What do you really NEED for overlanding

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I will do my best to get you some photos, I will canvass my former co workers. I can recreate it if need be, I have many 4x4 friends that I know winch backwards.

Thanks. Don't go to too much trouble, your description helps visualize the setup a lot.

I'm always a fan of simple and effective solution to problems. Given enough time and any mechanical way possible I'll try stuff like that. I think the roadblock to why I haven't seen it is modern production 4x4s cram a lot of stuff in that vertical space, it would be really hard to find a clean path out the rear. With the right hardware though, it might not be impossible.

s.e.charles

the undertone to my question(s) was: is it a practical solution which everyone is apparently overlooking?

rear roller bumpers could be the next BIG thing!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks. Don't go to too much trouble, your description helps visualize the setup a lot.

I'm always a fan of simple and effective solution to problems. Given enough time and any mechanical way possible I'll try stuff like that. I think the roadblock to why I haven't seen it is modern production 4x4s cram a lot of stuff in that vertical space, it would be really hard to find a clean path out the rear. With the right hardware though, it might not be impossible.
Bob (Tennmogger) had this set-up on his U1300L Unimog with its hydraulic winch. It was purpose built to go backwards. He said it was a PITA to actually run the line underneath but, when necessary, it worked well.

Better than this:

Bruce Elfstrom explained the 3 pulley reverse winch method to me at Overland Expo 2010 and it made my brain hurt. I'm thankful that I've never needed to do it....

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
As for the maxtrax...
Maxtrax and a couple other premium name brands are undoubtedly good but they are also pretty darn expensive. Most of the inexpensive boards are total junk and are prone to shattering and melting from friction during the first use. An inexpensive option I found (unfortunately right after buying my Liteway/Litefox boards) that might be a good buy are the Maxsa Escaper Buddy/Rustik Escape Buddy boards. Cartoonish names and probably Chinese manufactured but the reviews posted by people that have actually used them are shockingly very positive. At least they were a couple of years ago.

Just had to comment on this one. First off I love my Maxtrax. They’ve gotten me out of countless jams. But, one of the absolute worst was in a snowfield in Iceland in very cold weather. We didn’t have Maxtrax. Or a winch. Or a PullPall. Or a brain apparently. All we had was floor mats and NorthFace duffles. It worked. It wasn’t pretty. And I was glad to get out of there. But it worked. Here’s a pic. If you look close enough you can see just how dumb we were ?. Anyhow. Cheers.

Sent from my
185cf3613871bc6216e1caa03b5967c9.jpg
iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eric_

Wow this thread really took on a life of its own lol..
I appreciate all the replies! and apologize for the lack on my end. My work schedule has been crazy!

So, for now, I decided on a few things. I bought a set of ******** Cepek 255/75/R16 tires, they had a great sale and I think tires make the biggest difference. I will also be buying a shell it'll allow me to store things in the bed more comfortably (including the dog). I will also be buying some recovery gear and first aid, I think with this Ill be ok for some good trips and have some peace of mind.

Berserker

-basic first aid things..

It's not enough to just have "basic first aid things." You need to learn how to administer that first aid. If your girlfriend gets a nasty snake bite you don't want to be flipping through the first aid pamphlet that came with your kit trying to figure out what to do.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Eric_

-basic first aid things..

It's not enough to just have "basic first aid things." You need to learn how to administer that first aid. If your girlfriend gets a nasty snake bite you don't want to be flipping through the first aid pamphlet that came with your kit trying to figure out what to do.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Definitely! I work at an emergency room and worked at a fire department prior to that so thankfully I’m covered when it comes to emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgallant

Adventurer
Well late to the party - but make sure some one reliable knows your general route and when you will be back. If you plan to make a big deviation have a plan for letting that person know.

I go 200 to 300 Km up miserable crappy FSR's for 4 or 5 days at least once a year. My wife always knows my route, and whenever I return to pavement for gas I touch base.

I have a 3 day supply of freeze dried food, candles, water, a handle held VHF radio plus some misc extra's in my walk out box, and of course a pack to carry it in. I have never used it but it is there in case the world goes south.

And although it may sound obvious, good solid walking boots. I have collected broken down people who's only foot wear was flip flops twice now, both times a good 6 to 10K up rocky rough side FSR's.

D

Deleted member 9101

Just remember the bigger your lift and the bigger your tires all equate to getting much more stuck.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
The list of things I take is massive but the most important thing is just pre-planning the trip. Knowing ahead of time that the trail you're on has a massive washout, and what route is needed to bypass it may keep you out of a winchable situation and on graded quality roads in the first place.

The surprising must have thing that always carry now is an Inreach SE satellite communicator. I still tell people where I'm going and carry extensive maps and everything. But having an emergency rescue button for worst case scenarios and the ability to text a friend for a rescue when a breakdown is not requiring emergency services provides massive peace of mind that releases a lot of stress that you didn't know you're traveling with.

Even if you tell people where you are going rescue may be weeks away if you weren't expected to be home for a while anyway. Add to that the time to locate you along your huge cross state overland route. If you're in badly injured you may only have a few days to survive.
I recently read a story about a woman who told her hotel she expected to be back by evening but the message was lost when the guy went off shift and she spent 6 days in the wilderness with a broken leg. Rescue didn't come untill she didn't show up at work after her vacation was supposed to be over, nobody even knew she was missing before that. And I know my work wouldn't care to call search and rescue on me, after 2 days missing they'd just fire me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94