What Half-Ton Truck & Why

Wrathchild

I don’t agree that the 6.2 is a totally different design than the 6.0. My L96 uses the same “ls3” style square port heads, only difference is displacement and the compression ratio is probably different.
IMO, and I could be wrong, is that the 6.0 is de-tuned for longevity and fuel economy compared to the 6.2.
My 6.0 does seem to use some oil at 130k.

Its my understanding the ecotec family of motors was a whole re-design from the vortec motors. Aluminum block, direct injection etc etc. but I don’t know. They’re all V8s that get garbage mileage, and I’m ok w/ that! Sorry for the derail OP...

Choff

Adventurer
I have a 1/2 ton Savana AWD , I have 215,000 miles on a 5.3 , daily driver , bought it with 43,000 miles 13 years ago.
Gets about 17 mpg, if and when i check it, but don't care what gas mileage it gets-its a truck with AWD.
And its still the original engine , does not leak oil or burn

tacollie

Glamper
Don't get a Tundra if your concerned about MPGs. I'm 90% sure if you want the max payload and max tow packages you have to get the long bed on the F150. Personally the biggest reason to get the F150 is the Ecoboost. If you aren't getting a motor with a turbo they are all pretty similar IMO.

phsycle

Adventurer
Don't get a Tundra if your concerned about MPGs. I'm 90% sure if you want the max payload and max tow packages you have to get the long bed on the F150. Personally the biggest reason to get the F150 is the Ecoboost. If you aren't getting a motor with a turbo they are all pretty similar IMO.

Yes, you'd need to get long bed if you want the max payload package (but not max tow). That's the other strike against the Tundra. Poor payload.

Regarding mileage, I don't have experience with Ram V8's, but Ford and Chevy V8's are more efficient than the 5.7 Toyota (and the 4.6/4.7) in my experience. I've never gotten close to 20mpg in the Toyota. 21-22MPG is easy in the Ford and Chevy.

Grassland

I'd consider a couple year old 6.0.chevy 2500 gasser rather than a new half ton with 5.3 and AFM, and also consider a 6.2 gasser aluminium Super Duty before a max payload/tow 3.5/5.0 F 150 (similar weight to steel half tons) Your fuel economy will suck, but your reliability will be strong.
No weak payloads. Full size.

For fleet I "built" an XLT 5.0 F150 SCREW Long box 4x4 and for a few grand more could "build" an XLT F250 gasser SCAB 4x4. Realistically for 5-6k more you can have an identical 250 gasser comparable to the half ton, but more payload and GVWR.

I ended up going with a Transit 250 instead. There were a pair of used reg cab Long box 2500 Chevies with Space Kaps and 6.0s I was looking at as well but they went for too much $.

One nobody here has mentioned is the new Nissan titan and titan xd, which can be had with a gas engine if diesel isn't your thing and comes standard with a 6.5 foot bed in crew cab form. Xd or not, gets a 5.6 v8 and 9 speed auto. 400 hp and 413torque I believe on the 2020 models. Slightly less 2019 and prior plus a 7 speed auto.

phsycle

Adventurer
One nobody here has mentioned is the new Nissan titan and titan xd, which can be had with a gas engine if diesel isn't your thing and comes standard with a 6.5 foot bed in crew cab form. Xd or not, gets a 5.6 v8 and 9 speed auto. 400 hp and 413torque I believe on the 2020 models. Slightly less 2019 and prior plus a 7 speed auto.

Diesel is dropped for 2020. I could never look at a Titan and say, now that is a truck that I might be willing to buy. Never ever. Not sure why that is, but probably because the thing looks so ugly to me. And really has nothing going for it. Low sales, poor aftermarket support..... They've got good engines. I like that 5.6. But the rest of the truck is.....bleh.

MR. ED

Observer
I had a 13 F150 with the 5.0. It had 255/80/17 tires and my hand calculated mpg was 18.3. A little worse in the winter but not bad. I had the 5.5 bed that I couldn’t deal with. If I had gotten the bigger bed I’d probably still have it. Have fun shopping.

motoboss

Bad Influence
@motoboss
I own a 2018 F150 3.5EB 4WD SCAB. It has been faultless. The tranny doesn't slip or hunt. Just smooth as silk. Tell me, have any of those lawsuits been successful? I suspect that many of those problems are software issues. Of course there's going to be a few total failures among the 100's thousands of 10 speeds Fords out there.
I never said that there weren't any failures or problems. The F150 is the best selling truck by far so there's bound to be some failures. Maybe you should google some of their competitors about their tranny problems or other issues?

What kind of truck do you drive?

Just replying to your statement, post 16, "never hearing of an outright failure in a 10 speed F150".
And yes, a brand new 2019 F150 4x4 Supercab. I bought the 3.3L 6 speed specifically to minimize potential problems, hopefully.

KIMG1341.JPG

Last edited:

hodgexj1996

Ok, who has a Ram Rebel?

The more I drive it, the more I like it!
So I've been following along quietly but I can chime in on the rebels. I give you kudos for hanging on to the ecoboost like you did. I tossed mine 6 months into ownership. Now granted I have a 4th gen 2016 ram, non rebel, but I am on ramforum daily and personally have seen and wheeled with plenty of them. Ram forum has a section dedicated to rebels, there's always a few issues on the first year models like always, but these guys love them, and rightfully so.

The 5th gens are all reporting 15-18 mpg average. Obviously dependant on driving style, but that seems pretty good for a big v8 on 33s. This 8spd trans has a great reputation and really helps the gassers with mpg. The 2020 models are available with the ecodiesel, which I have and LOVE btw. Factory rear locker, ans all kinds of gizmos. Avoid the 12" screen, seems to be nothing but problems for alot of guys on the boards. I'm not a fan of the E Torque system or the air suspension (supposedly has cold weather issues) and the MDS has a reputation to drone with certain aftermarket exhausts. Payload for these trucks is decent, but they like to squat with the rear coils, though air suspension is self leveling. It looks dramatic, but unless you're running max payload all the time, ride comfort is beyond any truck I've owned.

I know you're pretty critical, and I don't blame you. The 4th gen I have and 5th gen you're in are 2 totally different animals, but the foundation is the same. Link rear suspension, coilover front. Obviously interior would be of your choice, I have a tradesman, since the electronic gremlins in the ford left me wanting less. Seriously I love this truck, I opted for non air suspension, put about 1500 into a setup for my needs and this thing is blow your mind comfortable. And I'm on 275 65 20s. Only truck I loved more than this was my 06 Cummins with thuren stuff on 37s. But that's not a fair comparison.

Ram seems to have really good deals going on as well for pricing. End of year you might be able to get one for a really good price.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles