what doi you use for Gen 2.5 Tranny OIL

newworld2004

Adventurer
I read "***Some Gen 2.5s may require Mitsubishi Diamond SP III transmission fluid depending on build date***?

how do I know if I have to use ATF Dexron II or Mitsubishi Diamond SP III transmission for 1998 Montero trans fluid.

Thx in advanced.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I read "***Some Gen 2.5s may require Mitsubishi Diamond SP III transmission fluid depending on build date***?

how do I know if I have to use ATF Dexron II or Mitsubishi Diamond SP III transmission for 1998 Montero trans fluid.

Thx in advanced.

Your owner's manual will tell you what fluid to use. Mine is a 97 SR and says to use Dexron II but the Mitsu dealer and several forum members say that SPIII is the way to go. I'm going to go with the SPIII, just bought 9 quarts at the dealer for $6/each.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
That's not exactly true, I've had some dextron with a friction modifier installed once. Made the truck shift insanely hard, the guy that did it for me was into VR-4's and owned a lube shop. It worked just fine and has been on the road for a lot of years now but it still shifts hard fluid changes later.

If you must be cheap you can buy Eneos SP at Napa

newworld2004

Adventurer
That's not exactly true, I've had some dextron with a friction modifier installed once. Made the truck shift insanely hard, the guy that did it for me was into VR-4's and owned a lube shop. It worked just fine and has been on the road for a lot of years now but it still shifts hard fluid changes later.

If you must be cheap you can buy Eneos SP at Napa

I am confused, are you saying to use Diamond SP instead of Dexron II or Mitsubishi Diamond SP III?

jlocster

Explorer
Gen 2.5 trannys use Dexron in the US, I don't know about other countries. However, Gen 2 and various year Sports use Diamond SP III, and are very particular about it. In the parts guide I added the asterisk so Gen 2, Sport owners and Gen 2.5 owners from other countries would consult their owner's manual first to be sure they're using the right fluid for their particular vehicle. That said, if in doubt, use Diamond SP III as it is a superior fluid.

Last edited:

newworld2004

Adventurer
Gen 2.5 trannys use Dexron in the US, I don't know about other countries. However, Gen 2 and various year Sports use Diamond SP III, and are very particular about it. In the parts guide I added the asterisk so Gen 2, Sport owners and Gen 2.5 owners from other countries would consult their owner's manual first to be sure they're using the right fluid for their particular vehicle. That said, if in doubt, use Diamond SP III as it is a superior fluid.

Thx for clarification. I will use Diamond SP III then.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Some are more picky than others (i wouldn't risk it on the later models especially), just get tht the SP and don't worry. Other stuff will work maybe is what I'm saying.

As for the old fluids in the manuals, they don't really exist anymore they have been superceded.

I just changed all te old fluid in my 95 SR today. Flushed out all the old by disconnecting the cooler line and put in fresh SP-III. Shifts are like night and day now.

KyleT

Explorer
Eneos SP in my 98 from dex3, HUGE difference.

Much info on bobistheoilguy on sp3 vs dex3 and how it's not the same spec.

newworld2004

Adventurer
Eneos SP in my 98 from dex3, HUGE difference.

Much info on bobistheoilguy on sp3 vs dex3 and how it's not the same spec.

so what is final word? can I take Montero to any Trans shop and ask them to changed it with new filter and Dex II or IIII and oil has to be purchased from dealer? why they making these so much difficult?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles