What gears if go Gas full size truck...vs diesel

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
And the new trucks have a fridge sized muffler, 4 cats, and a resonator thing.

6.2 trucks do not have 4 cats, just 2.

Single cat on each bank, then 2-1 muffler, a single resonator, then the 'fridge' sized second muffler.
That recipe changes a bit I believe in the standard cab (short wheel base) trucks, but the catted y-pipe is the same.

I dumper the second muffler and went side exit on my truck, as I needed the space within the flatbed for the aux fuel tank.

It sounds beyond good with that second muffler removed. Hardly notice the difference at idle, barks nice when blipped, and not bad on the highway.

billiebob

You'll want 3000 rpm somewhere for towing. Gear accordingly to get it. Don't forget that the 6r100g has a tall double overdrive.
I disagree with implication of gearing for 3Krpm in 6th. Gear for 3Krpm in 4th, which is direct, which is the most efficent gear to transfer power to the tires.

You can downshift anytime but running empty for 500 miles at 3Krpm will suck your tank dry, your wallet empty, your sanity and eardrums will reverberate forever.

Case in point, the Audi A8 with an 8speed tranny hits top speed, just over 150mph, in 5th gear which is direct. 6th, 7th, 8th are all overdrive gears and it loses speed with each shift. This is what makes clean burning, efficient engines. Gear for power in whatever gear is direct, use overdrive to quiet the drive, extend fuel economy, reduce emissions, extend engine life.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Didn't say 6th. But you'll want that rpm around your cruise speed ''somewhere''. At your preferred cruise speed, 6th should be too low rpm, 5th just right, 4th a bit high for power and control in hills. Fords don't have a direct gear anymore. If any ratio misses your preferred rpm range a little, err towards a higher rpm axle ratio.

If I don't pay attention merging on the hwy. I can often forget to turn 5 and 6 back on. I don't notice until I notice that the gas pedal is a bit touchy. No noise or anything on my 17 thanks to the eight cats and giant muffler.

D

Deleted member 9101

Why not wait for the new 7.3 gasser? Diesel pulling power with a gas price. Ford claims that the 7.3 with the 10 speed will get the same fuel economy as the 6.2 and 6 speed.

Also, we have 6.2s in our new trucks at work. They tow 10k just fine and have no problem keeping up with traffic.

LosAngeles

Why not wait for the new 7.3 gasser? Diesel pulling power with a gas price. Ford claims that the 7.3 with the 10 speed will get the same fuel economy as the 6.2 and 6 speed.

Also, we have 6.2s in our new trucks at work. They tow 10k just fine and have no problem keeping up with traffic.

I'm certainly no expert, but I would not say that the new 7.3 L gasser has "diesel pulling power" at least compared to a current diesel Ford 6.7L that produces 450 hp and 935 lb.-ft. of torque.... and to me the torque is what matters most for power.

The current 6.2L V8 produces 385 HP and 430 lb.-ft. of torque,

and the new 7.3L V8 produces 430 HP and 475 lb.-ft. of torque,

according to #’s just released by Ford, according to this (and a few other) websites.

for what it is worth. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94