What do you know about a 89 Honda TransAlp?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I have liked the looks of these bikes for a long time, and the Honda name is certainly a good 'un. I have found one for sale with relatively low miles (~ 25K) It is the goldish color, runs well, and I am seriously considering it. The problem is he is asking $3,900.00 and says he wont budge - even though the ad for the bike is almost ten months old! Is that a reasonable sum to pay for one of these? It shares many parts with other Hondas, but for that money I can a much newer, FI'ed bike. Is it worth it?

Thoughts?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have a '89 Transalp w/ 33k I will let go for $3000. Great bike with excellent mileage(62 mpg last tank). Need nothing fly in and ride home. PM me if interested

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I'd love to have a TransAlp. It's somewhere on my list of the "50 Additional Bikes I'd Like to Own".

As usual, ADVRider is a great resource. This thread will get you started. Also run a search for "TransAlp" in their classified section and you'll see what they've been selling for over the past 4-5 years.

I love mine. $3900 seems a bit steep--I guess that's why it's not moving. Last summer one showed up in a "Tucson Shopper" for $1000...new tires, chain & sprocket, Corbin seat, 2200 miles, and never dropped! I called immediately--it was so long gone. Deals like that are rare, but do happen. 2 to 3 grand is more common. Good luck.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Email sent

The African Twin is an excellent ride and would have been my choice over my Dakar if I could of found one but if and when you go down it makes the Dakar look cheap.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Email replied to!

Were those Africa Twins ever sold stateside? That is one cool looking bike! Specs seems awesome too.
:26_7_2:

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Trans Alp

Schattenjager said:
Is it worth it?

TA's were only brought into the US for a couple of years and sat in the dealers show room so it took a couple of more to clear the inventory. When American's finally began noticing adventure tourers they realized the TA was a great bike and started snapping them up.

Like LR Defenders scarcity drives up the price, so unless you really want a TA, for $4K there are newer and more advance bikes.

Don't be seduced by low mileage, if the bike has sat or has seen little use for several years it could turn out to be a maintenance nightmare. I'd rather have a 20 year old bike that was maintained and used 3-4000 miles a year than a low mileage example that has been sitting, since most likely it wasn't properly stored.

Here is a nice summary on 'barn finds'

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_200603_SS

Jim

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
There are a number of rumors of the 2009/2010 Honda Transalp and Veradero being made available to the Canadian market. Apparently Honda Canada is doing the work without the help of Honda USA and it will be exclusive for Canada (sorry USA, this one is going to be like the Smart car and the Mercedes B class).

It's been talked about on AdvRider.com and one of my co-workers also got a confirmation from a Honda rep at a recent bike show.

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles