What Do You Dislike About Your JK

rlynch356

Defyota
Interesting how many people bought a jk only to buy another < 5 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems pretty common with High resale values, I had a 2012 sahara that i flipped 12 months after purchase for a small profit, i decided to take the free jeep for a year deal :) I bought a 2015' this time as more of a keeper since it looks like the 16' may be way different.

Jurfie

Adventurer
I thought of something else as I was taking a long drive. Not sure if it is an issue for others, but as I'm 6'-6" tall, I find my right shin rests on the centre stack; being hard plastic, it starts to hurt after a while.

I'm considering making a little discreet carved mini-cell foam leg rest pad. :D

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I wished my Rubicon unlimited 2013 had more than 4 cupholders. When we are 4 there will be 4 coffethermos and 4 water bottles. Anyway a Land Cruiser 76 only have one cupholder and a Landrover Defender with the optional cubby box have 2 cupholders. So maybe I shall be happy with my 4 cupholders after all:coffeedrink:

mmmlafayette

I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon. What I didn't like I changed, but one thing stumps me. Am I the only person who sometimes can't see the gauges driving during bright sunlight? I have to turn on the parking lights and rotate the dimmer control to the highest setting without turning on the inside lights. Anyone else have this issue or is there a way to turn on the dash lights without turning on the parking lights?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I wished my Rubicon unlimited 2013 had more than 4 cupholders. When we are 4 there will be 4 coffethermos and 4 water bottles. Anyway a Land Cruiser 76 only have one cupholder and a Landrover Defender with the optional cubby box have 2 cupholders. So maybe I shall be happy with my 4 cupholders after all:coffeedrink:

G wagens still have none and 80 series only have those dinky ones. So don't feel too bad. But yes, it makes for an interesting drive through experience. Ran mount cup holder?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon. What I didn't like I changed, but one thing stumps me. Am I the only person who sometimes can't see the gauges driving during bright sunlight? I have to turn on the parking lights and rotate the dimmer control to the highest setting without turning on the inside lights. Anyone else have this issue or is there a way to turn on the dash lights without turning on the parking lights?

I just leave my headlights on auto, with the dash brightness all the way up. And I used the AEV Procal to turn the low beam DRLs on. I live in sunny LA and don't have a problem with seeing them.

Vermejo

Adventurer
I dislike:

• How hard it is to install a strong roof rack.
  • How much of the interior is hard plastic.
  • How fast the stock leather wears.
  • The lack of front mudflap, which creates the gross door handles.
  • The sharp nub on the end of the blinker stalk.
  • The factory Nav not dimming when it's set on auto dim.
  • Lack of a center locker. I like the part time system but I wish you could drive in 4hi unlocked for snow and rain. The 300 days of oil and no no rain in LA makes the streets very slick when it does finally rain.
  • The random hardware sizes.
  • Lack of a sunroof and lack of pop out third row windows. The freedom panels aren't easy enough to use to replace the functionality of a power sunroof. That being said, the freedom panels off is a lot better than a sunroof.
  • Payload, the Unlimited can't actually handle 4 passengers and luggage. It doesn't seem like it would take much reengineering to provide another 500lbs of payload. Unloaded the stock rubicon suspension is pretty good. But loaded it becomes unstable and a bit dangerous. The roll center seems off and the front end dives excessively under braking.
  • The stock wheel back spacing. 10.5" is a pretty narrow truck tire, I wish the wheels allowed for more tire width options.
  • The shape of the roll bar in the JKU. A squared rear would create much more usable cargo room.
  • The quality of the hardware. A lot of it doesn't seem like automotive grade.
  • The thin sheet metal. It might be because of the flat bodypanels, but I don't like feeling the door concave when I'm washing it.
  • The thin paint. The paint seems to rub off very easily. I wish they'd quadrupled the coats of paint like Toyota does on the Land Cruisers.
  • My biggest complaint is how much hangs below the frame rails. For a rock crawling designed truck, they should have engineered it with a flat underside like the G-wagen. I'd have gladly traded a flush underside for non fold flat seats.

Now where's the thread for the things I do like?

Great reply. This about sums it all up. I'll put up with all of it as my JKUR is the funnest and most versatile vehicle I've ever owned.

GFA

Adventurer

I'm guessing its an issue with 2011+ models because it's not with my 2010. But, since you brought up dash lighting, is the high beam dash indicator on the newer models still brighter than the actual high beams? I've had a piece of duct tape covering it on mine since the first week of ownership.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I thought of something else as I was taking a long drive. Not sure if it is an issue for others, but as I'm 6'-6" tall, I find my right shin rests on the centre stack; being hard plastic, it starts to hurt after a while.

I'm considering making a little discreet carved mini-cell foam leg rest pad. :D

I'm 6'7" but ironically don't have the same issue. However, where I mounted the brake controller on the other side, I do sometimes get my shin when I shift. I've done quite a few couple thousand mile weekends in mine and it's not perfect for long distance, but definitely acceptable- it is a Jeep after all.

In terms of the post, my previous Jeep was a YJ, and I had been 2 wheels only for a number of years before we moved to Europe where I only drove BMWs. Therefore, I kinda had low expectations. Our JKUR is absolutely perfect in my eyes (for what it is). IMO. they fixed what needed to be done to the Rubicon model since we had last driven one in '07: the crap interior and the underpowered motor. Again, IMO, it is now a genuinely decent automobile with all the amenities (BT, power everything, Sat radio, GPS, even AC?!?!?!). For what it is, the economy is stellar in my mind's eye, and I think the thing will run like a scared rabbit when pushed with the new motor.

The things I don't like I chalk up to 2 things: it is a 'merican vehicle, and it is a Jeep whose first purpose is to be an off road vehicle. 'Merican in that I just assume the quality will be mildly sub par (sorry, I'm a German car and bike nut and think they just do it better). As primarily an off road vehicle I don't expect a vehicle to do it's namesake (yes we actually bought the Rubicon SPECIFICALLY to run that trail) to drive like a sports car, be as quiet as a Maybach, or get the economy of a Pryus.

Therefore, the brake dive, squishy handling, fluttering hood, squeaky driver's seat, iffy GPS, buttons that don't work on the first push half the time, obnoxious "safety" items (no lockers in 4 high, ridiculous traction control that can't be fully disabled, ABS with a mind of it's own on low speed bumpy roads), overall clunky drivetrain, and a few other nit picky things are all things I don't much care about.

The fact that resale on them is completely off the reservation ridiculous, confirms I'm not the only one too terribly bothered with this stuff. Shoot, when I bought mine, in a road test they compared the Rubicon to a brand new $100+k G Wagen and the Jeep slalomed better and was even quieter. For what it is, it sure is hard to beat- apparently at any price.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Almost Everything I Wanted

Interesting Thread....

I moved into a 2014 JKUR after "giving up" on a lifelong dream of a 5 door 109 or 110 Rover. One night I realized that I've been "restoring" 2 1960's rovers for almost 10 years while my kids grow up around me, and we spend far too much time working and not camping!

So, the JK fit the bill. A lot of research and domestic negotiation went into it, but I decided a Rubicon was almost everything I would do to something myself. Fully recognizing that I became that guy I used to make fun of back in my fab-your-own wheelin rig days, I decided to buy my rig.

What do I love? lockers, skid plates, 4:1 case, ac, disc brakes, mud tires, airbags, and a good stereo off the lot.

What do I wish was different?

850 pound payload is not enough for the intended use of the vehicle, I will be exceeding that and dealing with the associated wear issues
Adding electrics is ridiculously hard, thank you S-POD for helping with that
The factory really needs to include an engine driven on board air option... I would have happily dropped $2k for that little line item
Integrated trailer brake control would be nice? Does the tow package include this?
The sub woofer needs to go. I'm not sure the in-floor option on the 15 is a good idea. If you have to explain it to everyone, it is likely wrong from the start.
The plastic bumpers are not exactly great... I guess that is where the aftermarket comes in.
Where is my diesel engine option? So much could be fixed with the grand Cherokee driveline, but in Cali, swaps are difficult and expensive... And in violation of the Whole reason I bought this anyway...
More holes and bulkhead plugs in the firewall... If you know everyone buys your product to modify, you should accommodate that.

I basically remember that I've embraced a different lifestyle. I never thought that my 2005 F250 diesel would be the spacious, fast, comfortable car in my collection... But there it is.

It basically boils down to one thing a friend said when I was shopping and soliciting opinions...

"If you want a tall, narrow, underpowered, tippy truck that gets horrible mileage, can't tow or haul anything, but is great offload and puts a HUGE grin on your face every time you get behind the wheel... Buy the JEEP.

And, last but not least, my wife HATES the way that women look at ME/US when I/WE go down the road...

Maybe the best feature yet, although I don't see any of them lining up to help make the payments like she does!

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Not so much a dislike as a feature I wish the JK had. I wish that the rear side windows, or the side panels of the JKU hard top were modular and removable and that the rear glass was quickly and easily removable. I always liked the J-8 Sarge, with its hard top and soft side and rear panels.

DSC00756.jpg

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
"If you want a tall, narrow, underpowered, tippy truck that gets horrible mileage, can't tow or haul anything, but is great offload and puts a HUGE grin on your face every time you get behind the wheel... Buy the JEEP.

Well said sir!

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Let's see:

1) Use a different material on the cloth seats. Takes me hours to clean my boxer's hair off the seats and carpeting on the sides.
2) Headrests are not adjustable and the rears are not removable to increase visibility.
3) No captain's chair arm rest for the long I-5 drive
4) Fog lights turn off when you switch on your high beams (probably regulation/law limitation)
5) Read windshield wiper motor cover is HUGE
6) More stout rear cargo tie downs
7) Map lights in the front just light up the upper dash because of the location
8) Only an issue with the 130 radio: detuned not to damage speakers but with top off, you need more power to after-market speakers.

My list is long, but all livable disappointments.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
From Sweden, Europe. I love my 2013 unlimited. I like it stock, no need for a lift, winch, bigger tires etc
Small complaints here and wishes.
I wish Jeep made it even more for overlanding/camping.
# As a option I would have a normal metal top like a normal vehicle as I have never taken the hardtopp of, to cold here and it rains. Benifits huge:snorkel: Safer, can have curtain airbags, no flash in the head :Wow1: easier and less costly to ad a roofrack. Insulation, less noise, against warm and cold weather. It should be a box, vertical sides, alot of mounting points for roof nets, lights, easier to mount cupboards and such for storage or small kitchen area. And a easy way to mount solar panels on the roof with holes in the roof for the cabels. Should be easier to use the ceiling for storage with multi mounting points, for towing rops, spades etc.

Examples from a Defender, the importent thing is vertical sides, use the space to the roof and at the rear side windows if preferd. Slightly higher roof.
dol-lrgdb2.png

lr-camper.jpg

010a-01.jpg

#A sturdy tailgate where there are a space and a holder for a Jerrycan with water or fuel. Or maybe a sturdy bracket, where You can stick a holder for different stuff like jerrycan holder, a spade etc.
#Needs airducts at the back of the cubbybox because the rear passengers gets cold wintertime.
#Probably needs thicker wiring for the rear 12v outlet for driving some fridges.
#Needs a bigger and better stock deep cycle battery, if possible premade for dualbattery setup.
# LED light everywhere
#The rear seat should be totally flat when folded so it gets more comfy when sleeping.
#I wish the rear seat did not collapse, when I fold my rear seat I have to take out everything I have under the rear seat.
#A built in real good pure sin inverter at least 300w. There are no inverter at al on the export wranglers.
#Option to open more ventilation holes with bug net for sleeping inside.
#The stock bumper most be shorter and have better approach angles
#Have real recovery points
#Option with the nav a rear camera from factory.
#12v outlet and USB outleat at the rear outside of the cubbybox.
#larger windows, You get that with a slightly higher roof, and also more space for a roof net above Your head.
# Could have better ground clearance as stock, might have to put stuff higher up? But the vehicle could be some inches higher but not really as high as a Defender because it would not fit some garages. The Defender have better ground clearance but have the same wheel hight and have axles, so maybe the Defender have a bodylift so they could stuff things higher up, the difference between the wrangler and the Defender is rather big when it comes to ground clearance, how did they manage that?

The Wrangler looks little bit like a low toad:sombrero:
4efb7a6409b60276300013f0.jpg

#Could have a smaller engine. The Landrover scv6 petrol engine is only at 3.0 liter and has 340HK and 450mn in Torque and that is much higher than the Pentastar gives.
#Needs a slightly bigger fueltank.
#Needs a slightly bigger cargo area, if the cut down the 16 inches long front euro bumper to 2 inches the could they could increase the cargo lengt with 14inches and stil retain the same total lengt of the Wrangler.
#creasy difficult to change bulbs, not nice to do that in a winterstorm. LED heating light would take care of that, never change it.
#On the 2015 Wrangler they took away the awesome storage with the sub, great that the sub went away but the destroyed the storage space. The should have putted it under the front passanger seat instead.
#On the NAV the should have a option for real detailed topographic maps
#Nice feature would be to recline the rear seat. I sit offen in the rear seat and I find it very comfortable as I offen sit there when taking photos of birds and mammals.
158166185.jpg

#Needs a mounting holes on the stock bumper for mounting Auxiliary lights. I mean just 2 holes that is sturdy for mounting so I dont need to buy expensive bracket or a hole front metal bumper for only mount some Auxiliary lights. It is creasy that it do not exist from factory.
#As a nature lover and nature photographer I would like to have a Wrangler in flat color military green with no ugly chrome, it has sadly lost a lot of the military heritage.
#Alu body would probably be good
#Payload should be better. Just speculating as I dont know:) I think if You have a vehicle with rigid axles You need soft shocks to make it comfy and most wrangler owner use it as a normal vehicle with no load. Defender and Landcruiser 70 series have huge payload and solid axles but are not comfy on the road empty. You can always give the wrangler stiffer springs and shocks from Factory that might change the payload some, but ordinary people that dont do overlanding in the Wrangler would probably feel that the ride is to harsh. A sturdier ladder frame would cost more and weigh more. I think also a payload is also how fast a vehicle can travel, it should be safe at topspeed, and a Wrangler goes pretty fast compared to some other. I also think that Jeep is more cautious than other brand as it comes from US. I dont think that there are many vehicles that have a hugh payload and have solid axles front and rear and are comfy with no load and safe at top load and at similar size and weight to a Wrangler. I dont know but I might think if Defender were built in US it would not have twice the payload that it has compared to the Wrangler, higher payload yes because it has bigger axles and bigger and sturdier frame.
#I am not sure of this one. But that is for me as a like it stock. The Wrangler is rather wide, but it is becasue the wheels is outside the body, but if we made the body wider over the wheels the interior would be much bigger and also You might be abile to sleep in the rear seat and You would have a much bigger cargo area. The down side is for they that want to put on very big tires and it would not look like a Wrangler anymore, hmm maybe not

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Let's see:

1) Use a different material on the cloth seats. Takes me hours to clean my boxer's hair off the seats and carpeting on the sides.
2) Headrests are not adjustable and the rears are not removable to increase visibility.
3) No captain's chair arm rest for the long I-5 drive
The cubby box is higher on the 2011+, what year is yours4) Fog lights turn off when you switch on your high beams (probably regulation/law limitation)
I can turn on the fog light as only light in my swedish wrangler
5) Read windshield wiper motor cover is HUGE
6) More stout rear cargo tie downs
7) Map lights in the front just light up the upper dash because of the location
On other vehicles they can be angled to light different places, not on a Wrangler
8) Only an issue with the 130 radio: detuned not to damage speakers but with top off, you need more power to after-market speakers.

My list is long, but all livable disappointments.

Answer in your text

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94