The ride was harsh, but the Rebel with 17s blew it away

The Hemi also seems more powerful:
8 speed trans
5.7L OHV 16-valve V8
395 hp @ 5,600 rpm
410 lb-ft @ 3,950 rpm

The F150 had a 10 speed trans, and I think the 6 speed was much nicer

hodgexj1996

What year rebel have you been in. The new ones have 18s, the 4th gens have 17s. I should have asked.

Edited- 2019 is a weird year, it started the 5th gen and ended the 4th, but both are available.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

hodgexj1996

I believe it's a 2019

It has 17"
So you have the 4th gen model. I saw your other post that you won't buy new. Don't blame you there.

You can surely find one for a good deal than. Low mile, leased trade ins are all over. Especially with the new body style out. I had all intentions of rolling myself into a used Rebel until this EPA debacle that has a stop sale on all eco diesels. We have an open recall, which is a fore hazard with no projected fix or timeframe for one. So yea.

A guy had one on the trail rides I went on this spring. It was gorgeous compared to my truck. The 8spd and hemi is a killer combo and I won't lie these trucks are very comfortable and capable. The u connect is much nicer and easier to use than the sync garbage and overall it's a really well rounded package. If you can, find one with the 3.92 gears and the anti spin rear dif and 6-4 bed, I have the 5-7 bed and with a bed box its useless. Gears obviously Add some grunt down low and easily compensates for an upsize in tires if you choose to do so. 37s fit with a level. With the 2500s being so popular the 1500 is the redheaded child of the group. There's a good aftermarket following, just not as expansive as yota, raptor, jeep or 2500s but you can find anything. I find the crew cab enormous as well and the interior is much more comfortable for long trips. I'm trying to give you alot of info so sorry for Lot a of reading.

I had a 2013 3.5 ecoboost fx4 super cab. Bilsteins all around, 33s on 18s, blue flame with all the normal stuff. Had all the issues you have had. Loved and hated it, I don't miss it one bit and I got a base model ram. The rebel is a league of its own.

Big50

Adventurer
Might want to consider a Gen1 Raptor. Comes setup with pretty much everything you need. If you're going to be carrying heavy loads just get some progressive Icon springs. You can adjust ride height etc. MPG ain't great but you can get them for high 20's to mid 30's. The 6.2 is pretty bullet proof. I've been beating on them for 7 years and they hold up great. Anything under 100k miles and has not been beat on should give you another 100k.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Dodge has always done well down playing the leading edge technology and more or less going with a little less techie for generally fewer issues in the field etc. The big three all have pluses tho. Hard to really fault one over the other outside if unique features or personal preference etc.

hodgexj1996

FWIW I have the same travel as a gen 1 raptor. Not trying to turn it into a pissing match but gen 1 specs were cutting edge when it came out, but by no means is it hard to obtain mid travel levels. I'm strapped at 12" rear and sit about 10" front travel. Aside from a rear locker and all the drive modes I'm not sure what I'm missing compared to a gen 1

rajacat

Just replying to your statement, post 16, "never hearing of an outright failure in a 10 speed F150".
And yes, a brand new 2019 F150 4x4 Supercab. I bought the 3.3L 6 speed specifically to minimize potential problems, hopefully.

View attachment 555512
Nice looking truck!

I've had both. The six speed and the 10 speed.
The 6 speed was a 2017 2.7 EB SCAB 4wd. I had a dispute with the dealership, we it worked out and I was offered a 2018 at a very good price so I took it. Personally I'm not worried about the long term reliability of the 10 speed or the 3.5 EB in my 2018. You can find negatives on almost any feature of any truck and the people who have had problems will have a vastly disproportionate presence on the internet. If I'm one of the minute number that has a catastrophic failure I'm covered by insurance for the next 10 years. I'm one of those that like having state of the art gear and the 10 speed is SOTA in trannys for pickup trucks. 10 years down the line electric pickup trucks will be SOTA.

1576120302752.png

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nice looking truck!

I've had both. The six speed and the 10 speed.
The 6 speed was a 2017 2.7 EB SCAB 4wd. I had a dispute with the dealership, we it worked out and I was offered a 2018 at a very good price so I took it. Personally I'm not worried about the long term reliability of the 10 speed or the 3.5 EB in my 2018. You can find negatives on almost any feature of any truck and the people who have had problems will have a vastly disproportionate presence on the internet. If I'm one of the minute number that have a catastrophic failure I'm covered by insurance for the next 10 years. I'm one of those that like having state of the art gear and the 10 speed is SOTA in trannys for pickup trucks. 10 years down the line electric pickup trucks will be SOTA.

View attachment 555760

Nice lid ?

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Don't understand how people drive to get such horrendous mileage. Picked up my 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Supercab in May of 2016. As with all my vehicles, fuel purchases are entered into an Excel spreadsheet which calculates the mileage among other things. Over 40,000 miles on it now and the overall fuel mileage since I bought it is 20.96 mpg. According to the spreadsheet the best tank I've ever gotten was just under 24 mpg and the WORST was 17.3. The truck has been totally dependable - never been in the shop for any reason. All I've even done is change the oil and rotate the tires.
Where do you live, Florida or somewhere equally flat? Personally, I've never given a rat's back about MPG in anything I've ever driven. I drive it until it needs gas then I put more in.

Laps

Ok, who has a Ram Rebel?

The more I drive it, the more I like it!
I have a 2017 Ram Rebel with air suspension and I love it. Two separate trips to the southwest, 2018 and 2019, proved it is more than adequate for off road exploring. Plus I’m getting 17.5 mpg city and 20 mpg highway.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles