What do you monitor with your Scangauge2?

outback97

Adventurer
I'm jealous of those that are able to monitor auto trans temp. Mine doesn't do that on our Nissan. I haven't found it to be all that useful, but I do use it for monitoring fuel and I like that it could be used as a scanner so I don't have to bother keeping a separate scan gauge on hand.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I'm jealous of those that are able to monitor auto trans temp. Mine doesn't do that on our Nissan. I haven't found it to be all that useful, but I do use it for monitoring fuel and I like that it could be used as a scanner so I don't have to bother keeping a separate scan gauge on hand.

I bought it to monitor tanny temp on our Traverse, but haven't verified that it will yet. So far I've been playing with it on my 03 Ram 1500. One thing I've found on the truck, it shows a couple of codes but when I try to clear the codes it thinks for a minute and reports 'no response.' Maybe a setup issue? Haven't had time to look into it.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Isint there an iPad app you can buy that plugs into your scanguage that allows you to monitor everything on the iPad screen with charts and graphs and all that? I might be getting it confused with another product...

I've seen smartphone apps that turn your phone into a code reader, but haven't seen one interface with the Scangauge. However, that's something I could easily overlook since it's not something I want.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I would love to monitor trans temps but I haven't found a way to.

Voltage - which I found is almost 1v off compared to my two DMMs.
Intake Air temp
Water temp
Load

bunce1260

Observer
With regard to phone apps, I use the paid version of torque. Its great, you can setup dashboards with all sorts of guages. The only downside is its on your phone. Im thinking about buying an old android phone and just using it for a dash screen.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
What does load give you that tranny temp / water temp doesn't?

Why intake temp? I can see as diagnostic, but not consistently.

Thanks,

Load is similar to an old style vacuum gauge. Let you know how hard the engine is working. I use it to tell me when to down shift for my best mileage and power up the hills.

Intake temp give me an idea on outside temperature. With a snorkel intake temps run about 10° higher than outside ambient temps. Also gives you an idea when sitting on how much heat soak you are taking on sitting.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Load is similar to an old style vacuum gauge. Let you know how hard the engine is working. I use it to tell me when to down shift for my best mileage and power up the hills.

Intake temp give me an idea on outside temperature. With a snorkel intake temps run about 10° higher than outside ambient temps. Also gives you an idea when sitting on how much heat soak you are taking on sitting.

Thanks for furthering my education. I knew what load was, just couldn't really see a use for it.

Shifting on load may be something for me to investigate, since on the Traverse I can't exactly 'hear' the engine loading.

If you have time for another question: what are your shift points, and how were they determined?

TIA

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Thanks for furthering my education. I knew what load was, just couldn't really see a use for it.

Shifting on load may be something for me to investigate, since on the Traverse I can't exactly 'hear' the engine loading.

If you have time for another question: what are your shift points, and how were they determined?

TIA

They were determined after 1000's of miles mostly by engine water temp and GPH's. To me high RPM's pulling hills are fine as long as your motor is running cool and using the lowest GPH.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
They were determined after 1000's of miles mostly by engine water temp and GPH's. To me high RPM's pulling hills are fine as long as your motor is running cool and using the lowest GPH.

Makes perfect sense now.

For me I guess, having not towed with this particular vehicle, engine / tranny temps and GPH are the starting points.

At least until I determine that the 'tow' button is properly adjusting the shift points.

Thanks again!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
With regard to phone apps, I use the paid version of torque. Its great, you can setup dashboards with all sorts of guages. The only downside is its on your phone. Im thinking about buying an old android phone and just using it for a dash screen.

I've heard of that one...but it only works with Androids. I wish there was something that I could plug in and see it on my iPad. Similar to the Torque app but on an iPad.

What is the benefit of getting the ScanGaugeII compared to using an app like http://torque-bhp.com/ (android) or Dashcommand https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8 (apple)?

I want the classic look of the ScanGaugeII but if I can get the same thing on my iPad for $9.99 then it might be worth it.

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
I've heard of that one...but it only works with Androids. I wish there was something that I could plug in and see it on my iPad. Similar to the Torque app but on an iPad.

What is the benefit of getting the ScanGaugeII compared to using an app like http://torque-bhp.com/ (android) or Dashcommand https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8 (apple)?

I want the classic look of the ScanGaugeII but if I can get the same thing on my iPad for $9.99 then it might be worth it.

I use DashCommand on my iPhone, so I assume it will work on an iPad. I forget which OBDII device/wifi-transmitter I have. I don't use it very often, but it has reams of information when I do plug it in and set it up.

Taco2FJ

Observer
Instant MPG (I think it really helps change your driving style for overall better fuel economy)
Average MPG
Torque converter temp
Air/Fuel Mix or engine load (depending if I get tired of looking at generally the same numbers)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier