What have you broken/replaced on your overweight Tacoma?

35s, bff bumper, winch, rear bumper, sliders, skids, puts me at 5700 full tank just me, gvwr is 6200. Need to add in camping gear and passengers, will be close to max. Curb weight is 4600, not sure if that’s wet or dry. Either way 500 lbs to play with but it will go quick. I would not be happy with a 4WC for weight and driving manners. Still debating a bed rack and RTT big that’s another 200lbs right there.

Just did all of this after having 33s up until now @150k. I plan to upgrade to the gx460 brakes, right now I have stainless lines and upgraded rotors and pads. Stops quick enough but definitely room for improvement.

tacototheworld

Ours has a total of 5,500 miles, 500 miles of which with the flatbed and four wheel camper. It weighs 6,900 pounds with a full tank of gas, otherwise empty. It is a highly modified 2019 Tacoma TRD sport. We have a Norweld aluminum flatbed, Four wheel camper fleet model, ARB front and rear locking differentials with 5.29 gearing, CBI T3 aluminum front bumper with Warn Zeon 10 S winch, Scheel-Mann seats, OME BP-51 shocks with custom Deaver rear springs, and a LRA 33 gallon fuel tank. Next May we start a three year, hundred country, around the world drive. Hoping we can get most of the way without much mechanical difficulties. I imagine wheelbearings will be one of them.

CE749D38-4395-4D25-8ECA-7952B70A0D4A.jpeg

roving1

My 2RZ 1st Gen Taco has 150K on the clutch and has spent most of its life as a city commuter and part time quasi-racing rally cross truck and has about 6K miles towing a 3500 lb trailer from the east coast through the Rockies a couple of times. Repackable wheel bearing in the 5 lug though but still good. It may not be overloaded but Detroit roads are terrible so it's on its 3rd set of ball joints and it needs a 4th. I will be paying for Toyota OEM this time as everything aftermarket, even "premium", has only lasted 20-40K.

My 3RZ had 150 K on it when I changed everything from clutch to bearings and all steering and suspension pivot points, so I guess I won't know exactly how long they will go. But it was all OEM when I swapped them out.

dstefan

Ours has a total of 5,500 miles, 500 miles of which with the flatbed and four wheel camper. It weighs 6,900 pounds with a full tank of gas, otherwise empty. It is a highly modified 2019 Tacoma TRD sport. We have a Norweld aluminum flatbed, Four wheel camper fleet model, ARB front and rear locking differentials with 5.29 gearing, CBI T3 aluminum front bumper with Warn Zeon 10 S winch, Scheel-Mann seats, OME BP-51 shocks with custom Deaver rear springs, and a LRA 33 gallon fuel tank. Next May we start a three year, hundred country, around the world drive. Hoping we can get most of the way without much mechanical difficulties. I imagine wheelbearings will be one of them.

View attachment 541514
Nice rig and nice build!

How do you like the Scheel-Mann seats? That’s the first Tacoma I’ve been aware of to fit them, and I’ve been looking to find how they work for a while. If I could make those fit in my 2nd gen, I might think harder about some further build and keeping it. The seats are not my favorite part.

Were they in easy swap in? Did you do it yourself or what shop did you have install them?

shade

I put a set of BamaToy1997's hubs in my truck at 77k to replace a set with what I believe was done around 40k according the first owner's service record I got with my truck. I'm at 95k now so time will tell.
I haven't followed the aftermarket hub market since the Great TacomaWorld Hub War a few years ago, but I thought Bill was putting out a good product at a fair price at that time.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I haven't followed the aftermarket hub market since the Great TacomaWorld Hub War a few years ago, but I thought Bill was putting out a good product at a fair price at that time.
Not aware of the details but zero surprise to hear of drama over there. ;-)

SargeBSA

Observer
2015 4cyl Tacoma, thinking back over the past four years and 110,000 miles; I've run two Four Wheel Campers, a Leer canopy and currently a commercial Snugtop canopy. I've been over GCVW too many times to count and yet I haven't had anything break (knock on wood) no squeaks, rattles or grinding noises. To say I'm impressed is an understatement considering its been to 34 states, western Canada, Dalton/Dempster Hwys, Baja CA , everyback road in the desert southwest and its my daily driver.
_DSC7629 (2).JPG

tacototheworld

Nice rig and nice build!

How do you like the Scheel-Mann seats? That’s the first Tacoma I’ve been aware of to fit them, and I’ve been looking to find how they work for a while. If I could make those fit in my 2nd gen, I might think harder about some further build and keeping it. The seats are not my favorite part.

Were they in easy swap in? Did you do it yourself or what shop did you have install them?

sorry for the slow reply. We’ve purchased them and they’re waiting the seat brackets at Valley hybrids in Stockton, CA. Ward Harris of LRA Automotive is the supplier of the seats. We ordered the Vario F seats which we found to be super comfortable. Happy to give you an update once installed, which should be next month. The mounting brackets have to be custom made but supposedly not that big of a deal, they will be installing them

dstefan

We’ve purchased them and they’re waiting the seat brackets at Valley hybrids in Stockton, CA. Ward Harris of LRA Automotive is the supplier of the seats. We ordered the Vario F seats which we found to be super comfortable. Happy to give you an update once installed, which should be next month. The mounting brackets have to be custom made but supposedly not that big of a deal, they will be installing them
Hey TacoToTheWorld — Did you end up getting the seats? Still trying to learn how they work/fit our trucks. Let us know when you get them and how went when you get a chance.
Thanks!

View attachment 541514

I have an Alu-Cab Khaya on my 2018 DCSB Tacoma Offroad and it is extensively modified with most of the items you called out. We have 21k miles on it now and 4k of those miles with the Khaya. We have a Radflo suspension with 2.5 resi all the way around, 700lb coilsprings, OME Dakar heavy leafspring pack, CBI T3 bumpers front/rear (steel), White knuckle steel sliders, RCI full skid package, lower control arm armor, Warn Xeon 10 S, 5.29 nitro gears, ARB dual compressor with a remote tank and ARB airlocker up front, dual batteries under the hood, some light bars and ditch lights and an Alu-Cab woodbox that carries a good 100lbs of gear in it. I weigh 7,200lbs with a full tank of fuel, spare rotopax of fuel (14g), full water in the Khaya (20g), 10lbs of propane and with me, my wife and our three dogs in the Taco. We get about 12mpg doing 60-65 with the new 5.29 gears.

I would like to get the LRA extended fuel tank, but I thought they were having issues here in the states still and held off. Please let me know how that is working out. We also plan to get a rear seat delete kit from Goose Gear to get some additional storage. We plan to do a lot of stuff in the next few years through North America. May some day dream about Pan American, but nervous about international travel. It's just us and we don't really have friends into this scene. We have a goal to hit all the national parks in the states and spend some time in Alaska and Canada.

How do you like the flatbed fleet? Is it the same footprint as the hawk with the dinette in the back but just smaller seating?

I didn't really know what I was doing when I was trying to build this out and before I knew it I was over weight and didn't really know what to do about it other than just not do crazy stuff. I had caught Expedition Overland's YouTube series about doing the Yukon and Pan American stuff and got inspired to go travel in a Tacoma with all the aftermarket support it has. Total fan boy I admit, but the truck has been nice. We've had the Khaya since Feb 2019 and did an Expo West trip and part of the Washington WABDR.

I feel like a bigger rig like a Prospector XL with a flatbed/FWC would have probably been a better route for us now in hindsight.

Grand Canyon North Rim May 2019 (before T3 HC rear bumper)
IMG_3844.JPG

Zion National Park May 2019 (before T3 HC rear bumper)
IMG_3856.JPG

Last edited:

tacototheworld

Hey TacoToTheWorld — Did you end up getting the seats? Still trying to learn how they work/fit our trucks. Let us know when you get them and how went when you get a chance.
Thanks!

will do. The dealer is being very slow, starting to get worried. Actually left him a message today.

tacototheworld

I have an Alu-Cab Khaya on my 2018 DCSB Tacoma Offroad and it is extensively modified with most of the items you called out. We have 21k miles on it now and 4k of those miles with the Khaya. We have a Radflo suspension with 2.5 resi all the way around, 700lb coilsprings, OME Dakar heavy leafspring pack, CBI T3 bumpers front/rear (steel), White knuckle steel sliders, RCI full skid package, lower control arm armor, Warn Xeon 10 S, 5.29 nitro gears, ARB dual compressor with a remote tank and ARB airlocker up front, dual batteries under the hood, some light bars and ditch lights and an Alu-Cab woodbox that carries a good 100lbs of gear in it. I weigh 7,200lbs with a full tank of fuel, spare rotopax of fuel (14g), full water in the Khaya (20g), 10lbs of propane and with me, my wife and our three dogs in the Taco. We get about 12mpg doing 60-65 with the new 5.29 gears.

I would like to get the LRA extended fuel tank, but I thought they were having issues here in the states still and held off. Please let me know how that is working out. We also plan to get a rear seat delete kit from Goose Gear to get some additional storage. We plan to do a lot of stuff in the next few years through North America. May some day dream about Pan American, but nervous about international travel. It's just us and we don't really have friends into this scene. We have a goal to hit all the national parks in the states and spend some time in Alaska and Canada.

How do you like the flatbed fleet? Is it the same footprint as the hawk with the dinette in the back but just smaller seating?

I didn't really know what I was doing when I was trying to build this out and before I knew it I was over weight and didn't really know what to do about it other than just not do crazy stuff. I had caught Expedition Overland's YouTube series about doing the Yukon and Pan American stuff and got inspired to go travel in a Tacoma with all the aftermarket support it has. Total fan boy I admit, but the truck has been nice. We've had the Khaya since Feb 2019 and did an Expo West trip and part of the Washington WABDR.

I feel like a bigger rig like a Prospector XL with a flatbed/FWC would have probably been a better route for us now in hindsight.

Grand Canyon North Rim May 2019 (before T3 HC rear bumper)
View attachment 559524

Zion National Park May 2019 (before T3 HC rear bumper)
View attachment 559525

you have a nice looking truck. Yes, it is easy to get overweight quickly. We like the fleet flatbed it is the same configuration as the full-size hawk but just 4 inches narrower and 1/2” shorter in height. If we were sticking to North America we would be riding in a full-size 3/4 ton truck but Wanted a narrow truck to navigate Africa and Asia roads. We’re getting about 14 mpg doing 60 to 65 down Interstate 5; when it’s empty...

The LRA tank has been working well and it is available for everyone except California residents. However we did have it installed in their shop near Stockton, CA. It can be a bit particular and refilling in terms of the nozzle easily shuts off, but otherwise is fine. The biggest consideration is that the fuel computer is no longer valid; I go 100 miles before the fuel gauge dips below full and can go 50 miles beyond when the range to zero shows 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94