What do you put in your center console?

Switch

Observer
I'm working on organizing the center console on my new 2022 Toyota Tacoma and I'm curious what stuff other people put in their center console.

On my old Tacoma I used 4 Plano 23500-00 Size Stowaway boxes to organize stuff in my center console:
Toiletry kit: Comb, toothpaste, toothbrush, toothpicks, shampoo, soap, floss, bar soap, Q-tips™, eye drops, and ear plugs.
Breakfast: Coffee (Starbucks Via), sugar, honey, jam, salt, pepper etc.
Lunch: Salt, Pepper, Mayo, Mustard, Catsup, Tapatio, Parmesan cheese, Wine Opener, pocket knife, Utensils, & oyster shucker
Some extra/misc. stuff: Spare flashlight, various glues, zip ties, lighters, spare batteries, and Croakies.
I also added a Grid-It to the underside of the console lid: pen, sharpie, earbuds, lighter, comb, mosquito repellent, lip balm, & pocket knife.

I'm switching to Husky 6x6 containers on my 2022 Tacoma because the Plano boxes don't fit.

I am also developing a hidden storage tray that fits the Tacoma console: lid.
1679166606247.png
1679166635948.png

There isn't enough space for a Grid-It, so I'm making custom mounts on the bottom side of the tray.
1679192544294.png

There is very little room so I want to use the space wisely. What would you add below the console lid?

[Edit]
My wife says lip balm, so I'm working on that.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Breakfast/Lunch stuff I'd keep in a real seat pocket or in a box/bag in the back seat area.

I keep extra magazines, ear pro, flashlight , headlamp, extra batteries, corkscrew, eyeglass cleaning kit, fuses, extra glasses, hand cream, multitool, OTC meds, snacks and other stuff .

I like these bags for organizing.

86scotty

Cynic
I have no idea about the size of a Tacoma center console but in my Tundra the huge console is great for camera/camera gear. We keep it under the tray which holds all the other kind of stuff already mentioned.

We have found over the years that 95% of pictures are getting taken by our phones but I still like to travel with a good DSLR and having it hidden but quickly accessible by either front seat is ideal.

I've done this in my former Tundra and currently in a Jeep JLU which has a surprisingly deep and large center console.

jgaz

Adventurer
I also added a “grid it“ panel under the lid of the console in my 2017 Ram.
Used mostly for things I need to access quickly.

Carabiner to clip my dog’s harness to the shoulder belt.
Wrenches to adjust and/or install attachments to my cargo rails in the bed.
The rest are pretty self explanatory
EF90B42F-7FF6-43A5-9BE9-1C026E169ADB.jpeg

86scotty

Cynic
I also added a “grid it“ panel under the lid of the console in my 2017 Ram.
Used mostly for things I need to access quickly.

Carabiner to clip my dog’s harness to the shoulder belt.
Wrenches to adjust and/or install attachments to my cargo rails in the bed.
The rest are pretty self explanatory
View attachment 769968

I have lots of these GridIt things. It's one of the unsung overland heroes on Amazon IMO. There are a few of these products in my head and I should compile a list. They are infinitely useful and cheap, kind of like my wife thinks of me I guess.

dstefan

I have no idea about the size of a Tacoma center console but in my Tundra the huge console is great for camera/camera gear. We keep it under the tray which holds all the other kind of stuff already mentioned.

We have found over the years that 95% of pictures are getting taken by our phones but I still like to travel with a good DSLR and having it hidden but quickly accessible by either front seat is ideal.

I've done this in my former Tundra and currently in a Jeep JLU which has a surprisingly deep and large center console.
As a photographer with a disorganized Tundra console, I’d be interested in how you set up your DLSR storage. Any pictures of that?

This thread is a good topic!

ITTOG

The only thing that is added to my console for trips is my pistol. Otherwise it is everyday items like charge cords, change, gum, pens, Kleenex box, flashlight, club cards, discount cards, fixed blade knife, folding knife, sun glasses.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
As a photographer with a disorganized Tundra console, I’d be interested in how you set up your DLSR storage. Any pictures of that?

This thread is a good topic!

Well, it wasn't anything super organized, just had camera and several lenses in bags sitting in the very bottom of the console with the tray above.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
FJ60 Center Console-
(1) ATC Orange Dopp Kit: Tire Deflaters, ARB Tire Gauge, ARB Deflater
(1) ATC Red Dopp Kit: Warn 8274 Winch Control
(1) ATC Green Dopp Kit: Acc Cords for Iphone, uhf radio cords, flashlight cords, misc.
(1) ATC Tool Pouch: Vehicle paperwork, pen, sharpie, notepad.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Hard or Soft shackle(s) that fit your recovery points, AND the winch remote if you have one, to be easily accessible by the driver/passenger without having to get out of their seatbelts.

jbaucom

I have a Rubbermaid organizer that fits perfectly in the bottom of my F150 console, and it keeps things separated so that it isn't a jumbled up mess. I keep my winch remote in the front left corner so that it's readily accessible. Otherwise I keep spare chap stick, hand lotion, a multibit screwdriver, multitool, gift cards, assorted charging cables, pens, markers, tire pressure gauge, gloves, boxcutter, safety glasses, flashlight, Bic lighter, tissues, and my tire deflators.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
In the center console I have a flashlight / seat belt cutter / window breaking tool:

1679588761399.png

Lug nut key, back roads map book, kleenex, spare change, note pad & pens, small 1st aid kit, work gloves, charge cord, swiffer sweeper (I like to keep the interior clean, lol) pony tails & tampons. I'm a husband and dad to two daughters, what do you want?

In the storage compartment under the rear seat I a have tow strap, receiver shackle, jug of washer fluid, tie down straps, misc bungee cords, hitch pin and break away pin for the trailer, TP, larger 1st aid kit and booster cables.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles