors look far better tho and that point is not arguable. they actually sound better too.
View attachment 732081
The payload capacity of the PW and raptor absolutely floored me. I just bought a new maverick (opps!) And the payload is 1400# ish.
Too bad about the PW... was thinking I'd pick up a used one in a few years but might have to look at another model

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The big ones for me.....solid front axle, full floating rear axle, larger manual transmission options, more payload, more towing capacity.

I do like unicorns though....smaller 1ton trucks.....Regular cab with a 8' bed. Manual transmissions. Crank windows. Vinyl Floors. Stuff like that. I do like getting cruise and A/C though....getting soft.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
The F250/350 withe 7.3 Gas and Tremor Package seems to give the best of both worlds, enhanced off-roading capability while keeping the payload and towing that the PW gives up.

And for me there are really only 2 categories of trucks, mid size and HD...the 1/2 tons tons are such a compromise all the way around and their prices are are way out of whack. IMO the 1/2 ton category has become a...how can we make it more comfortable...catagory.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Can you even get a 3/4 or 1 ton with a manual transmission anymore? I thought Ram was the last to have one and they dropped that option in the mid-teens.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I used to tow my trailer with my 4 runner and it worked alright. Was within all the weight limits. I’d get 11 mpg, about 220 miles a tank, had to lock out 5th or it was always hunting.

Now I have a 2020 f250 6.7. I can get 400+ miles on a tank, and it goes up hills without even shifting out of 10th gear at 75 mph lol. I have enough payload for everything I could dream of and probably twice as much room for storage with my truck cap. It’s also 1000x more comfortable to drive
It doesn't downshift with 37's?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Can you even get a 3/4 or 1 ton with a manual transmission anymore? I thought Ram was the last to have one and they dropped that option in the mid-teens.
Nope. I special ordered my '07 Ram with the G-56. There weren't any manuals in the Southwest in a regcab. Configuration. That being said I'd get an Aisin in a new one. Shifting's getting old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke