What do you use for a truck gun?

coastalcop

Ok,

Not a lawyer, but heres goes on splaining a few things lucy ;)

Some things are Tejas specific, but SCOTUS decisions are nationally binding.....mostly.

If I pull you over (hell I havent been in patrol for over a decade) , so lets say if one of my people pulls you over. Just present your Handgun license (if required in your state) or tell us there's a heater in the car. In a state with constitutional carry just let us know.

Our answer to you telling us there is a gun in the car, barring the unforeseen, is likely going to be " dont go for yours and I wont go for mine" and realistically providing the license and a friendly attitude is likely to result in a warning instead of a citation. Why? We have discretion in most things, and you being polite and letting us know (vs my partner spotting something from the passenger side) shows that youre a team player, and whatever you did to get put on the curb was probably accidental.

Couple of quick points about "warrants" to search : penn v mimms allows an officer to order you out of the vehicle, depending on the interpretation of your particular state and the prosecutors opinion on Chimel and Gant a "wingspan" search of your vehicle (where you could reach depending on where youre sitting) can be performed without the warrant. One of the key factors is whether your state considers a traffic stop an arrest, a detention, or a custodial/noncustodial arrest.

In some states the traffic stop and citation IS an arrest, merely one where you are temporarily in custody and provide your "promise to appear" by signing the citation. This is where SCOTUS decisions interplay with state definitions of an arrest.

Getting into the weeds a bit, its not probable that you are going to run into the .0005% of cops with severe rookieitis (they are usually being observed by an FTO) or one of the very few bad apples out there thats going to abuse the system or their authority.

Be polite, understand that its a tough job, and be a little patient, you will probably be on your way inside of 10 minutes.

Oh and to answer the original question Remington TAC-13 with a brace, though I wouldnt consider myself unserved by a standard 18" 870 pump gun.

Damn, on that note, let me make it even more confusing. What may be legal in the standard penal code, may be illegal in the fish and wildlife code where carrying weapons in a vehicle is concerned (to curb road hunting/poaching) though it is unlikely the Rabbit Rangers are going to be putting you on the curb anyway, and the folks that arent game wardens usually dont know...... or care about the wildlife code during a traffic stop.

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
Ok,

Not a lawyer …

Couple of quick points about "warrants" to search : penn v mimms allows an officer to order you out of the vehicle, depending on the interpretation of your particular state and the prosecutors opinion on Chimel and Gant a "wingspan" search of your vehicle (where you could reach depending on where youre sitting) can be performed without the warrant. One of the key factors is whether your state considers a traffic stop an arrest, a detention, or a custodial/noncustodial arrest.

Penn v momms states that an officer can pat down a citizen once pulled out of the car without breaking the 4th. It DOES NOT allow the officer to search the car.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_v._Mimms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripLeader

Explorer
Penn v momms states that an officer can pat down a citizen once pulled out of the car without breaking the 4th. It DOES NOT allow the officer to search the car.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_v._Mimms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He also referenced Chimel v. California and Arizona v. Gant. Those cases give police authority to search in certain situations.

My understanding is Mimms gives police authority to command a person to step out of a vehicle during a traffic stop. Terry v. Ohio gives police authority to pat down a person under certain circumstances.

All the above cases, and more, provide guidance when a warrantless search may be conducted.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
SOCOM 16, not a tanker. The tanker was the name commonly used with the chopped Garands. ;) Really handy little gun with a punch (on the heavy side though).
https://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series-rifles/m1a-socom-16-rifles/

FWIW.

The technical product name (make, model, variant) for the rifle is: M1A, SOCOM 16, "Tanker" M1A .308 Rifle.

The "Tanker" is a model variant within the M1A, SOCOM 16 model line. The only difference between these SOCOM 16 rifles is stocks and some furniture.

Cheers.

4C64C336-EAA2-465B-B263-FE140D10DFAD.pngB8382912-2E72-4E0B-A632-49C0052F9981.png3EC3D47D-AE8A-422D-80E7-4D4679785FE7.png

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Darn SA, changing up names again; when did they add that to the line up?

Historically the "tankers" were chopped Garands. I do like that model a lot though- I wish the shorter versions were available when I bought my NM model. I think 18" seems to be about the sweet spot on that style .308 and would buy a Scout Squad if I were buying one today.

Some really neat looking models in here but I don't think they'd be very comfortable to shoot.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/tanker-garands-the-real-story/

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Darn SA, changing up names again; when did they add that to the line up?

Historically the "tankers" were chopped Garands. I do like that model a lot though- I wish the shorter versions were available when I bought my NM model. I think 18" seems to be about the sweet spot on that style .308 and would buy a Scout Squad if I were buying one today.

Some really neat looking models in here but I don't think they'd be very comfortable to shoot.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/tanker-garands-the-real-story/

They do have a great history.

As for shooting, and only my opinion but, the combination of the muzzle brake, gas operation, physical weight and shorter length seems to make the rifle more comfortable and controllable. Single round or multiple rounds it always seems to come right back on target without fight/muscling it.
Of course this only applies to the Tanker and not the synthetic stock models since I've never shot those and have a bit of a bias against those types of stocks on heavy/powerful rifles.

Cheers.

Roha

I'm mostly using my old 6.5 Bergara. Didn't really need it anymore after I've bought Savage 110 in 6.5 Creedmore, so now it rides with me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles