what gas engine? 2020 F350: 6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?

Mlemaster

I have a '16 with the 6.2 and had an '11 with the 6.7.

If I were to buy a new Superduty in '20 I wouldn't be to concerned with buying the 7.3 and out of the bunch that is what I would do. The 6.2 in the '16 is very strong and dependable but I do like the biggest, newest, in a line- up. Just me though, and I have a back-up if it did need warranty work.

No doubt the 6.2, and the 7.3 will operate different than a 6.7. But they are perfect for what they are designed to do. I dont tow that often anymore (but I will gladly pull anything the 6.7 did) and the new diesels will bankrupt me with out of warranty repairs. Gassers and especially the pushrod 7.3 looks like something I could likely work on out of warranty no problem.

hemifoot

Observer
right now i drive a 2500 ram with the 5.7 hemi.i carry an 8.5 ft northstar and tow around 2k +/- of boat and trailer.we do thousands of kilometers of roads and trails every year and i've yet to say i need more power.i could care less about mpg,if i did i'd be driving a prius.my next truck will be the f350 with the 6.2. probably in 2020 as well.i should add,i live in a province with 4 of the tallest mountain ranges in the country so most of our travels are up and down.

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

I have 6.2 in a work truck, 4.30's, locker, utility bed, tommy lift, CNG tank its heavy and I love the truck. I really contemplated buying one for my personal truck. 12-13mpg no matter how I drive it around town. 16 on the interstate.

D

Deleted member 9101

If it was me, I would be a bit conflicted. The 6.2 with the 6 speed will do the job. The 6.2 with the 10 speed would do it better. The 7.3 with the 10 speed would do it best.

In the end I would probably go with the 7.3/10 speed. Sometimes it's nice to have the power to hit the left lane and accelerate up hill, while fully loaded, and escape a convoy of slow moving vehicles.

Also, the 7.3 isn't incredibly hightech or complicated. It's a push rod big block built with modern engineering and materials.

yfarm

Observer
F250 7.3 10 spd supercab short bed 4.30 locking diff cloth seats rubber floor aux switches window tint power slider dual batteries high output alternator few other things list 51 and change dealer offered to order at 49 , 500 over invoice. Carli suspension 37 tires my next truck to replace my Raptor. Need to occasionally tow boats in 10k range. Tremor is only offered in crew cab version.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I might add the ''max trailer assist'' package to get the 360 camera's and the electroboost steering motor thingy. The dual battery package and dual alternators could be handy for some overlanders.

Rumor mill: The 7.3 has been delayed because the canadian plant put a stooge on the assembly line. Who messes up a piston cooling jet?

Grassland

$2250 Canadian is the upgrade cost MSRP locally for the 7.3
Since i'd only personally consider a supercab 6.75' bed, and im cheap, id giv'r on a 6.2 and 4.30. But in any case, 10k needed for a diesel buys a lot of gas, and I drove a lot of 90s GM vehicles with push rod engines that went over 130k miles without issue. Which is far more than you can say about the new GM diesel engines. My buddy's fleet of 3 Duramax (all 2015+) are just a comedy of break downs, all related to DEF, Injector, tank heater, etc. When the dealership gives you a bagged V6 half ton as a work loaner while your $80k truck is in the shop for warranty work, leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

therabbittree

Open hood and look at them both. The 6.2l is very wide silly valve train ! It is very wide and not as neat under the hood. The 7.3 has much more room. Basically looks like a ls gm much neater under hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior