What Do You Dislike About Your JK

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I have a few thoughts after owning my JK for a while. Jeep no longer sends me surveys, which they did quite regularly for the first six months, but I feel I could better respond now. So, I thought I would ask other forum JK owners what they would change in the next model of Jeep utility. I'm not asking what you all want, that's been talked about a ton of times, just what you dislike about your JK Wrangler that has not been addressed in it's years of production. I actually have two nagging issues. I love it overall but they are;

1. The door handles. Jeep had a good design from the mid production CJ7 through the TJ Jeeps. There is a reason for paddle handles and that is mud. I can't drive down a muddy road in my JK without making a mess out of the protruding exterior door handles. Chrysler needs to either change the door handles or install an interior hand wash station.

2. Make the automatic transmission work in four low. I occasionally get my Jeep in precarious spots. I don't really need the added drama of wondering if the dang thing will go into reverse or drive when I'm in a tight spot. This is a common problem, and engineering has to know it exists, yet we haven't heard a peep!

P.S. I would be thrilled if the Jeep engineering actually viewed this thread and took it to heart. Naw, that won't happen! Back to reality....................

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
Reverse on the manual needs to be lower. I really dislike backing up an incline in 2hi, particularly with my trailer attached. I dislike it enough that I am looking for ways to be able to have a 2lo option on my Jeep. So far, I've found that either an Atlas transfer case or a new front axle with manual hubs seems to be my only options.

I don't like the black interior color. It shows massive amounts of dirt.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy.

tunar

The soft top rear window is awkward and annoying to open when using the tailgate. The fact that I only have an opening the size of the tailgate unless I unzip 2 awkward zips. In cold weather it can really hurt your hands, at all other times it just gets your hands filthy. It needs to be attached in a much better way that can be opened easily once the tailgate is open, kind of like the hard top's rear window.

Bolts are a completely random mix between metric and standard. It makes working on the Jeep a real pain, especially when you find a bolt that is metric and the nut on the other side is standard. On this topic I always want to express my distaste for torx bolts all over it.

The Unlimited's lack of front rollcage and use of the body's b-pillar as part of that "cage". I've since put in a PS sports cage, but I feel like it really deserves a full Genright cage replacement.

The headlights are atrociously dim.

Fortunately a lot of shortfalls of Jeeps are easy to change :)

sickchilly

Observer
I had a 2007 2-door Sahara and a 2007 4-door Rubicon. Got rid of mine because of the poor towing capacity, poor gas mileage, and poor power. Also the Rubicon drank oil like mad. Now both of those had the 3.8 which is best used as a boat anchor, IMO. Replaced with a 2010 Grand Cherokee S-Limited. Didn't get any better mileage, but the Hemi has gobs of power and I can tow 7200 lbs. uphill at highway speeds all day long. It's already lifted with Rubi take-off wheels and MT tires. Got a bumper, winch, rock rails and other misc. gear to outfit it soon.

Jurfie

Adventurer
I hope this thread doesn't turn into fodder for the haters.

1. Agree on the door handles. My wife has actually developed pain in her thumb from opening the doors.
2. Agree on the headlights. Garbage.
3. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, ever: no diesel option in NA. ;)
4. Lack of payload/towing capacity (especially 2-door).
5. A 6-piece top that can be removed by one person and stored flat.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I hated lots of things about my '13 Sport, but so far I love my '15 Rubicon. The Rubicon seems better built in every way. My Sport had 3 water pumps replaced in less than a year. It had a transmission issue. The brake pedal squeaked. I wish the Hardtop was at least a 4 or 5 piece top to make it easier to remove.

siebermd

Adventurer
I hope this thread doesn't turn into fodder for the haters.

1. Agree on the door handles. My wife has actually developed pain in her thumb from opening the doors.
2. Agree on the headlights. Garbage.
3. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, ever: no diesel option in NA. ;)
4. Lack of payload/towing capacity (especially 2-door).
5. A 6-piece top that can be removed by one person and stored flat.

"A 6-piece top that can be removed by one person and stored flat".... THAT is a great idea!! So much design concept could be put into tops. I'm glad Bestop is finally taking a shot at something different. Why do companies avoid this potentially hot market!? I think the massive amount of Leak complaints keep companies (including Mopar) from venturing down this path. I would love to see some new and innovative top ideas.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
What I dislike about my JK is the inferiorty complex of other brand owners coming in this forum and crapping on jeeps all the time. That's about it!:wings:

JDaPP

Adventurer
I would like better noise insulation at the pillars/door. I never had this issue in my TJ but the way the door meets the body either creates gaps or just isn't insulated enough to stop the loud wind noise at the upper door corner and next to the b pillar. I use this thing as a traveling/camping vehicle so going down the interstate has become my wife's justification to hate it and my dread of long trips.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: No complaints and I get good mileage/w good power and have no towing trouble-

The JKU makes all the difference in the world for family exploring/camping/treks-

To make any jeep personally comfortable--YOU SHOULD MAKE CHANGES-and not expect the factory supply-

Changes in tire size/diff. gearing/vehicle height/hardtop insulation/roll cage completeness-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

SamM

Adventurer
Not sure why anyone would want more than 300hp in a Jeep JK. Mine does just fine with that but it's a 2-door. Locking hubs should be standard and would help with mileage. The added capability would also be useful. The JK soft top is much better than anything offered for the older models but I hate mine. It doesn't seal properly. I'll soon be switching to a hard top.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my Jeep.

SamM

nothing

to me it is the funnest car i have ever owned. I had vipes and vets and all sorts of 4x4 but when i climb into my cab everything is just fine like an old friend

Coby65

Observer
I have owned 53' and 64' CJ3b, 73' CJ5, 74' CJ6, 89' YJ, 99' Cherokee, and I currently have a 05' Rubicon unlimited on 35's with RE long arms.
Two months ago we purchased a 2015 JKU Rubicon hard rock for my wife and love it other than....
After 5 inches of rain in 24 hrs the driver and pass floors were wet....going in to the dealer next week
Nav radio does not dim at night
Dog does not like the "trench gap" when the seat is folded down
Other than that this thing is a Cadillac compared to all the previous jeeps. Leather, heated seats, auto temp control, power windows, and all the other modern stuff.
Is there wind noise? Yes it's a jeep with a removable top!
Did the top/doors leak? A lot less than my previous jeeps.
Headlamps??? I do not understand this because my 05 and 15 are both excellent. Maybe the fog lamps on the hard rock help?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles