What do you use for deflating your tires?

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have some 30 year old Staun deflators that no longer adjust. Tried cleaning them up with brake drum cleaner but still they do not adjust.
Looks like it is time to replace them with something new.
What are the ones that you use and are they effective to bring down tire from 45 to 30 pounds?

jadmt

ignore button user
I have been using Stauns and they work great. Mine are only 6 years old but I have used them a lot. If you got 30 years out of a set I would say you got your monies worth. I have tried the ARB deflator and like the stauns better.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Stauns for me. The ARB unit is too fiddly for my tastes. I bought some cheap Staun knock offs. I have them adjusted so that I have pairs in 15, 25, and 45 PSI. Makes it easy to select the amount of deflate I need for the road/situation. The cheap ones are not as repeatable (the stop point varies a bit), and they vibrate sometimes making a humming noise.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I looked at the ARB deflator but I don't want to remove the core, too easy to lose it or get it into the dirt.
Stauns did not cost so much 30 years ago, but them few things did.

homeguy

Observer
I’ve got staun deflators too. They are the best ones for airing down the easy way. I’ve got an ARB deflator too. I like the staun better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oogs

I have a set of Staun deflators but never use them. My go to is a set of simple screw on deflators that come on a key chain similar to what Terraflex has. There are a couple companies that sell basically the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Teraflex-480...123084&sr=8-2&keywords=teraflex+air+deflators

They're not adjustable so you have to keep an eye on your tires when airing down but they're a lot cheaper and faster than Staun's. I've been using this style for 20 years.

krick3tt

Adventurer
My concern about losing the valve core was eliminated by going to the ARB website and downloading the PDF about operating the tool. The core is not going to be totally removed (technically) but remain inside the tool till retightened so I think that the ARB tool is probably a good choice. The gage is also good to have and can, so they say, be accurate within one pound or so. I have a Viair compressor to refill the tires, so it appears that there should be little,if any, problem cushioning my rocky ride.
Looked at the set that is on a key chain loop from Amazon mentioned by Oogs, Thanks
Thanks to you all for the responses in helping me make an reasonably informed decision. Maybe I can use the old Stauns for fishing weights.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have a set of Staun deflators but never use them. My go to is a set of simple screw on deflators that come on a key chain similar to what Terraflex has. There are a couple companies that sell basically the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Teraflex-480...123084&sr=8-2&keywords=teraflex+air+deflators

They're not adjustable so you have to keep an eye on your tires when airing down but they're a lot cheaper and faster than Staun's. I've been using this style for 20 years.

PM me if you want to sell your Stauns

Laps

I have an ARB deflator, but I can deflate more quickly just using a dial tire gauge.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Have a set of Staun deflators, but I usually just remove the cap and use a key to depress the valve (simpler is often better). It takes only a few minutes for all 4 tires (my normal, unloaded, road pressure is usually less than 25 psi and unless going on/into really difficult terrain (bottomless powder snow); I rarely deflate below 10-12 psi)... I run selectable lockers on the off road vehicle with medium traction mud tires so deflation for traction is usually not necessary.

Enjoy!

Boston90

I use a Teraflex (ARB style) deflator. Looks identical to the ARB. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is made in the same facility (paperwork states Burkey Manufacturing). It’s quick and easy and the gauge is convenient. Zero fear of losing the stem. I’d say more likely to damage a stem by using an object like a pen/key/twig to depress the stem.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I’d say more likely to damage a stem by using an object like a pen/key/twig to depress the stem.

Based on ~30 years of using a key (with exactly zero damaged valves or stems) I would say that damage is unlikely. There are spare cores in the compressor box in any case. Its quicker to air down by removing the core for big tires, which I don't use anymore; but you need to be good at catching them; you will loose some, and need to have replacements on hand).
...When someone is ill prepared and looses a core; there is exactly one in the spare tire....

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94