what gas engine? 2020 F350: 6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?

LosAngeles

what gas engine? 2020 F350: 6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?

Hi all

Any guesses as to the increase in price from the 6.2 L gasser to the 7.3 L gasser?

If it was you (and you didn’t want diesel) what engine would you buy? the 6.2 L gasser or the 7.3 L gasser?

Our plan is to custom order a gasser 2020 F350 with just the options we want, and none that we don’t…. and put a 9.5’ Hallmark pop on it full time. No, we will almost never tow anything. We hate towing.

Diesel doesn’t make sense for us, as it adds a ton to the cost, plus weights a *lot* more than the gas engine, so it effectively reduces our max payload.
We also like to go far, far off the beaten path, and those places often don’t have diesel to sell. We dont want to worry about range ever.

I am told that our Hallmark, “wet” could be about 3,000 lbs, or maybe a little less (approximately) so I’ll have the F350 built with a lot of carrying capacity.

So the question comes down to: do we get the tried and true 6.2-liter gas V8, probably around 385 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque (current specs)
or do we spend the extra $ to get the new 7.3-liter pushrod V8.

One unknown variable… the new 10 speed transmission sounds nice… that would be nice to have. I wonder if the 6.2L gasser would even be available with the new 10 speed transmission….. Hmmm…

Thanks…. here is a copy paste of some info, from the internet:

and I quote: …”The base (Super Duty) option is a carryover 6.2-liter gasoline V8, which will likely have output ratings similar to the current model's 385 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque.

Next up is an all-new 7.3-liter pushrod V8, claimed to be the most powerful gas engine in Super Duty history.

Finally, there's a new, third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke turbodiesel V8. It has a new turbo, new internals and a new 36,000-psi fueling system to deliver power; the outgoing engine was rated for 450 hp and 935 lb-ft.

Those engines now mate to a new 10-speed automatic transmission, which weighs just 3.5 pounds more than and fits into the same physical space as the outgoing six-speed. (The base 6.2-liter engine will still be offered with the six-speed on low-cost trims.)

Ford promises improved efficiency from the new transmission. In addition to the expected Tow/Haul, the 10-speed adds extra driving modes: Slippery, Deep Sand and Snow, and Eco, the last of which feels like a token effort in a heavy-duty pickup truck.”

~~~~~~~

Explorerinil

Observer
There’s no figures out and no prices out yet. If I were to buy a ford 250 or 350 next year I would get the 6.2. Personally I would wait for the 7.3 to be out for a bit before I get it, as with any new engine design I would not get the first release.

LosAngeles

Yes indeed.... without a really specific need, i guess I would be foolish to buy the 1st year of any engine.... I should indeed buy the existing 6.2L, and as much as I would prefer the new transmission, perhaps I should get that as well. :-/

ulyist

According to my (very minimal) reading it looks like that 10 speed transmission will have a composite oil pan. Now some composites are amazingly strong, ie helicopter blades, but I’d be ordering a skid plate if anything but pavement was in my future. Of course composite oil pans are not uncommon, and steel and aluminum pans are not designed for impact either.

D

Deleted member 9101

For what you listed I'd go with the 6.2 and 10 speed. You will have a higher GVW.

For what it's worth Ford has claimed that the 7.3 will get the same fuel economy as the 6.2/6 speed combo.

Halligan

Adventurer
Tough call.... All new engine and transmission may or may not have some bugs to work out. Also, some people want to be on the cutting edge of the latest and greatest while others are content with tried and true. Which type are you? If the 6.2 will do the job and you want a new truck this year then go 6.2 and save some money and angst of having a new engine design. However, it does appear the 10 speed is across the board so you'll get that either way.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
All you need is the 6.2l with 4.30 gears. If you never tow, the 7.3 is overkill. Buuuuuuut, maybe I'd still get the 7.3 if you're in Vermont or colorado. If you're going to use 37" tires or larger, the 7.3 might be acceptable with a gear ratio one step down. 6.2 needs 4.88 or 5.13 IMO.

7.3l is going to be $1000 more with 450hp/550tq. I don't expect much more weight from the engine. Maybe an extra 100#, and another 100# for the 10r140. The 6.2 will have the 6r100g in the XL, and the 10r as an option.

I was dead on with my displacement prediction. Lets see.......

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Ford has a nasty re-occurring habit for the last 20+ years of using their CUSTOMER'S for their New Product Testing Programs to see if their engineer's actually got it right!

I see no indication that anything will change in that regard with the introduction of their new "7.3 litre" gas engine.

Your answer to the following question will provide you with an answer to your original question of "Which Engine Should I Choose":

Do you really want to be a part of Ford's new "7.3 Litre Customer Beta Field Testing Program"?

I didn't think so!

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
I just wish Ford would allow their designs to have a few years of development without a major upgrade. It's getting a little ridiculous. I would like a good 5 or so years of simple refinement. These trucks are updated so frequently to "chase the numbers", I don't want to take a chance on one. An what is it like buying parts for these trucks. Parts guy needs to stock 5 million different parts, in other words, most of the parts will have to be ordered cuz it's impossible to stock all the different year parts. Buying the first and probably the second year is out of the question for me.

D

Deleted member 9101

All you need is the 6.2l with 4.30 gears. If you never tow, the 7.3 is overkill. Buuuuuuut, maybe I'd still get the 7.3 if you're in Vermont or colorado. If you're going to use 37" tires or larger, the 7.3 might be acceptable with a gear ratio one step down. 6.2 needs 4.88 or 5.13 IMO.

7.3l is going to be $1000 more with 450hp/550tq. I don't expect much more weight from the engine. Maybe an extra 100#, and another 100# for the 10r140. The 6.2 will have the 6r100g in the XL, and the 10r as an option.

I was dead on with my displacement prediction. Lets see.......

Just read that the new 10 speed weighs 3.5 pounds more than the "old" six speed.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Did you step on the floor pedal thing? Your customers might be retarded, because even my detuned 11 000# work truck, will tow a 8 000# trailer at 80 mph without breaking a sweat.

Let me guess, they're scared of the rpm gauge, and the tow/haul button? Sounds like operator error. You got to keep in mind, that something as simple as the spring on the throttle pedal can sway an idiots opinion. There's all kinds of senseless placebo things, that I've done to get odd customers to go away happy.

I've got over 400hp under the hood. How much more do I need to haul a set of Maxtrax and a RTT? I've had 7.3 diesels with less power.

Last edited:

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I saw some tests a 4.30 geared 6.2 runs identical speed numbers to a 6.7 diesel. How fast do you need to go?
Top speed? all governed by the tire speed rating. Its all about torque...6.2 430, 6.7 has 935. the ease of how a vehicle drives is important to most. Just because a vehicle will do something does not mean its comfortable. When I tow with a 6.2, I always feel like its struggling, its floored on grades vs. my Diesel is cruising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94