What do you think of this Tundra and the price?

wilderness

Adventurer
Please scroll down to post #11 for my most recent question on another tundra.

Attachments

• tundra1.jpg
    tundra1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 35
  • tundra2.jpg
    tundra2.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 32
  • tundra3.jpg
    tundra3.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 32
  • tundra4.jpg
    tundra4.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 34
  • tundra5.jpg
    tundra5.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 32
  • tundra6.jpg
    tundra6.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Tundra7.jpg
    Tundra7.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 31
  • Tundra8.jpg
    Tundra8.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Tundra9.jpg
    Tundra9.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Tundra11.jpg
    Tundra11.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

wilderness

Adventurer
Tundra22.jpgTundra23.jpgTundra23.jpgTundra25.jpgTundra26.jpg

I found it on craigslist. Here is the description.

2005 toyota tundra
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
This truck has been loved and improved upon by three owners (myself being the last of these). I have all repair/maintenance/upgrade receipts since day one. The car is rust free and never in an accident. Seats and interior like new. Is in excellent mechanical condition. In case you are not aware, this truck has the rear window roll down feature that with the sunroof, windows down, and back window open/down, you feel like you're in a convertible. The Limited trim gives it the heated leather, leather steering wheel, sunroof, roof/console info, rear entertainment package and more. Major options are a limited slip differential and tow package. Legendary I-Force multi-valve 4.7 V-8.

Brief history of owners and maintenance/upgrades performed by them. First, I've talked with or met both owners previous to me. They have assured me the truck was never "off roaded" on rocky trails or the surf/sand of OBX. Truck speaks for itself, but nice to get the confirmation from these men who both appeared to be successful, mature and responsible users of the truck.
Car purchased from Richmond McGeorge Toyota on July 2, 2005. Person buying kept car in his garage for the nine years that he owned it (selling in 2014 to second owner). Maintenance documentation from this owner shows first oil change at 1296 miles. Subsequent oil changes documented about every 5000k miles. Other major service includes several full fluid changes and transmission service, tune-ups, lower ball joints replaced under recall, and his last major service on 9/13 at 169, 131 miles (including full fluid service and timing belt replaced).

Second owner (also in Richmond) is friend with first owner and purchased directly from first owner in late 2014. No major service work done by this owner, just oil changes. He did however have a $1722 ready lift leveling kit (2.5") and new larger tires which have more than half their life still. He also completely changed out the stereo system installing all new speakers, a new Alpine head unit (bt/usb), and rear auxiliary amplifier. System sounds great, although I have no receipt for this work (I only know what he told me which is that he spent over $1000 in this project).

I am the third owner purchasing the vehicle in December 2016. I had the front airbags replaced under warranty and twice had all fluids changed out with the transmission being serviced on one of those occasions. I purchased the vehicle with the intention of using it to pull a 18 RV. To further equip the truck for this purpose I had installed a rear back up camera with new rear view mirror/monitor in Aug 17 ($579). I also had a new heavy duty leaf spring put into the rear springs to increase buoyancy in the rear with a load on the hitch ($157). I had the radiator and hoses replaced in Aug as well ($500). I have all receipts for these items as well as the maintenance list above. The last upgrade I did was the most expensive. While camping, I wanted my two dogs to enjoy the bed safely so I purchased a new Century color match camper top with several options added by the manufacturer. I had the Thule locking racks installed (to carry my kayak), had front window removal option (which allows for free flow/movement from cab of truck to bed), and lastly added the dog proof protectors that keeps the pooches from sticking their heads through the screens. The camper top is well made, has bed light, and double locking back window latches. (total cost $2162.81)

I have decided to go from a tag along camper to a motorhome which makes the truck unnecessary for me at this time.

Ok, so I can't say enough good stuff about this truck. Mileage (234000) is reasonable for a truck that is going on 13 years old. The reality with these trucks is that they will go seemingly forever if (big if) the maintenance has been performed as required by Toyota and there are no rust issues. Got you covered. The only other considered negative is a slight repair done to rear driver panel when bumper was hit in a parking lot. Bumper/panel look fine, but close examination shows paint in that area has worn slightly differently from the original gel coat (see pic).

Truck has been detailed with less than 500miles on last oil change (did not steam clean engine, see it as it is). No lights on, emissions done 1/17, inspection good to 11/18. There are no outstanding recalls. You are going to love this truck. You can test out the four wheel drive in my nine acre grassy/hilly back yard (as well as drive down the road as you wish).

A note about price. This vehicle on NADA is retail at 13,950 (with mileage figured in). If you bought this from a dealer, you'd get no information re: previous owners, no documentation of maintenance (except some sketchy stuff from a car research program), You'd also pay a "processing fee" which is approaching $1000 with some dealers. They would offer no warranty (for free) and you wouldn't even know when your timing belt was done (a costly error). In addition, all the upgrades mentioned would not be figured into the NADA retail. This truck is a great deal. You will not find anything to beat it. Price of 12k is FIRM.

Please email/phone using reply button. I prefer not to text but will if you insist. If you are a scammer/professional buy/sell guy, just leave me alone. Jim

key words: truck, pick-up, 4wd, awd, double cab, limited, camper top, lifted, tow package,

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Very clean truck. But being in VA, it could be either hit or miss for frame rust. Definitely poke around underneath with a screw driver.

Price seems about right given its a double cab limited. If it has been maintained properly, the 4.7 still has a lot of life in her.

You might be able to get a better deal with lower miles if you find one that is not a limited. But if you wanted a cab height topper with a roof rack, then this saves you some headache tracking one down later.

When I was in the market for an 05/06 Tundra, I noticed there was 5 good double cabs for every 1 access cab. They cranked out a lot.

akampster

I picked up an 06 dc with just shy of 70k for 9000. Some definite hail damage though. I really like the truck. Wish it looked better but it was only 9k.

kmcintyre

Observer
Lots of miles on it. Not sure I'd do it but depending on what you are going to do with it, might be ok. I'm not sure I'd do a 4000 mile road trip into Baja or Mexico though.

Clutch

<---Pass
Shouldn't it have had the diff drop kit installed since it has a 2.5 inch leveling kit?

Depends on who you ask...some guys say no, since at full droop it amplifies the stress on the CV's and boots. However I think they do, since the truck spends most of its' life compressed into the suspension than at full droop.

Price seems high to me...offer him $8K and see if he has a brain hemorrhage...I always jack the price up of whatever I am selling, because people always want to haggle, and I tend to get more for it than I wanted...so it all works out....the buyer thinks they got a good deal, and I got what I wanted out of it. Last Toyota I sold, got $2000 more than I would of parted with...but I wasn't going to argue with the guy. :D

Miles are a tad high to me....sure it is Toyota or whatever...lots of little crap starts to go wrong at that mileage.

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
The price will vary depending on where you live. In WA I could not find a DC Tundra for anything less than 14K, and none of them were in as good of shape as this one. The miles were lower yes, but this truck seems to be very well maintained. In other areas people have been able to get a nice DC for much cheaper than what I did, but there wasn't anything within 8 hours driving distance that I could find that was less than 13-14K.

It's a nice truck, miles are high. Try offering a bit less due to that. Like Clutch said, there are a lot of little things that will begin to go bad eventually. Wheel bearings, drive line components, differentials, etc.

wilderness

Adventurer
These pictures are from a 2012 Tundra at a dealer from a rust state. The undercarriage looks too clean to be original. Does this look like proper undercoating or just painted over to try to hide rust like some dealers do? Look at the driveshaft too.C30F3CC0-40E2-46E5-8A2C-A31E77271FB3.jpeg09168A60-9A65-491C-9A11-1AAD54BE3514.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles