What do you use for a truck gun?

WSS

Rock Stacker
Springfield Armory .308 M1A Tanker. Shoots like a dream. My range is only 50 yards but, will do a 2-3 inch group with the open sites standing. Haven't benched it yet. It also destroyed/ventilated one of my steel targets......guess it wasn't rifle rated......Always wanted a big rifle and this one fits the bill.

Hit me up if you want to trade some gear. I can make just about any type of target. The one in the pic has 1/4" (body armor), 3/8" and 1/2" AR500. I cut a hole in a test armor plate to hang on the stand. The resulting sound or the three different thicknesses was cool.

IMG_3109.JPG

Back story to this stand with three targets, It is to practice (and commemorate) the "Eli drill". We will eventually draw from a seated position CCW, hit the center at 40yds, then someone will signal left or right, or by color to signal which way the perp fell or is falling, then take the second shot. 40yds with a CCW gun is a respectable feat.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Hit me up if you want to trade some gear. I can make just about any type of target. The one in the pic has 1/4" (body armor), 3/8" and 1/2" AR500. I cut a hole in a test armor plate to hang on the stand. The resulting sound or the three different thicknesses was cool.

View attachment 746310

Back story to this stand with three targets, It is to practice (and commemorate) the "Eli drill". We will eventually draw from a seated position CCW, hit the center at 40yds, then someone will signal left or right, or by color to signal which way the perp fell or is falling, then take the second shot. 40yds with a CCW gun is a respectable feat.

Very cool! Great looking targets and drill! The drill brings back fond memories of similar training drills back in the day (30+ years ago now....) Keep training! Be safe.

Last edited:

WSS

Rock Stacker
Very cool! Great looking targets and drill! The drill brings back fond memories of similar training drills back in the day (30+ years ago now....) Keep training! Be safe.

I personally do not train enough. I build lots of steel targets and body armor though. Here is a link to the fun test I did. I have built multi target stands before but never one that passes over center, I needed to make sure it would not flop or fall over. I think the testing is the best part.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I personally do not train enough. I build lots of steel targets and body armor though. Here is a link to the fun test I did. I have built multi target stands before but never one that passes over center, I needed to make sure it would not flop or fall over. I think the testing is the best part.

Well done!

N.Penley

Unfortunately I can’t carry at work and I’m not gonna risk my job tryn. When traveling I take a couple handguns and a long gun. The long gun depends on the location and situation but frequently it’s a stevens 320 pump. The 12 ga. Is a great self defense round and I carry buckshot, birdshot, and a few slugs to cure whatever ails me and keep my belly full. I seldom carry a rifle unless I’m hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eodcoduto

Ruger LC9 with a spring clip for church, Glock 34 or an M9 in the console. Cheap M4 copy with iron sights in the back.
Not the sexiest but carrying the M9 and M4 for 20 years lets me know what they will and won’t do. Plus in my opinion if you haven’t put atleast 3000 rounds through a gun you can’t trust it. That includes the LC9 which sucks to shoot but it is easy to hide.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I picked up one of these Black Aces shotguns. Nice and compact.

I also enjoy a mini 12 gauge. Mine is a Churchill, made in Turkey, and basically a 870 clone with a 12” barrel. Holds 4+1 and 5 more on the cuff. At $179.00 it’s free to bounce around in the truck with zero guilt. Shown on a piece of Turkish furniture just for fun.1AD58D6A-FB53-4D16-A0F4-2F342222FB7F.jpeg

WSS

Rock Stacker
But will you trust that new barrel? I wouldn't without running a couple thousand through it, first. :cool:

One of the give and takes of 20p is the fps. 3900-4000. Definitely "broke in" by by 800 rds. I have 300rds through the Krieger barrel now and the node is stablized.

IMG_9007.JPG

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
On the recent anniversary of my dear departed ma’s passing, while perusing old snaps of past family get togethers I found this picture of that tough old gal checking out her ‘truck gun’ after a dinner one night in my sib’s cabin in far north Idaho, about 37 miles from the B.C. border, circa 2005. Poodle, check; bottle of red wine, check; AR rifle, check.

46DCC91D-38C4-45EB-B22E-A26D8F608EA8.jpeg

(My favorite picture (sadly long lost), of this amazing woman was from her ‘overlanding’ years, her dressed in dusty faded jeans, wearing low heeled roper boots and sporting a Ruger six gun hanging from a full cartridge belt low on her right hip, while standing in the shade of a big old cottonwood next to a friend’s 1968 Jeep when we’d stopped for a quick water break during a high desert drive out exploring abandoned mining sites in the Huachuca Mountains just a hair north of the AZ/Mex border. Truth, they don’t make many like her anymore)

Last edited:

eodcoduto

My 3000 round rule is based on personal preference and experience, M9 locking blocks break around 10k rounds, and with over 100k rounds through the same M4 I noticed a few more brass over bolt failures towards the end. I figured thats from the upper receiver getting sloppy. No replacement for trigger time and lots of dry fires, even though dry firing gets old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles