What do you use for a truck gun?

Fun little guns and the 16" barrel adds some zip to the 9mm. Every Kel-Tec product I've seen seems to come about 95% finished with the buyer needing to clean up leftover mold flashing, smooth off rough edges, polish the internals, etc. IIRC, you guys can't get the good magazines i.e. the 33rnd Glock mags but I can recommend a couple of items if you can get them. The KelTec factory spare magazine holder if it will work on the 2nd gens (not sure and I don't see them on KTs website at the moment) and a rail section for a light plus there is a company called tacticool products that makes a slip over buffer tube cover, bolt buffer and a cocking handle slip over cover. The buffer tube cover fits nice and helps when it's cold out; the buffer seems to help recoil a little but the bolt won't lock into the rearward position in the notch if you use it. Mine is a 1st gen and folks seem to enjoy shooting it and it's always been reliable, even with the inexpensive Korean magazines*, but it just doesn't inspire enough confidence in me for some reason, I guess it's just a subjective thing regarding the way it feels.

http://www.tacticoolproducts.com/products/

*If you get the Korean mags, you will need to disassemble them, clean up any flashing inside, possibly smooth the follower, and replace the bottom with a factory Glock (they stay on better). If you still have any issues replace the spring with either a factory Glock or aftermarket such as Wolff.

I love my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 for a truck gun. It's a 40 S&W. It's hard to beat a pistol caliber carbine - high capacity magazines, cheap to shoot, decent muzzle velocity, lightweight, and since it's sholder fired, more accurate than a handgun. Oh, and it folds in half! Mine has a few mods from RLP and a Trijicon Reflex site that will co-witness the iron sights. I carry Underwood Ammo Xtreme Defenders 1400 FPS and 500 ft lbs Muzzle Energy (probably more out of a 16" barrel).

Ff5-iO1L6t06mmYqhquRS3f-8IAUgpoJz56Kh57VjtV1G8S86LRvOBv7mQdK9H4REgBX9QVC0OAWMFuwoan7kl67R-5rl0dXaqvpMsayUMz-dvRqmozZZZzhYxVPccA-BtQ3g90BrmmKkb0A7o_TPb-viO-OV0PZ3r8lCWpmxiIxyNATj9MYGeVLJiMUg-6iXpvjRAomBjTjNE6iH89I6HdzE2g61wDC85ehPtYukqWc8p8TXujWqWEYxTv_ty9sF7Jj6g9bvQEjZoOxcR7X34vKQxhB5mXJRgjdtGK_5MDpxVbNswVtQmpepmbTpnO3IdEvT2-F54jyY4a4E7iZzZ6N5b_8YiLEw7G-yH9ju-Z0wNIW_N1aeBcmWuI-oOBO2XT7ww8Ix5qPKKycBMJd53ZnOpZwKU9tSvJhcoVKjvCAP5EzGmqUaI7D5RZ7jZ1uVtwK8I687kjuq1svDdonbOIVpZ5r2xtAQ6hoM_6FZpI1fK7KHRwUl63xLJ4ASwnoXxrwyBF1Q_U1cNjrXP_OfaX9M-tkNVMhHZyUZCIph4OSu2AVCwzvOrdnr3mXMY7WFqUGsGYfbKBYKnqNSyiyad5Y47-1lSJh2jXldwALZrBgtnXMM43lmXFAqqxgkbm0-fVUHLnX0I8Tp011OLhIvTZH4hSR1oW50mysKUXAD3-WijCF4InrDi4=w1917-h1078-no
aDZpr2B9JcMVZygGLBWq0pewoBPUDYSYKbp8NFIBUNfweMoYTq8BoXVb7tpPPpk_qFKcP2ysYtac1Jf872MaOfcLjqLTb7i6KXMKvM0loPFGynW9Y0PcJTKj_LeI-t838sPj6__k_uJh8h1ra30e3aoymn9eRDlDKfZAc_RvwUK5BIasWatGJaxdAEVn3tEdYdWtNdGvxKWLKYWpyAOJEcPk2cX_oYLmVyEL00CEdgStP62mmtDK-b7t3Me54X1ypUXJdU2-t--0Rl38wm1JkeO7f9dcEJ4WtW1MzUkKm4xy7sJAwNCW8FMkFpt_vHi7wplIyl7hotMaB8Yg3HbBxlUxJ1RW0UPsu80lBnSnyuYYh8euiwB6RT-D3N4s33M1IjMEHzHOgUM3b5YHsVUDoDHhC7NbJwn4sZi9szykpOZXQMgM3sdZ_heAFFW8NNzBUN7thYRB-N-EXMbkBq2JqBk8-vxrBwWdYXqvIrZ8FsUSKqqxNXP-X3e1H6JRdtcfxxecHJF84haIbO2jcnFbOU-JSJtBDScl5yOZtdRIoLbKMpJZrd0UMxr7TmTwoXXB6esax6RFDU7T9WX_Yr_s9pQYnTVO8segvplEpzh_y-tH8vMFwhmbS0Lyn2v6evVU0YiLwCXd32igqv53zqvxquNdYAmbChRo_ByzG7UcqFkrq3yo7KvvmzI=w1438-h1078-no

JakeH

Adventurer
I've seen those little folding sub 2000s , but how do they maintain a zero? Seems like they would never hit the same POA twice...

I've seen those little folding sub 2000s , but how do they maintain a zero? Seems like they would never hit the same POA twice...

They're not too bad, I've never had any problems consistenly hitting where I'm aiming out to 50 yards. There's nothing "precision" about Kel-Tec, but it does okay.

Reactions: WVI

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I've been eyeballing one of these. Spent a lot of time shooting a more traditional flavor of the same gun as a kid.

Mostly, I just want one so that my father craps his pants while ranting about the "shiny metal" and the "fake wood stock". Hehe.

Seriously though. Can you think of a problem that can't be solved with 6 rounds of 45-70?

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
I've been eyeballing one of these. Spent a lot of time shooting a more traditional flavor of the same gun as a kid.

Mostly, I just want one so that my father craps his pants while ranting about the "shiny metal" and the "fake wood stock". Hehe.

Seriously though. Can you think of a problem that can't be solved with 6 rounds of 45-70?

Yea. Lots.

But seriously, I get the aesthetic of one but practicality is nearly zero.

This whole thread is full of Fudd crap. And it exceptionally tiering

Everyone in here should have a striker fired double stack 9mm in either compact or full size. Only from a reliable platform like Glock, S&W M&P, HK, FN, or even Sig.

The only exception should be a rifle in moose and bear country.

And if you leave your gun in the truck, you’re a problem.

Don’t be a DA. Don’t leave your gun in a vehicle you’re not in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
Yea. Lots.

Everyone in here should have a striker fired double stack 9mm in either compact or full size. Only from a reliable platform like Glock, S&W M&P, HK, FN, or even Sig.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Yea. Lots.

Nope, got the right to keep any and all firearms I own in my vehicle and that's what I do,
not overly fond of 9mm's, my Luger and Browning hi-power are 9's and while nice shooting I wouldn't rely on them for much, my Sig 226 in .40 has 4 15 round mags and that's my carry gun, and in Nevada I can carry it locked, loaded and placed anywhere in my vehicle hidden or in plain view.
And your personal belief that leaving a gun in an unattended vehicle makes someone a "problem" is truly one of the most ignorant things I've read in some time!
You and people like you are the "problem" in this world, thinking that we can't leave a personal belonging in a personal belonging, why? Because it might get stolen? That makes the thief the problem not the gun owner!
That type of snowflake crap makes me feel like vomiting and leads to ignorant laws being written by ignorant people to make law abiding people criminals for simply exercising their 2nd amendment right!
You may think that way and mores the pity for you but that's just your opinion, keep it to yourself and don't spout garbage like that because it can and often does lead to other ignorant people taking crappy ideas like that and making them laws that only affect those of us who follow the laws and it usually always does nothing to reduce crime, it just makes snowflakes "feel better".

CampStewart

Observer
I don't understand the difference between a truck gun and any other firearm. Does putting a gun in a truck need special requirements or special features? The entire conversation of a truck gun seems kind of silly to me. Other than physical size limitations what gun would not be ok to put in a truck or any other vehicle?

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
I don't understand the difference between a truck gun and any other firearm. Does putting a gun in a truck need special requirements or special features? The entire conversation of a truck gun seems kind of silly to me. Other than physical size limitations what gun would not be ok to put in a truck or any other vehicle?
Usually a "truck gun" is just the one you always grab and throw in your truck or leave it in the truck so it's always there in case you need it, just like any other tool.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Nope, got the right to keep any and all firearms I own in my vehicle and that's what I do,
not overly fond of 9mm's, my Luger and Browning hi-power are 9's and while nice shooting I wouldn't rely on them for much, my Sig 226 in .40 has 4 15 round mags and that's my carry gun, and in Nevada I can carry it locked, loaded and placed anywhere in my vehicle hidden or in plain view.
And your personal belief that leaving a gun in an unattended vehicle makes someone a "problem" is truly one of the most ignorant things I've read in some time!
You and people like you are the "problem" in this world, thinking that we can't leave a personal belonging in a personal belonging, why? Because it might get stolen? That makes the thief the problem not the gun owner!
That type of snowflake crap makes me feel like vomiting and leads to ignorant laws being written by ignorant people to make law abiding people criminals for simply exercising their 2nd amendment right!
You may think that way and mores the pity for you but that's just your opinion, keep it to yourself and don't spout garbage like that because it can and often does lead to other ignorant people taking crappy ideas like that and making them laws that only affect those of us who follow the laws and it usually always does nothing to reduce crime, it just makes snowflakes "feel better".

Ok boomer.

Clearly you haven’t trained with a reputable school nor have you read any recent data on the 9mm.

Very few state or federal agencies carry 40s anymore, and for one reason, they’re awful.

And if you leave a firearm unattended and unsecured in a vehicle, Yea, you’re a problem. Sure the criminal is wrong, but I’d argue you sir are more wrong for clear negligence.

Now should you be held responsible for what that criminal does with your gun? No. But you should feel like an ****** hat.

I bet you have a punisher sticker on your truck too.

Look, at the end of the day, you can’t deny data.

That data says, criminals get guns from cars. So don’t be a fool, CCW your tool.

Rifles rifles great, I have many, most SBRs with cans. But I’d never have one in the truck unless I could fold it up in a bag and take the bag with me.

shade

And if you leave a firearm unattended and unsecured in a vehicle, Yea, you’re a problem. Sure the criminal is wrong, but I’d argue you sir are more wrong for clear negligence.

Now should you be held responsible for what that criminal does with your gun? No. But you should feel like an ****** hat.
I have some dead friends that would agree.

robert

Expedition Leader
Ok boomer.

Clearly you haven’t trained with a reputable school nor have you read any recent data on the 9mm.

Very few state or federal agencies carry 40s anymore, and for one reason, they’re awful.

I bet you have a punisher sticker on your truck too.

Look, at the end of the day, you can’t deny data.

That data says, criminals get guns from cars. So don’t be a fool, CCW your tool.

Rifles rifles great, I have many, most SBRs with cans. But I’d never have one in the truck unless I could fold it up in a bag and take the bag with me.

Seriously dude, just stop. You're making yourself look like an even bigger ****************** with every post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles