What equipment do you use to stay connected when working remotely?

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I'm in the process of getting my vehicle set up so I can stay connected and work more remotely. I have a Weboost Drive Reach arriving today and I am considering also getting a Solis X Wifi Hotspot to use in conjunction with the Weboost so that I can get wifi to my laptop, which is my primary work tool. Does anyone have a Solis X Hot Spot? My goal is to be able to have more flexibility in terms of where I am when I am working remotely. Is anyone else camping remotely and staying connected to do work? If so, what equipment do you use to stay connected?

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I have a Weboost DriveX RV with a 25' mast. I use my Verizon phone with unlimited data as a hot spot. If I can get a decent signal, the booster helps for devices near the internal antenna, and I've been able to stream video in many cases - again, it depends on signal strength. At the very least, I can get internet/email and take calls. Personally, I'm retired now, but a few years back, I just had the phone with a hot spot. Camping in an area with a strong signal, I was able to remotely manage the company network. It wasn't as fast as being right there on the console, but sufficient for my needs. I'm now trying to convince my wife that she can do the same thing. We are heading out in a couple of weeks, on a weekend where she may need to be available for consultation work, and I'm doing my darndest to make sure it is a good technical experience for her.

TL;DR - in my experience, signal strength is the critical factor. No/weak signal limits your online abilities.

jkam

nomadic man
I've been using a Verizon hot spot for 12 years now.
It has been fine in 99% of the places I stay.
I don't have a need for a booster as I'm usually near enough to cell towers.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
From experience I know I can’t rely on proximity to cell towers. That’s why I ordered the booster. I’m going to start off by trying to use my phone as hot spot for my laptop. If that isn’t sufficient I’ll look at adding a dedicated hot spot.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Get ready to be disappointed...weboost/cell booster devices are pretty unrealiable. The FCC neutered the effectivity of said devices several years ago.

It's pretty random when they work...I've been all over the west working to know/have learned this lesson (several years in advance of Covidiocy)...ya gotta be in range of a tower. And usually the phone will have one - two 'bars' for weboost to work/assist a little bit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
If I'm not happy with it, I'll return it. That simple.

Get ready to be disappointed...weboost/cell booster devices are pretty unrealiable. The FCC neutered the effectivity of said devices several years ago.

It's pretty random when they work...I've been all over the west working to know/have learned this lesson (several years in advance of Covidiocy)...ya gotta be in range of a tower. And usually the phone will have one - two 'bars' for weboost to work/assist a little bit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Earlier this year I bought an AT&T IFWA-40 Wireless Hotspot to use at home and on the road. Where I live, my max wired DSL speed is about 7Mbs download and around 756Kbs upload speed...pitiful, I know. The problem is I'm a long way from the nearest AT&T hub and that's the best they can do over copper at the distance I am. I often can see much higher speeds using my iPhone as a hotspot, but it's not consistent...typically 1-3 bars LTE, but often drops back to 4G. Obviously, I'm not in a great cell location either...I'm in a shallow valley between a couple ridges, so no direct line of sight to any towers. I mile away, as the crow flies, I can get 5 bars and be golden.

With the IFWA-40 by itself using the internal antennas, I could reliably see U/D speeds of 10-12Mbs down and 1-2+Mbs up...an improvement, but not exactly setting the world on fire. Next step was an omnidirectional, 10db gain antenna that I mounted on a 10' pole above the roof level...marginal improvement, but not what I'm looking for. The next step was a Wilson Wide-band directional Yagi antenna and that did the trick once I got it accurately pointed at the optimum tower. Now I can see consistent downloads between 15 and 50Mbs and uploads between 3 and 12Mbs with it inside the attic. To keep the RF cable runs short, I mount the hotspot and the antenna in the attic. Very easy to lose all your signal with a long antenna cable run. The IFWA-40 has a Gig Ethernet port on it if you want to connect it to a wired network router and that's something I use in my home between my photo/video editing machines and NAS devices.

When I travel, I mount the Yagi antenna on a pole that I attach to the ladder on my Lance truck camper and orient as needed. Total cost was $200 for the hotspot and $90 for the Yagi antenna and a 10' cable. For $50/month, I get 50GB of data usage and I also get a phone number associated with the hot spot...the hotspot has a telephone jack on it for a wired telephone. I went round and round with AT&T about that because they charge you $10/month for the phone service, which I don't use...it's part of the $50/month. There is no way that they'll take it off and I suspect they can't due to some FCC rules about providing internet service alone in areas that AT&T doesn't normally serve with Fiber, cable or copper. If you need more data, you can upgrade to 100GB/month for an additional $50/month. At least that's the latest pricing as of a month or so ago.

With this setup I can consistently get signal where my phone alone is pretty much useless for anything other than text. If the phone is consistently showing "no service", though, not likely this system will help. Part number on the Wilson antenna is WA314411. I would not bother with the omnidirectional antenna unless you just need a minimal improvement. Also, the IFWA-40 has dual antenna inputs (I'm only using one at the moment), so you can set up a dual antenna MIMO configuration, but I can't comment on how much good that might do. There are also some high-gain antennas that you can mount directly to the hotspot, but I decided to skip over that option from the get go.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94