What do you think about this non-street legal “Jeep” clone?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Slow day, kinda bored....I’m gonna have to try to liven things up a bit here.

So, What do you think about this little Indian “Jeep”?
Other than it’s not street legal, seems like it could be something fun.

084239C2-C1E8-46F5-B887-CD018CAEED7E.jpeg

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Cool rigs, I saw lots of them in Moab for rent a few months back. Good alternative to a traditional side x side...at least that's where I see them in the marketplace.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I dunno. It's like a Samurai just not as good as one, because it's not street legal. You can get a nice Sammy for $4-5k and have $15k left to spend on other toys.

Reality Check - it is a leaf sprung, solid axled, diesel powered pig - with a 5-speed manual transmission. Who in the USA is going to pick that over a normal zippy, comfy, reliable side-by-side? I'm not seeing it.

dreadlocks

Good luck finding an Iltis.

Found a guy in canada willing to help me import his fairly easy.. for about $5k USD + import fees.. he gave me all the dimensions, it'd fit in my intech toy hauler but I'd have to ride with the fridge in and alot of the other gear inside the vehicle with as little floor space as I'd have left.. I'm having a hard time not justifying this stupid purchase heh, especially since I have a TDI engine on a stand in my garage that would bolt right up to it with about a weekends worth of effort.

Scott Brady

Founder
I dunno. It's like a Samurai just not as good as one, because it's not street legal. You can get a nice Sammy for $4-5k and have $15k left to spend on other toys.

Reality Check - it is a leaf sprung, solid axled, diesel powered pig - with a 5-speed manual transmission. Who in the USA is going to pick that over a normal zippy, comfy, reliable side-by-side? I'm not seeing it.
They have been fairly popular her in Arizona. I know a few ranchers that use them, and they can be plated for street use in AZ too. I think the ranchers like the classic styling and the diesel engine.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Kinda neat. Up here they are around 25K. You could spend a lot less on a small highway legal vehicle you could still take on trails. CJ5, Samurai, Tracker.....

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
They have been fairly popular her in Arizona. I know a few ranchers that use them, and they can be plated for street use in AZ too. I think the ranchers like the classic styling and the diesel engine.
Interesting. For sure solid axles can be better suited for real work, but most farmers/ranchers I know use the Kubota RTV or John Deere Gator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94