What else should I consider before I purchase a Subaru?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I had a 2009 Saturn Vue for a couple of years as a work car. When Saturn was shut down the Vue was rebadged and sold to rental fleets as the Chevrolet Captiva (Mexican market brand name and also the location of manufacture). They are POS, run, run far, run fast. Horrible mileage for size and weight. I averaged 16MPG combined.

If I were you I would just go get an old XC70 Volvo Wagon with the 2.5 Turbo engine and 5 speed manual. Yeah they are 10 years old but they run forever, have AWD, seat 7 in a pinch, and get decent mileage. Make sure you get the 2.5 turbo if you decide to go this way.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I had a 2009 Saturn Vue for a couple of years as a work car. When Saturn was shut down the Vue was rebadged and sold to rental fleets as the Chevrolet Captiva (Mexican market brand name and also the location of manufacture). They are POS, run, run far, run fast. Horrible mileage for size and weight. I averaged 16MPG combined.
Nuff said there. I haven't heard about them nor had I seen any at out local chevy dealer......now I see why.

I don't feel much like a car guy these days, and haven't kept up with the hottest trends in the crossover market. Hehe. I must say this has been the most UNexciting car shopping experience ever. When did practicality set in? Anyhow. Off to look at Volvo. I have always liked the looks, but have a feeling choices will be scarce. In rural South Dakota, domestic full size is king, making anything else difficult to find. Our trip to Denver should open up some possibilities.

.....and once again, a big thanks to all of you!

plumber mike

Adventurer
Cx5 takes away the manual trans as soon as I add all wheel drive.

If I could get over allowing a computer to shift for me(or not shift at all...cvt)there are many that would work. It just bugs me to have to pay more for a transmission that I really don't want.....but my wife does. If we can get an auto discounted to the price of a manual, then maybe.....just maybe. My biggest fear, as cars get less appealing to me, and more expensive, is that in 2018 or so, I will not be able to find ANYTHING I can live with, and will be forced to keep the one we buy this weekend. I want it to be something I can work on as well....if needed. The big three have dealerships within 20 miles of us. Most Japanese car dealers are about 60 miles away, and a German car dealer can be found about 300 miles on either side of us. The forester we looked at, I can at least recognize the major components within the engine compartment.

For those with deeper pockets, the BMW X1 looks to be a nice unit. Audi did away with there little A4 wagon(which looks very cool) but still offers the allroad. Both too rich for this blue collar fella.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Check the long term test of the cx5 on edmunds.com - they praise the auto tranny on the Mazda and offer many other good things about the car.

dddonkey

Adventurer
I have a Mazda CX-9 with the auto and it does for pretty well, I can always use the slap stick option if needed, It is basical the ford explorer. The milage is on like 19-20 city and 25-26 highway.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Why is the stick so important to you? Who is going to be driving it more, you or her? Which does she prefer? Seriously, outside of the diehard sports car guys, no one wants a stick. Formula One abandoned them in the '80's, that's a clue.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Autos suck.....CVT suck.....(I can say that rebuilt all three) they leave you stranded when they decide to blow up.... all this computer crap built by the lowest bidder... with the cheapest wiring... designed to last max of 10 years....

I would rather walk then drive this new garbage.... nothing will leave you out like this new computer stuff....

Give me a manual mechanical injected diesel I can push down hill to start... the manual will go let you know it is blowing up for thousands of miles typically...

Other night out of cell service limping home my new expedition vehicle (500miles bought it sight unseen 1983) it broke an alternator belt.... so instead of being stuck on a highway without cell service in the middle of the night I got to drive 120 miles to the next town, mechanical diesels needs 0 power (down to 5 volts no headlights), threw a alternator belt on, jump it (auto is going to be swapped real soon) and drove home... try that with anything 2013...

Formula one cars come with a crew of mechanics.... personal vehicles in the bush do not... KISS.

nasko

Adventurer
Personally I am with you on the manual transmission. Secondly, IMO, Subaru's AWD is second to none. Check out some youtube videos/reviews on the matter. I have a 2004 Impreza that has been absolutely great. Only reason that I do not drive it lately is that it is getting a little small when we load up with the wife, kid and a 45kg dog. Otherwise for ~10 years driving it in Canadian winters I have been stuck once for about 25 minutes and managed to get out on my own. I do not think you will dislike either of the Forester or the Outback. Like you, I would buy manual. Cheers and good luck

Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
Like I told her. I have no good reason to want a manual, except for the automatics I've paid to rebuild. A turbo 350,400,700 maybe, but my skills are not up to a cvt or an 8-9 speed auto.

We had considered new but I just don't think I can stomach it. The only way to effectively voice my distaste for new cars, and the government who forced there hand into the industry, is to let them rot on the lot.

The subaru just happened to be the least offensive.....still not totally appealing.

That Cummins/ Suburban thing is getting close, considering I just saved myself from parting with 20-30k.

Thank you all

stioc

Expedition Leader
If the Forrester fits the budget/roominess/requirements they're great reliable cars with a very good AWD system.

Why is the stick so important to you? Who is going to be driving it more, you or her? Which does she prefer? Seriously, outside of the diehard sports car guys, no one wants a stick. Formula One abandoned them in the '80's, that's a clue.

^^^ x2

I used to race cars as a hobby and was a die-hard stick-shift fan, I even preferred stick-shift over the early BMW SMGs (F1 style paddle shifters). However, even then my daily drivers were automatics, they're so much easier to live with on a daily basis. They're also quite reliable now, at least the Japanese variety, that 200k with regular oil changes is not unheard of. My truck has 135k hard miles on the original transmission and never had to do anything but change oil.

Seriously, 400miles a week with a manual and on a wife's car doesn't compute, not to mention you're severely limiting your options looking for a manual. Just my 2 cents :coffee:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Autos suck.....CVT suck.....(I can say that rebuilt all three) they leave you stranded when they decide to blow up.... all this computer crap built by the lowest bidder... with the cheapest wiring... designed to last max of 10 years....

I would rather walk then drive this new garbage.... nothing will leave you out like this new computer stuff....

Give me a manual mechanical injected diesel I can push down hill to start... the manual will go let you know it is blowing up for thousands of miles typically...

Other night out of cell service limping home my new expedition vehicle (500miles bought it sight unseen 1983) it broke an alternator belt.... so instead of being stuck on a highway without cell service in the middle of the night I got to drive 120 miles to the next town, mechanical diesels needs 0 power (down to 5 volts no headlights), threw a alternator belt on, jump it (auto is going to be swapped real soon) and drove home... try that with anything 2013...

Formula one cars come with a crew of mechanics.... personal vehicles in the bush do not... KISS.

I put an additional 70,000 miles on a high mileage truck with a bad rear main seal and an auto transmission. I just added oil on occasion. Try that with a manual trans, you won't even go 1,000 miles.

wallaceg

Observer
I own a 1997 Subaru Impreza with the 4 speed automatic (190k) and a 2010 Toyota RAV4 with the 5 speed automatic (35k). Prior to the Subaru I never owned an automatic. It took a little getting used to, but I'm OK with the automatic now. It's less enjoyable on twisty country roads, but more enjoyable in traffic and no different on the highway. I don't drive for sport; I drive to get from A to B safely and efficiently. Both auto transmissions have been more than capable of that task and no reliability problems so far.

Take a look at the 3rd generation (2006-2012) RAV4 with the V6 and the 5 speed automatic. I've been super impressed with that vehicle after coming from a 1999 4Runner V6 manual. Lots of interior room in a small package, 269 HP with reasonable fuel economy (I get 26-27 mpg), a full size spare tire (not available on the Subarus), 4wd lock (like a locking center diff, although it's actually a clutch plate), and available with 3rd row seats if you desire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles