What Do You Dislike About Your JK

MR.Ty

Observer
Funny thing about metal, it gets rusty when it is bare. Properly caring for your vehicle in general will prevent rust. Expecting your metal vehicle to always be rust free is just silly.

But back to the topic at hand, I hate how much aftermarket parts cost. :(

GFA

Adventurer
I am calling bull **** on the rust issues. I live in one of the saltiest road condition places around, I have yet to see a rusty JK. meanwhile the Toyotas keep going back to the scrap yard by the dealer. It fills up, then I guess they crush them. JUNK!....I have a 150k on my Jeep now and the underbody and chasis are like new. its a 2011. So 3.5 years of salt, snow, plus being on an island surrounded by SALT WATER, The salt content in our air is higher. Still no rusty JEEP. Lots of rusty NEW tacomas and tundras here however. Well, actually pretty well every make Toyota. More than any other brand of car around here.

Funny thing about metal, it gets rusty when it is bare. Properly caring for your vehicle in general will prevent rust. Expecting your metal vehicle to always be rust free is just silly.

But back to the topic at hand, I hate how much aftermarket parts cost. :(

Mines a 2010, I do not live in an area with your conditions nor do I go mudding and leave it covered that way for rust to take hold. Maybe they use a different coating based on the location it's being delivered to, I don't know but I do indeed have rust.

Funny thing about buying a car is that it comes with a protective coating, some just not as good as others. If I were only paying for an updated 73 yr old design I wouldn't complain but I had to pay modern day prices to play this game.

4f988e35fca27b27c40ae8d25dde4f7b.jpg
972e846f0344b913d2ed9a95de105220.jpg

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Gentlemen: Please keep it civil. Show the jeep love!
We keep the ban hammer locked up, but I have a key ...
D

frenchlayer

Observer
My gripe is twice now my shifter linkage has come loose for the auto transmission, not the usual transfer case linkage. I now leave the center console unbolted in case I need to remove it to hook it back up

Sent from the ether

Interesting how many people bought a jk only to buy another < 5 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know for me, I was in a great position to trade my 2013 in for a 2014 Unlimited. I had an 83' CJ7 and after a few surgeries, I found it very hard and painful to depress the clutch. I ended up selling it and my wife surprised me and bought me the 2013 2 door JK with an automatic. It was a great Jeep, but with several kids it was difficult to go exploring and have enough room for all of us, let alone any gear. Fast forward 1 year, we decided an Unlimited would be a much needed upgrade. I purchased an Anvil 4 door with soft top and half doors, paid my down payment and got a killer trade in on my 2013 (they actually gave me more than we paid for it, and we owed very little on it.). To make a long story a bit shorter, they send their guy to pick the Jeep up in Virginia, and the Jeep is nowhere to be found. Turns out they never reported it as sold and the dealership where it was located sold it. Here I am with a purchasing contract and no Jeep. I spoke with the dealership manager and the regional manager for Jeep, who happened to be in the area. I ended up ordering an unlimited with the exact options I wanted from Jeep in Granite Crystal Metallic. I got it at cost from the dealership, plus the large amount of positive equity from the trade in, plus they put the hold-back amount that the dealership gets from Chrysler towards the new purchase as well. Literally a deal I could not pass up. They threw in a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty and 7 year maintenance plan at no cost, and the deal was done.
Right now I cannot see ever getting rid of this Jeep, as it is so much more comfortable than my previous older Jeeps, so much more capable, and still a blast to drive. I have owned many different vehicles over the years, to include Land Rovers (which are still my wife favorite), International Scouts, trucks, several Jeeps, and even a few built up pre-runners. The Jeeps have always been what I have gravitated back towards, even with all of their little quirks. As stated before, other than the roofs still leaking after all these years, I cannot see myself driving anything else. That is, unless they do something spectacular with the 2018 JL Wrangler!

vs_jk

In 2006, I attended an auto show and saw the JK for the first time. I sat in it and had a friend take a picture. It stuck in mind because I have wanted a Jeep since I was a little kid. Then I attended the 2007 auto show and saw and sat in a JKU. Again it was on my mind as a vehicle I should consider.

I finally bought my JKU in 2008 when they had the free lifetime power train warranty. At the time, I had also looked at and test driven the FJ Cruiser and various TJ's including a TJ unlimited. I had even test driven a couple of CJ7's to see what that would be like. A few years prior, I had also driven an FJ80. When I drove the JK and really gave it a serious look, I knew it was the only choice for me.

It now has over 78k miles on it and it's been trouble free. Well, except for cracking windshields! I'm on my third one now. The hard top doesn't leak, the engine doesn't burn oil, it rides well for a 4x4, gets decent mileage, and works really well as a daily driver. We've taken it on many long distance vacation trips and it's never failed us.

So, with all that said, here is the one thing that I dislike about my JKU. The headrests are really stiff. That is all I don't like and it's easy enough to fix with a headrest cover.

I plan to keep this thing indefinitely. I did test drive a newer JK out of curiosity and it certainly had nicer amenities. But nothing that would convince me to trade mine. Even if they come out with a diesel, I likely won't switch.

It's the only vehicle I've ever owned that even after many years of ownership, I still turn around and stare at it in awe and admiration every time!

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Mines a 2010, I do not live in an area with your conditions nor do I go mudding and leave it covered that way for rust to take hold. Maybe they use a different coating based on the location it's being delivered to, I don't know but I do indeed have rust.

Funny thing about buying a car is that it comes with a protective coating, some just not as good as others. If I were only paying for an updated 73 yr old design I wouldn't complain but I had to pay modern day prices to play this game.

4f988e35fca27b27c40ae8d25dde4f7b.jpg
972e846f0344b913d2ed9a95de105220.jpg

Agreed. Mine is 6 months old in Southern California and things are already rusting underneath worse than my 14 year old land cruiser.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have to go out and take photos of mine. behind the grill is NOTHING like that, and mine gets blasted with road salt and sand every winter. That bar looks like a piece that was put in after and not an original jeep frame piece. Looks like a piece of square stock.

GFA

Adventurer
I have to go out and take photos of mine. behind the grill is NOTHING like that, and mine gets blasted with road salt and sand every winter. That bar looks like a piece that was put in after and not an original jeep frame piece. Looks like a piece of square stock.

I bought it new and can assure you it's not something I added. The underside of this thing looks like it was protected by flat black krylon bbq paint...

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Standard issue-

Mine hasit and notta speck of rust-after almost 7 years

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I bought it new and can assure you it's not something I added. The underside of this thing looks like it was protected by flat black krylon bbq paint...

Haha. That's what I thought. The control arm bolts and such seem to run the thin finish off. The undercoating seems about as thin as the body paint. And the bare steel drive shaft. I don't think it'll be an issue.

But the theme of the thread: it's a $40,000 vehicle that's built like a $20,000 vehicle. It's a well known fact that the wrangler is Chryslers cash cow. They've convinced us to pay a premium for less vehicle.

It is indeed a jeep thing, but there are a lot of converts who came to jeep because their manufacturer of choice isn't building the vehicle they want. Some of the Jeepisms are endearing, some facilitate the modular nature of the vehicle, but some are lazy cost cutting procedures. And that's my biggest dislike about the jeep. You feel like the manufacturer is trying to screw you over.

The thickness of the paint and undercoating, the mismatched hardware, the lack of doorsills, the unpainted hardtop interior, the thin sheet metal are all cost cutting devices, not heritage.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Some of us recent converts' expectations are unrealistic because we came from depreciated $80,000+ vehicles and bought a new truck that starts in the mid $20,000s. But that doesn't excuse everything.

And none of this diminishes how awesome the wrangler is, I just want Chrysler to build it with the respect it deserves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior