What I learned about auto glass types

overlander

Expedition Leader
I had the driver side window glass shatter on me this week, and I'm getting ready to replace it. I have now discovered how difficult it is to find an auto glass shop that has templates for Land Rover Defender side windows.

In an effort of having to order a replacement glass and risk not only the time of waiting for it to ship, but also the damage to the glass on shipment, I have found a good local glass shop that can do it, but what they have to do is pull the passenger door glass to use as a template for the driver door. Fortunately, all our windows are flat, so they are cheap to cut once they have a template. I have asked him to make me a template, which he is going to do out of wood, so I have it for all time. Next time, instead of pulling the other door glass, I can just drop off the template and then show up for the install. Thanks to our flat glass, it only cost me $50 a window to have them cut, vs $115+shipment to have OEM tempered windows. All the classic Rover houses are out of stock on NAS110 front door glass BTW. Nice.

One obstacle we ran into is that he doesn't have tempered glass that would fit, only laminate (like a windshield). He said we could use 1/4" laminate instead of the OEM tempered, and I said ok, not knowing the difference of the two really.

So after some research, I found out that laminated glass is much better in many perspectives than tempered. It's better for deterring snatch and grab theft, better for keeping people from getting ejected in an accident, better in storms, etc. Only downside is when the car goes underwater, but I have crank windows.

I also found out that while the windscreens are required to be laminated for many safety reasons, side and rear passenger car windows generally are only tempered, primarily due to cost.

After thinking about how my glass just vaporized when I closed the door, and then seeing videos of how laminated side and rear glass are becoming increasingly popular with some high end automakers, as well as the emergence of security films in the tinting industry for again safety and security, I've decide to just have two pieces cut while he's in there, and replace both front door glasses with laminate. I'm going to have the rest of the windows all around done as well, probably by adding security film (yielding the same protection results as laminate).

Going the weekend here in Charlotte as we approach 90 degrees with scattered t-storms approaching, I was pretty torqued about how my glass vaporized. If it was laminated glass, it would have still been intact, just cracked. I would still be enjoying my A/C and have theft protection over the weekend, while waiting to get my window replaced. I've concluded tempered glass sucks. As hard as Defender glass is to find, if I'm out of town, or take my rig to another country, (or extreme climates like arctic canada), I'd be SOL with a broken tempered window. What if the Expedition West Taco had an OEM tempered side window shatter as they approached the arctic circle? They'd be in serious, serious trouble.

Has anyone else looked into this or done it?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons, but wanted to expound on the con you mentioned...

I remember a thread on another forum many years ago r.e. the increased use of laminated glass for the side windows in cars. Many emergency response people who posted up were very concerned about the fact that it would be much more difficult to break the window and pull someone out.

I know you mentioned that you have crank windows, which means you can open the window if you go in the water*, but that does assume you are conscious. And I think going in the water is only one example. Any time the driver is trapped in a vehicle, I think the emergency responders would like to have the option of breaking the side windows.

But, like I said, the pros outweigh the cons in my book, and I'd do it. I know we have a lot of law enforcement officers and emergency responders on board, and it would be interesting to hear their experiences.

*SIDE NOTE - according to Mythbusters pseudo-science, electric windows work just fine in the water. :)

overlander

Expedition Leader
Sounds interesting. Do you have a source for the security films?

Just google "security film" and you'll see a bunch. 3M makes an impressive product. There's also www.diywindowsecurity.com. Check out the youtubes as well.

It would be nice to have that kind of security on 3rd world adventures. I also wouldn't want to go out where game animals are at without film treated glass. I can just imagine a lion shattering tempered glass, and then...

strider3700

Adventurer
*SIDE NOTE - according to Mythbusters pseudo-science, electric windows work just fine in the water. :)

sort of. They also showed that if you sink more then a few feet the pressure difference from inside the car to outside was enough that you couldn't get the window down either by manually cranking it or using electronics.

In the end their recommendation was to get out quickly and if that fails break the glass. your only other option was wait for the vehicle to fill with water then open the window/door and get out.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
FYI All of the 2003 and newer DOdge trucks have laminated side glass, it is still designated AS-2.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Reminds me of the time the side window went out on my Tempo. It was a beater, and something had gone wrong with the regulator mechanism as it went up and down funny (crooked). But since it was a beater, and technically still worked, we just left it. Until one fateful winter day when I went to the drive-through ATM and tried to roll down the window.

The window was frozen to the seals. But I didn't even force it. It was wild. I just touched the crank, and POW the window just disappeared. Just in the blink of an eye, I'm covered in glass particles.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I was lucky that my windows was fully cranked down, so I only heard the vaporization.

Funny. I was telling my father in law about what happened and he says "you know all the safari vehicles in Africa have laminated don't you?" I didn't know that. I'm not sure that is completely true, but he went on to say that if a lion puts his paws up on the glass, and the glass is tempered, then you have a bad day.

ok, makes sense. After he said that, I decided to go all laminated.

chet

island Explorer
I feel for you having had side windows (and back windows ) shatter for no reason. I had slight window tint on my one car and a truck kicked up a rock and took out the side window. the tinting held it in place and worked good enough to keep the water out until I got to the glass shop the next day (just couldn't see out the window!) I would be cautious about using actual safety film as it could be hard to break if you needed in or out but tint would be kind of a middle of the road maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior