what doi you use for Gen 2.5 Tranny OIL

KyleT

Explorer
so what is final word? can I take Montero to any Trans shop and ask them to changed it with new filter and Dex II or IIII and oil has to be purchased from dealer? why they making these so much difficult?

Spiii ONLY. Not dex3 or any "import" atf one claiming to be sp2/sp3 compatable. . You have three choices. The Eneos sp, Hyundai SPIII, or factory Mitsubishi diamond SPIII.

Maybe you can get away with something else for a while but the friction modifiers in the fluid are not correct for a Mitsubishi transmission. This is a known fact.

It's super easy to change the fluid yourself. Find the fluid online cheap or even Napa and oreilly carry the Eneos.

newworld2004

Adventurer
Spiii ONLY. Not dex3 or any "import" atf one claiming to be sp2/sp3 compatable. . You have three choices. The Eneos sp, Hyundai SPIII, or factory Mitsubishi diamond SPIII.

Maybe you can get away with something else for a while but the friction modifiers in the fluid are not correct for a Mitsubishi transmission. This is a known fact.

It's super easy to change the fluid yourself. Find the fluid online cheap or even Napa and oreilly carry the Eneos.

Fluid is easy, however I have not done filter yet. since I don't have any previous record do you recommend to do flush/filter or just replace fluid and new filter?

vanatee2000

Observer
my owners manual for my 99 2.5 says to use dex2 but the mitsu dealer says they have never done that and always use sp3. i changed mine out and put in sp3 from the dealer, seems to be working fine

newworld2004

Adventurer
my owners manual for my 99 2.5 says to use dex2 but the mitsu dealer says they have never done that and always use sp3. i changed mine out and put in sp3 from the dealer, seems to be working fine

so nearest dealer to me is about 40 miles one way, I find below product in advanced auto parts , is this safe to be used in transmission and power steering? it is Valvoline multi vehicle ATF.

Attachments

• 20160501_104206.jpg
    20160501_104206.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

newworld2004

Adventurer
so , I took my Montero to one of the transmission shop to get more info, one of the senior tech test drove, looked at the oil and said, trans seems to be good, but not knowing the history of it, if I do transmission oil change it may actually create some problem like slipping , etc,.. he said leave it alone.

so I am stuck as what to do?

KyleT

Explorer
The valve line won't work. You don't seem to care or listen. ONLY use the specific sp3 fluids listed, OEM Mitsubishi, Kia/Hyundai, or the eneosSP. No matter what the bottle says on any other fluid it will not work. The friction modifiers are NOT correct. EneosSP is available at many parts stores as well as online.

Or continue to not read what people put and do whatever you want.

Buy sp3 online, get 10 quarts and do a complete flush via trans cooler hose. Did mine in less than 20 mins. No need to mess around just do it

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Get Diamond SP or if you want to be a cheap get Eneos SP from Napa. DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE!!! These transmissions are good, treat it right and it will last you a long time. Old oil is not holding it together, keep clean fluid in there. The redneck shop is turning you away because you drive something strange to them, they are doing you a favor. Take it to the Mitsubishi dealer if you are scared, I've owned more of these trucks than probably anyone on this forum and i will say the #1 thing i like to do is new Diamond SP and gear oil. Only good results have followed.

By the way, you said tranny. :********:

newworld2004

Adventurer
Get Diamond SP or if you want to be a cheap get Eneos SP from Napa. DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE!!! These transmissions are good, treat it right and it will last you a long time. Old oil is not holding it together, keep clean fluid in there. The redneck shop is turning you away because you drive something strange to them, they are doing you a favor. Take it to the Mitsubishi dealer if you are scared, I've owned more of these trucks than probably anyone on this forum and i will say the #1 thing i like to do is new Diamond SP and gear oil. Only good results have followed.

By the way, you said tranny. :********:

will do. Thx a lot.

monkey620

I'm getting ready for some maintenance on my 98'. Gonna get SP3 for the trans. What do you use for gear oil. Would you change it all? Front, rear, transfer case etc. Thanks

monkey620

Also, I've got 170K and not sure how long it's been since changed. Would you do a flush or just change what comes out? Filter change? What brand filter is best? And how many quarts of fluid will I need? Thanks a lot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94