What is between an ARB twin and Oasis electric air compressor?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
anything.jpg

What else on the market that is between an ARB twin and Oasis electric air compressor? I have an ARB twin in my old Jeep and it is a good overall package, especially since it fits under the passenger seat and is decently quick with the 35" tires, but I've been wanting more lately. I run a 40" tire on my #LX45 and a 12V Puma compressor and while it works ok, I want more. The 12V Puma is a solid performer against the ARB honestly, but I am looking for something more.

The ARB twin is 4.68cfm at 30psi

The Oasis is over 10cfm at 50psi(!), but I admit the cost and size is hard to swallow.

What I am looking for is something between those two. It needs to be 12V in a rather tidy package and a solid value.

The only thing that has come up in my research so far is the Sherpa Big Air. Is that the only other option for an 12v electric compressor in this class?

Firefox_Screenshot_2022-05-18T18-26-48.196Z.png

The Sherpa is listed at 8.9cfm at 30psi which sounds in the ballpark for sure!

Note: Not interested in engine driven converted A/C compressors. I have already been down that road in the past and turned off.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Have you checked out the Extreme Outback compressors?

Yes, well regarded quality units, but even their largest unit is 'only' 6cfm free flow ( 2.6cfm at 100psi ). This would be just about the same as the ARB twin.

I'm looking for more like 8-10cfm at 40psi give or take.

heinphoto

Yes, well regarded quality units, but even their largest unit is 'only' 6cfm free flow ( 2.6cfm at 100psi ). This would be just about the same as the ARB twin.

Yes, I just re-checked the specs - I had thought the Magnum had higher CFM specs than the ARB twin, but they are indeed very similar.

Howard70

Adventurer
I have a Sherpa Big Air. Personally I would not buy another one. Problems with the valves, poor wiring, original tubing supporting the quick connect broke. I’ve completely rebuilt it twice. When it works it is fantastic - for about 10 tire fills and then something else fails. Great concept, poor execution.

Howard

RoyJ

Adventurer

I was about to pull the trigger on the Sherpa, until I read a few reviews with quality concerns. Eventually I bought an Oasis XD4000. I already have a Puma, and a bunch of Viairs. Figured if I'm going to upgrade may as well go all the way!

Other than quality issues, look at the max psi of the Sherpa - very low, that tells you the motor is at the limit (essentially over-geared). The Oasis can output 200 psi at 100% duty (100 psi on the XD3000). This means pumping 80 psi E-rated tires it's barely breaking a sweat. Heck, even 110 - 130 psi commercial tires are a piece of cake.

The quality is absolutely beyond anything I've seen, and the weight as well... The York compressor was meant for decades of AC service, not close to the pump on the Sherpa.

My JK is light, and the Viairs handle the 37s no problem. But eventually I'll be building a 12k lbs rig w/ 37+ tires, and want fast air ups.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I was about to pull the trigger on the Sherpa, until I read a few reviews with quality concerns. Eventually I bought an Oasis XD4000. I already have a Puma, and a bunch of Viairs. Figured if I'm going to upgrade may as well go all the way!

Other than quality issues, look at the max psi of the Sherpa - very low, that tells you the motor is at the limit (essentially over-geared). The Oasis can output 200 psi at 100% duty (100 psi on the XD3000). This means pumping 80 psi E-rated tires it's barely breaking a sweat. Heck, even 110 - 130 psi commercial tires are a piece of cake.

The quality is absolutely beyond anything I've seen, and the weight as well... The York compressor was meant for decades of AC service, not close to the pump on the Sherpa.

My JK is light, and the Viairs handle the 37s no problem. But eventually I'll be building a 12k lbs rig w/ 37+ tires, and want fast air ups.

Let us know how you like it long term.

I have my reservations about the York style compressors coming from using them in engine driven OBA applications. They either seemed to stay alive long term BUT had a healthy amount of blow-by oil in the air stream that could not be removed with a filter ( and ended up coating the inside of all the tires ), or they had dry air and didn't last long term ( especially at higher engine speeds ).

I think the Sherpa ( for better or worse ) was designed to be a large bore low pressure compressor. Honestly, for a lot of what I do ( filling tires ), that would be just fine. I don't really need 100+psi for very much. The long term quality is what I am most worried about at that price point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94