What I really like about Montero

mapper

Explorer
Sometimes I look through the other vehicle sections of the forum. I see some pretty amazing projects going on. Every so often, however, I stop to consider what it is that folks are doing and why they are doing it. Frequently, not always, they are attempting to add a component to their truck that is standard fair in the Montero world. I'm speaking mainly for a gen 2.5 at the moment. Say, for example: 33" tires (we can fit those easy), more fuel capacity (we have 24 gallons standard), bumper/tailgate mounted spare (Montero has standard), rear locker (standard on many AND we have locked/open center diff too!!), better fuel economy (note all the diesel swaps that net mileage figures on par with Gen 2 monty, high teens to 20mpg on highway)...and diesel fuel costs more too. These are very livable and capable trucks.

I could go on but the thing that drove me to a Montero, and what I continue to love, is the how capable the truck can be in stock form. Sure, many improvements can be made and there are many awesome builds here too...but a person doesn't really even need to build a Montero much, just drive, maintain and have loads of fun.

Anyway, lots of cool rigs available and I respect many...this is just one thing that is awesome about Monteros :Wow1:

Feel free to add what you really like.

huachuca

Adventurer
A while back, I picked up the 98 import from Puerto Rico being sold by a member of this board. At the time, I just needed a 4WD beater for the wife if the weather went south (she's a RN with the state and gets called out during hurricanes, floods, ice storms etc.). It was a base model with cloth, no locker, no sunroof, no cruise but had low mileage, new tires (Falken 31x10.5), was exceptionally clean and the price was right. The only problem I found was the rear power windows were sketchy. I did the timing belt, water pump, cam seals, gaskets, tune up, transmission flush/filter thing and parked it.

Three years later the windows still need help from time to time but we've somehow put 70,000 miles on her and the only failures have been a $25.00 turn signal switch and a couple of interior bulbs. The tires even have a good bit of tread remaining. Being on the plus side of 65, I've been through a fair number of vehicles in my time; different mfrs (GM, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Land Rover, Austin Healey, VW) and different types (sports cars, vans, trucks, suvs, sedans). Sitting in the yard right now is a late model Tacoma TRD OffRoad, a Pontiac Solstice, a tricked out Wrangler and the Monty and I'll guarantee that when either Cindy or I leave, we'll reach for the Montero keys.

It just works - for getting groceries, going to dinner, camping, church, mild offroading (beach and FS roads), Sunday drives, four hour trips to our daughter's home and ???????. We've had it out in ice, snow, mud, deep sand and creek crossings and never came close to getting stopped. Its comfortable for longer drives, visibility is great, seats four in comfort, AC is cold, heat is hot, plenty of cargo space, power is adequate even with the 3.0, brakes are good and handling and fuel economy are decent for a vehicle this size. I had a Discovery for a couple of years and the Montero is as good are better in every way and much much much more mechanically reliable.

The Tacoma pulls the camper and does 'pick-up' duties, the Jeep and Solstice are still fun to drive and serve their intended functions well, but the Montero has become the 'go to' vehicle in our stable.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A while back, I picked up the 98 import from Puerto Rico being sold by a member of this board. At the time, I just needed a 4WD beater for the wife if the weather went south (she's a RN with the state and gets called out during hurricanes, floods, ice storms etc.). It was a base model with cloth, no locker, no sunroof, no cruise but had low mileage, new tires (Falken 31x10.5), was exceptionally clean and the price was right. The only problem I found was the rear power windows were sketchy. I did the timing belt, water pump, cam seals, gaskets, tune up, transmission flush/filter thing and parked it.

Three years later the windows still need help from time to time but we've somehow put 70,000 miles on her and the only failures have been a $25.00 turn signal switch and a couple of interior bulbs. The tires even have a good bit of tread remaining. Being on the plus side of 65, I've been through a fair number of vehicles in my time; different mfrs (GM, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Land Rover, Austin Healey, VW) and different types (sports cars, vans, trucks, suvs, sedans). Sitting in the yard right now is a late model Tacoma TRD OffRoad, a Pontiac Solstice, a tricked out Wrangler and the Monty and I'll guarantee that when either Cindy or I leave, we'll reach for the Montero keys.

It just works - for getting groceries, going to dinner, camping, church, mild offroading (beach and FS roads), Sunday drives, four hour trips to our daughter's home and ???????. We've had it out in ice, snow, mud, deep sand and creek crossings and never came close to getting stopped. Its comfortable for longer drives, visibility is great, seats four in comfort, AC is cold, heat is hot, plenty of cargo space, power is adequate even with the 3.0, brakes are good and handling and fuel economy are decent for a vehicle this size. I had a Discovery for a couple of years and the Montero is as good are better in every way and much much much more mechanically reliable.

The Tacoma pulls the camper and does 'pick-up' duties, the Jeep and Solstice are still fun to drive and serve their intended functions well, but the Montero has become the 'go to' vehicle in our stable.

Agreed, we have 5 vehicles including a highly upgraded Jeep, turbo diesel Chevy truck, Mazda MX-5, Mazda 3, and our 98 Montero with all the bells and whistles. Whenever we go somewhere the Montero gets driven more than any of our cars, it just feels safer and actually handles well for a larger SUV. The MX-5 is a garage queen and sees about 1500 miles a year, the Jeep about 700 miles a year.

greg409

I agree with all of the above:)

I too, am past 65, in my past 4x4s were land rover(2), Nissan pathfinder, Jeep Cherokee --- There's something about my Montero sports ('99 Ls and a '02 ltd) that just works well.

both get over 20mpg (65+mph cruise on) go anywhere I want to - Quiet, tight (99 has new bushings, balljoints, etc.) everything works

carbon60

Explorer
When looking to buy one now, in 2014, what years are you looking for? I'm thinking about my next truck…

ultrakill

Adventurer
When looking to buy one now, in 2014, what years are you looking for? I'm thinking about my next truck…

I bought my 1990 only 18 months ago. I love it, and I plan on keeping it for at least another 5 years. I've done 2x what I paid for the truck in upgrades/maintenance/repairs but the thing just keeps putting a smile on my face every time I drive it. There is really nothing like it on the road much anymore. People are always commenting how nice it looks, the funny thing is, it's usually an older gentleman or a girl around my age, mid-late 20s.

That said, if I bought another one today I would probably go with a Gen 3 just because me and the wife will be starting a family soon, and this old truck without airbags might not be the safest for a family.

I would either get a 90 or 91 if you want the Gen 1 Classic look, 97-99 if you want Gen 2.5 (get SR trim), or look for a 2003-2006 Gen 3 if you want the latest in luxury and refinement(they have 3.8L).

DR1665

Gearheads United
I walked into a Jeep-Eagle dealership in 1996 to order a 97 Wrangler. Drove home in a 97 Eagle Talon. 14 years and 210,000 miles later, I found myself itching to play in the dirt. Started pursuing rally. Bought my first Galant VR4. Sold my Talon and bought my second Galant VR4.

In 2012, I got tired of dealing with the complexities of a high strung, turbocharged, AWD, 4WS, homologated rally car daily driver and decided it was time to get that "Jeep." Of course, after 16 years' Mitsubishi shenanigans, there was only one "Jeep" for me - PAJERO. I liked the space shuttle looks of the Gen 3, and the Gen 2.5 was pretty cool with those blister fenders, but it was the venerable Gen 1 that spoke to me.

I know it's superficial, but it was really the looks what done it for me. Reminds me of an old Defender or something. It's the slowest, least powerful, least comfortable, and dare I say it, least reliable of any Mitsubishi I've ever owned (I've been down for major engine repairs twice in two years), but it's the first vehicle I've owned since Daisy, my 97 Talon, which I've truly cared about. It's equal parts old school rally car (Colt/Galant used the same, carb'd 4G54 engine) and lawn tractor. Ironically, the feedback Mikuni carb setup is probably more complicated than the injected 4G63 in the turbo cars.

After recently spinning a main, I started looking at possible replacements. Tacos, Foci, even the iMiEV (this is my daily driver). Nothing appealed to me more than the truck. I didn't want to spend my Delica down payment on another Gen 1 truck for donor parts, but I didn't want to see my Rocinante scrapped, either. Short of a Delica, there's nothing else I'd rather be driving these days.

As I sit here typing this up in a 2-tone office cubicle, I know Rocinante is parked right behind me, watching me through the window. It's cloudy. A storm's a-brewin'. There will be mud. And, like an eager dog, my Pajero is ready to go exploring.

ultrakill

Adventurer
I walked into a Jeep-Eagle dealership in 1996 to order a 97 Wrangler. Drove home in a 97 Eagle Talon. 14 years and 210,000 miles later, I found myself itching to play in the dirt. Started pursuing rally. Bought my first Galant VR4. Sold my Talon and bought my second Galant VR4.

In 2012, I got tired of dealing with the complexities of a high strung, turbocharged, AWD, 4WS, homologated rally car daily driver and decided it was time to get that "Jeep." Of course, after 16 years' Mitsubishi shenanigans, there was only one "Jeep" for me - PAJERO. I liked the space shuttle looks of the Gen 3, and the Gen 2.5 was pretty cool with those blister fenders, but it was the venerable Gen 1 that spoke to me.

I know it's superficial, but it was really the looks what done it for me. Reminds me of an old Defender or something. It's the slowest, least powerful, least comfortable, and dare I say it, least reliable of any Mitsubishi I've ever owned (I've been down for major engine repairs twice in two years), but it's the first vehicle I've owned since Daisy, my 97 Talon, which I've truly cared about. It's equal parts old school rally car (Colt/Galant used the same, carb'd 4G54 engine) and lawn tractor. Ironically, the feedback Mikuni carb setup is probably more complicated than the injected 4G63 in the turbo cars.

After recently spinning a main, I started looking at possible replacements. Tacos, Foci, even the iMiEV (this is my daily driver). Nothing appealed to me more than the truck. I didn't want to spend my Delica down payment on another Gen 1 truck for donor parts, but I didn't want to see my Rocinante scrapped, either. Short of a Delica, there's nothing else I'd rather be driving these days.

As I sit here typing this up in a 2-tone office cubicle, I know Rocinante is parked right behind me, watching me through the window. It's cloudy. A storm's a-brewin'. There will be mud. And, like an eager dog, my Pajero is ready to go exploring.

Love this!

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I've owned four Gen I short wheel base Montero/Raiders. I kept my favorite one and still have it to this day but I've sold the rest. I've overhauled this engine twice now. It has been really fun adventure for me over the years. Recently we purchased a 1997 Montero SR and I'm in the process of learning all the cool new things about it. There are lockers to learn about. A strange "Hold" button I'm not exactly sure what it does other than keep the transmission from upshifting at normal set points. My wife and I have already overhauled the engine, redone the steering, front brakes, front wheel bearings, new shock absorbers. Now we are dealing with a few additional items, rear brakes and rear wheel bearings, various instrument cluster lights being burned out, a check engine light that just lit up on Tuesday, radiator needs to be serviced and A/C needs to be recharged by next summer.

So far, the Montero is a rock solid vehicle and now completely reliable. So much so that it has displaced the family daily driver, 2007 Infinity FX35. The difference between the Gen I and Gen II that I have found is summed up in one word really, "more".

More comfort
More horsepower
More amenities
More capability
More capacity

The list goes on and on obviously. In the end, I really, really like the Montero Gen II for all of its qualities. And even though the Gen II has way "more" than the Gen I, I still have a lot of love for my Raider. Perhaps it is a sentimental thing for me because I have invested so much of my time, effort, energy and not to mention money into my Raider, but I love it and I'll keep it. I have some cosmetic plans for my Raider that I'll be working on over the winter to get it ready for some spring off-roading. The 1997 Gen II, shall be keep as a daily driver. These are really well made vehicles and they have a lot of appeal to them for many reasons. My Mitsu obsession started out because I like the aesthetics, but as I learned more about these vehicles, I realized I was sitting on a gold mine that I've been tinkering with over the past fourteen years.

1982365_10202723047031772_98602141_n.jpg

1622017_10203932219580330_4881781840094518534_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dolomiti

Adventurer
I've owned four Gen I short wheel base Montero/Raiders. I kept my favorite one and still have it to this day but I've sold the rest. I've overhauled this engine twice now. It has been really fun adventure for me over the years. Recently we purchased a 1997 Montero SR and I'm in the process of learning all the cool new things about it. There are lockers to learn about. A strange "Hold" button I'm not exactly sure what it does other than keep the transmission from upshifting at normal set points. My wife and I have already overhauled the engine, redone the steering, front brakes, front wheel bearings, new shock absorbers. Now we are dealing with a few additional items, rear brakes and rear wheel bearings, various instrument cluster lights being burned out, a check engine light that just lit up on Tuesday, radiator needs to be serviced and A/C needs to be recharged by next summer.

So far, the Montero is a rock solid vehicle and now completely reliable. So much so that it has displaced the family daily driver, 2007 Infinity FX35. The difference between the Gen I and Gen II that I have found is summed up in one word really, "more".

More comfort
More horsepower
More amenities
More capability
More capacity

The list goes on and on obviously. In the end, I really, really like the Montero Gen II for all of its qualities. And even though the Gen II has way "more" than the Gen I, I still have a lot of love for my Raider. Perhaps it is a sentimental thing for me because I have invested so much of my time, effort, energy and not to mention money into my Raider, but I love it and I'll keep it. I have some cosmetic plans for my Raider that I'll be working on over the winter to get it ready for some spring off-roading. The 1997 Gen II, shall be keep as a daily driver. These are really well made vehicles and they have a lot of appeal to them for many reasons. My Mitsu obsession started out because I like the aesthetics, but as I learned more about these vehicles, I realized I was sitting on a gold mine that I've been tinkering with over the past fourteen years.

1982365_10202723047031772_98602141_n.jpg

Great expression of what's great about these trucks. That SWB looks sweet.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Great expression of what's great about these trucks. That SWB looks sweet.

Thanks. I have plans to do a lot of clean up on this little rig. I'm going to freshen up the finish of both the exterior and interior.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles