What do you think about this non-street legal “Jeep” clone?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
You can buy a restored original street legal CJ2 for the same money.
But it might be cool at the golf course.... if they let it on.
I'd rather have a brand new turbo diesel(no emissions) 5spd manual than the old one I think.

I dunno. It's like a Samurai just not as good as one, because it's not street legal. You can get a nice Sammy for $4-5k and have $15k left to spend on other toys.

Reality Check - it is a leaf sprung, solid axled, diesel powered pig - with a 5-speed manual transmission. Who in the USA is going to pick that over a normal zippy, comfy, reliable side-by-side? I'm not seeing it.
I've seen side by sides that seemed to be street legal in CO. Must be a way to make it legal.

dreadlocks

There's some places in CO that permit OHV usage on their roads, like Pitkin.. but they are few and far apart, vast majority of BLM land they are strictly limited to trails with proper permit/registration.. there is no way to license em or make em legal on roads that dont permit OHV usage without a VIN and license plate.

Almost all full size vehicle trails in Colorado are legal roads, and by default dont permit OHV unless otherwise posted.. I wanna be able to unload my wheeler, and drive it out of base camp to anywhere I desire without worrying about breaking any rules.. and not just in Colorado, Ive got a whole continent to play on.. thats the point of trailering it, Driving a minimalistic Jeep across the country is something for younger men to do.. and I'd rather go trash a $5k super light toy against the rocks than a $45k heavy ass truck.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've seen side by sides that seemed to be street legal in CO. Must be a way to make it legal.

Colorado is left up to the local jurisdiction (county by county) and only on certain roads.

Arizona has a statewide licensing system for OHVs that allows them on the road after they meet certain requirements, but I think that is the only state.

dreadlocks

I think AZ's situation is a consequence of being a retirement state, I recall Florida has similar laws and they were all put in place so they could drive golf carts on the streets, but cover most OHV's as well since they are same class of light vehicle.. vast majority of the country it seems OHV's mostly forbidden from legal roads.

jkam

nomadic man
I was in Vegas some years ago and Mahindra was testing their pickup to import to the US.
It was a small cheap diesel powered truck that looked like it would have a decent amount of sales.
I knew a few guys that worked at the place doing the testing. They had all kinds of problems with them,
things that were not going to allow it to pass US emissions or safety standards for road use.
mahindra_truck_580.jpg

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Colorado is left up to the local jurisdiction (county by county) and only on certain roads.

Arizona has a statewide licensing system for OHVs that allows them on the road after they meet certain requirements, but I think that is the only state.

I believe Montana has the same law, ATV's included. You need a rear view mirror, horn, and headlights and brake/tail lights, as well as a license plate (vs just a sticker if it is intended for off-road use only)

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I believe Montana has the same law, ATV's included. You need a rear view mirror, horn, and headlights and brake/tail lights, as well as a license plate (vs just a sticker if it is intended for off-road use only)

It seems to me that we’ve been in a few rural communities in Idaho where the ATV’s were permitted to drive on the public thorofares too

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Or, maybe this one instead?
(Cheaper version of it isn’t street legal either]
DD6567D9-E97B-4101-94FC-090EFC539394.jpeg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
a Mahindra for $15k or a Scuderia for....“asking price of these things will be in the quarter-mil neighborhood.”

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
From someone who survived a terrible rear collision,I'd steer clear of a non-DOT approved vehicle.
Fifteen yrs later I look in the rear view mirror everytime I stop.

billiebob

ha ha ha ha
The reason it is not street legal is,,
emissions
air bags
crash testing
EPA, CARB, NHTSA, Marketing, Dealerships, Service, Warranty.....

It is not street legal because the market is limited and the investment is endless.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You can license and legally drive the Mahindra on the street in Tennessee as a "Medium Speed Vehicle" just as you can the Polaris and other side by sides.

Check with your states rules concerning low speed or medium speed vehicles to see if you to can license one of these vehicles for the street.

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
I agree with those that say it's cool, but not practical. I'd rather buy a $5000 Jeep TJ or YJ. I can drive it on the street and trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles