What goes here...?

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
I've been poking around under the hood, getting familiar with things and I came across this large piece of empty real estate behind the air filter box:

IMG_3199.jpg

Am I missing something important? What's supposed to be here? Dual battery box? Turbocharger? A box of shop rags to clean up all the oil leaks this thing has? I see three studs and an empty hose clamp...

PacS14

Adventurer
A picture including more of the engine bay might help, also year/model/trim will help. I can stop by my truck later on and help you out if you have a 99 full size Montero with a winter package.

Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I think that is a Gen 3 with the 3.5L engine. If so, then that is just empty space. Brake assembly is moved there in RHD models, and others have used it for dual battery setup.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Sorry for the missing info: 2003 Montero w/3.8L engine. The pic is of the area directly behind the air box on the passenger side of the engine bay. (Is anybody else having trouble with this website the last few days...keeps acting like the site is down on my end.)

Marutuk

KK6WFB
It was a question I had as well, but it is an empty spot. I have moved my window washer fluid bottle there after I got my ARB bumper :)

KgB

Observer
looks like a good spot for something, my 2003 is empty like yours. 2001 has some sort of A/C tank that uses all of that space

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
After wrenching on a minivan for the last year, it's good to work on something again with room in the engine bay.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
:drool: Maybe one day FullMonte...maybe one of these in the mean time:

shop rags.jpg

My new-to-me '03 is coming along ... blinking orange t.case light - fixed ... terribly noisy/worn/shaky/no-name all-terrains - replaced with BFG AT KO2s ... replacing all fluids, degreasing engine & undercarriage, and cleaning the rig tomorrow. A few other things on the to-do list, but at least it is now mostly sorted, driving, and safe.

Took the wife and four kids on a maiden voyage tonight. The kids had a blast! They love the sunroof, and one of them begged me to go drive on some rocks (he's 4). Tried to convince my wife that stiffer OME springs and shocks would really help the Monty feel more stable and safe ;). I'm not sure she bought it, but she liked the ride all the same.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz