What have you for a CB setup?

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
heres my system. nothing too fancy, jus a Cobra 29 with weather radio. first had it mounted to the plastic, under the HVAC controls. but then I did up the custom center console, and here it sits now.

20130524_194323.jpg

and the 4' FireSticks. only the driver side one is actually pluged into the radio. when I first got the radio, I ran the duel Sticks, but mounted to the bed corners. was a PITA tuning, so once I got the roof rack on, I ran both jus for looks, since I already had them. the spring mounts are a life saver. I can go thru drive thrus with no problems, as long as I take it slowly. same with parking garages....

doubletirerack.jpg

and they can even be "stowed". did this when I went to Arlington National Cemetery.

20130528_130605.jpg

the set up is great. I can hear it jus fine in the box, its not a sealed box. range is pretty good on the highways, which is where it gets used the most. I don't think the weather radio works too well thru the FireSticks, but that might jus be me. but with modern cell phones, I have a really good radar app on my Galaxy, so the WX isn't needed as much anymore.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think most modern CBs have WX band, as do many 2m HAM (which makes sense since the WX frequencies are located in the VHF band near the 2m region.) One thing, though: Since VHF signas are LoS, WX information is very spotty in remote areas. Even worse than cellular, in fact. So don't count on being able to get WX information if you're deep in the boonies, particularly out West. Urban areas and well traveled interstates seem to have good coverage (although even well traveled interstates have their dead spots) but once you get far from civilization, don't count on that WX band working.

libarata

Expedition Leader
My 25LTD is from 1997, so no modern anything on the sucker. I have a super basic phone, and my scanner died on me last month. Just another thinger on the wishlist. I am seriously debating on also obtaining a HAM license, and seeing if I can request my dads old call sign.

4x4junkie

Explorer
The WX function on a CB is dismal at best. Pretty much exactly how Martinjmpr describes it (big part of the problem is the CB antenna it's hooked to is not tuned for reception on VHF).

On a VHF (2M) rig however, I can get a readable signal on the WX band at least 80% of the time in all the remote places I've been (majority of which being in the deserts of So. Cal, NV & AZ, up in the Sierra Mtns and in OR. Mostly it's down in deep canyons where it's not likely to receive anything. A good high-end scanner should also receive the WX band reasonably well if you are standing with it out in the clear.

lysol

Explorer
A 4' antenna mounted on the rear bumper with coax routed up to and sitting in the drivers seat.... About 50% finished with my install. lol.

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
Sweet set-up! I really want a WX radio.

Thanx. WX is great to have, but it doesnt seem to work as well thru the FireStick. but with smartphone based radar, i dont need WX as much. i can look at the sky while on the road, and easily pull up local radar and see whats up.

lysol

Explorer
A 4' antenna mounted on the rear bumper with coax routed up to and sitting in the drivers seat.... About 50% finished with my install. lol.

At about 90% complete. Have a working/tuned CB setup. My range on the Interstate appears to be about 1 mile... lol. Completely sucks.

lysol

Explorer
You need to get the antenna higher, the body is blocking signal.

Yea, it's mounted to the top of the license plate holder. I'd say about 20% of it is below the metal tub of the Wrangler (hard-top doesn't affect it). I'm leaving it there until I get my ARB front bumper so I can mount it to the front bull bar with a spring mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior