What do you use for a truck gun?

Triplesnake

Adventurer
I too like the Sub2000. Small enough to fit in a duffel bag but enough firepower (and scary looks) to be useful in the back country if you are concerned about 2-legged threats. I frequently carry mine when camping down the beach in South TX where a run-in with illegals or smugglers is a possibility.

For those of you talking about the limitation of the the .223, if you didn't want to step up to a .308 which is a good bit larger rifle in an AR platform, you could also look at the 6.8SPC. I carry one as my truck gun during hunting season and find it to be quite effective on deer and hogs. Maybe not big enough to be ideal in brown bear country, but would be plenty everywhere else.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Cool! I just picked up a 590a1 myself. I was split between the 870 and 590; ultimately I favored the tang safety on the 590, but I've heard a lot of good feedback on both platforms.

Mossberg makes a great gun as well. If i had to get another shotgun for tactical purposes, it would be a Benelli Nova Tactical. If I wanted a really nice one, the M4 lol

zimm

Expedition Leader
I too like the Sub2000. Small enough to fit in a duffel bag but enough firepower (and scary looks) to be useful in the back country if you are concerned about 2-legged threats. I frequently carry mine when camping down the beach in South TX where a run-in with illegals or smugglers is a possibility.

For those of you talking about the limitation of the the .223, if you didn't want to step up to a .308 which is a good bit larger rifle in an AR platform, you could also look at the 6.8SPC. I carry one as my truck gun during hunting season and find it to be quite effective on deer and hogs. Maybe not big enough to be ideal in brown bear country, but would be plenty everywhere else.

i never shot a 6.8, mostly since i've committed to 300blk in the AR platform. but i notice that people that like the 6.8, love it.

the 110 vmax in 300blk punches above its weight class below 100 yards, mine has made better holes than a 30/30, but the BC is horrible for anything far out there. of course, "truck gun" to me says the intended use is primarily in pistol range.

kenny256

I take my ar coyote hunting quite a bit, so if I'm in the woods it's generally with me....

But my mossberg 590A1 does ride along quite a bit for a little bit of extra firepower.

If it's just general walk around the woods fun....my ruger 10/22. But I always have a glock on me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I've always preferred lever guns......specifically Model 94 Winchesters.
This is the one I usually keep behind the seats.......I acquired it a half-dozen years ago...... 20" barrel........ .32 Winchester Special........ made in 1947.
I think it spent most of it's life sitting in the back of a closet!

I'm with you. Something about a lever action just seems right especially as a truck gun. Picked up a new '94 Trails End Takedown in .38-55 this summer as a late graduation gift and plan to make it my designated Jeep gun on any sort of trip I take, tucked under the seat in a compact takedown case.

20160714_114822.jpg20160714_114805.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
Rossi 16" lever action 1892 SS 44 mag worked over by Steve's Gunz (3/4 big loop, worked over action, peep sight). Lots of options for the 44 mag rounds (and it holds a lot of rounds), and I figure probably short of an angry grizzly bear it'll knock down what it hits especially if you're within 100 yards or so. Fairly short at 34" long so easily maneuverable, and only about six pounds (empty). Plus it doesn't look "scary" to folks. It has a kick, but if I'm having to use it, I'm probably not going to notice.

Also have a Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 loaded with bear rounds for snuggling with when sleeping in bear country (and I have bear spray - lets not start up that gun vs. bear spray debate).

For a truck handgun - don't laugh - a High Point 9mm handgun. It is cheap, but it works, and not out much if it got stolen. Can't take handguns into Canada though.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader

Sadly, now that Ruger has the barrel issue more or less fixed on the Mini they are so overpriced that I can't see why anyone, outside of someone in a ban state, would buy one over an AR or other platform. Don't get me wrong, I really want one of the new Minis in 5.56 and one in 7.62x39 but at their price point it's just not going to happen. That's a shame too because like the Mini and the M1 Carbine, I love the way they feel and handle; add a sling and a forward red dot and they are very quick little guns.

Of course I still want an old school stainless Mini with a factory folder but that's my inner 80's kid coming out.

Last edited:

jon c

Supporting Sponsor: Magpul
16" Rhodesian FAL on an old Imbel receiver or my 14.5" Hodge Defense Mod 2 with a Surefire Suppressor and a Vortex Razor 1-6x. Depends on where I'm going as to which one goes in the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles