What do you all use and don't use?

billiebob

If you are using fossil fuels, understand the safety risks and be sure the install is 100% compliant with codes, including the spread from propane exhaust to an open window. Pure electric tends to be carefree. Propane, white gas,, butane all introduce carbon monoxide, the silent killer. Be forever careful, follow every code, be diligent. Commercial RVs follow the regulations, if you rob an RV for cheap appliances, be sure to not lose that compliance when you reinstall it.

85_Ranger4x4

I get the Coleman thing. I have a couple old pieces. Just for display though, haha

In inclement weather, we are able to cook under the awning with out getting wet. So far we've managed not to have to cook inside.... knock on wood.

We also have a Coleman grill / stove combo we use as well.

View attachment 619676

We are thinking we are going to get a butcher block (on legs) or something similar to put over the stove inside the trailer so we can use it as counter space. Might be able to do the same in a truck camper. Sort of like this:

View attachment 619677

Yeah, my main stove is a $15 413G (I think around 1973/4 vintage) and my main lantern is a $3 1978 220J. Fun to watch for on garage sales and tinker with, both run great. My whole rig is "vintage" lol.

I have thought about making a counter top with legs for ours, using a cuttingboard would be a good idea too.

If you are using fossil fuels, understand the safety risks and be sure the install is 100% compliant with codes, including the spread from propane exhaust to an open window. Pure electric tends to be carefree. Propane, white gas,, butane all introduce carbon monoxide, the silent killer. Be forever careful, follow every code, be diligent. Commercial RVs follow the regulations, if you rob an RV for cheap appliances, be sure to not lose that compliance when you reinstall it.

I consider a carbon monoxide detector essential. I need to get one before I start using the propane accessories regularly, especially the heater which scares me for that.

White gas (and all fire that can fall over) is all outside the camper.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yeah, my main stove is a $15 413G (I think around 1973/4 vintage) and my main lantern is a $3 1978 220J. Fun to watch for on garage sales and tinker with, both run great. My whole rig is "vintage" lol.
Fore sure! I picked up an old blue cooler for $10 and found my old stove as a free giveaway.
IMG_4137.JPG

indycheez

We use our furnace in the Hawk all the time (and will be this weekend for sure). Its one of the reasons we moved up from having a rooftop tent, the ability to extend our camping season and camp comfortably in inclement weather. I have a 3-way fridge, and run it on propane all the time (except when we are plugged in somewhere). We camp in the shoulder seasons a lot, with reduced sunlight, and in dense forest, also with reduced sunlight. I never have any concerns about the fridge, it sips propane, and is always cold.
Thanks the consumption factor was going to be another question. If is used little that makes me think I may start to use it.

86scotty

Cynic
I have one of those fold up Coleman stove top ovens. I haven't carried it in years. We just don't get that elaborate when we camp anymore.

I also have a well used Coleman Grill stove. It's nasty and I can't/won't store it indoors so it doesn't go anymore because of varmint risk. In fact I carry no grill at all. I just cook in a 10" cast iron skillet on a camp stove.

I wanted one of those oven/stove thingies but I don't think I'd ever want to carry it due to it's size.

So, OP, I'm currently in a pick up with an RTT, fridge and butane stove. I don't miss any of my more elaborate campers. I do have a pop up shell on order (Super Pacific) but I think other than a heater and a roof vent I won't add much of anything to it. Maybe a small counter if I get creative.

billiebob

That said, Propane does it all with minimal expense, both for equipment and operating costs.

86scotty

Cynic
Wait, I thought methane was the silent killer? At least it is in my tent.

Someday I'm going to invent a methane collection device and then watch out Bezos! I'll be the richest man in the world. Methane powered everything.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Wait, I thought methane was the silent killer? At least it is in my tent.

Someday I'm going to invent a methane collection device and then watch out Bezos! I'll be the richest man in the world. Methane powered everything.
I think there are already methane powered vehicles?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Furnace, water heater and 3 way frig get used in our truck camper all the time. I do own some 12 volt fridges but the three way running on propane is the best boondocking option. I added a relighter to the fridge since ours frequently got blown out while driving. It's never gone out since I added it and it's also much easier to light with the relighter. We recently added a Camco Wave 3 for an additional option with heat. We like it but it's not as powerful as the OE furnace. Always use a CO detector. We really only use the water heater for showers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles