what doi you use for Gen 2.5 Tranny OIL

plh

Explorer
Also, I've got 170K and not sure how long it's been since changed. Would you do a flush or just change what comes out? Filter change? What brand filter is best? And how many quarts of fluid will I need? Thanks a lot

Full fluid exchange is roughly 10 quarts. Depends on which Gen you have thou, some are a little more, some a little less. ie: about a quart. Might want to buy a dozen, then with any extra, change the Power Steering as well.

Jarhead74

Observer
Hey gents. Did all Fluids yesterday on the new to me 97. I do not want to start a fluid war here. My 97 calls for Dex 2. After much reading, including seeing similar transmission was in the the 3rd gen 4runner which I also had at one time I went with max life atf. I drained the pan only, was surprised to get almost 5.5 qts out. I only put in 5 back and took a drive to warm up the transmission. Then checked and added bit more to get full mark.

The fluid in there was not black but looked like it needed a change. Will do another drain/refill next oil change

So driving after and today, the shifts are much smoother. I had similar results with my 4runner after the fluid swap. So, running well now. Hopeful the transmission will not exploded due to the fluid. I know the SP3 would work as well, but went with the maxlife.

KyleT

Explorer
Good luck man, it's pretty proven that you will have issues running anything but dex II (not dex3) or diaqueen sp3 or other sp3 exact spec from Hyundai or eneosSP.

Jarhead74

Observer
Where is it proven? Maxlife has been ran in many vehicles calling for Dex fluid. Checkout BITOG. Not saying you are wrong, just maxlife has worked well for me in the past with the 4runner and T100. I will give feedback as put on more miles. Got a long trip coming. Not trying to change peoples minds here, just what I used and the results.

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
The Mitsubishi runs a V4AW3 and hard shifts and other issues are associated with not using dex2 or sp3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarhead74

Observer
There is no more Dex 2. Not sure if I have seen Dex 3 on the shelves. Most are multi vehicle compatible. I know the newest DEX, might be too thin for our applications and cause some issues. Once I did the fluid change, the shifts are much smoother. Overall shifts better.

The fluids I was looking at were:

Maxlife
Valvoline Import ATF
Castrol Import ATF

KyleT

Explorer
Yeah. Dex3 is now multi vehicle.

You might get lucky but I would use sp3 spec and not look back. My 98 shifted horrible and it took 2 drain refills (not just the pan) to get it back smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
We just installed some (quart sizes) in PA_JERO's Pajero, I believe it was $6 a quart. Maybe IncX remembers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior