What do you all use and don't use?

indycheez

Just bought an 82 Sun Lite TC. Really good shape for the year. I have already dealt with the lift system twisting out of the rotting sides and through the roof. I've made that repair and am back in business. Looking at all the things that I have in the camper; furnace, stove, 3 way fridge and sink and water tank. My question is how many of you use the furnace and fridge? Or are there better alternatives. Being 38 years old these things my not work or not work correctly. I'm leery of the furnace. The components look every bit 38 years old, and how many previous owners have taken proper care of it? I've been a backpacker for years and with the cold weather gear that I have acquired over the years, I think I should be good.
And what are your thoughts on powering everything. I want to be able to boondock, and not sure what way to go. Solar or generator. I would love to hear some of your feedback. Oh and see pics of your set ups.
Thanks
B.

GlennA

Adventurer
I don't view it as an either/or situation. As long as the weather is pleasant, solar keeps my battery charged and powering everything that isn't running on propane. However, when the need for A/C arises, the generator earns its keep.

quickfarms

Adventurer
With that setup you could use solar to charge the batteries and run everything on propane.

If can’t work on them yourself take the camper to a good RV shop and have them check out the appliances and the rest of the systems on the camper.

I just had my ac and fridge serviced and it was only a couple of hundred bucks including some minor repairs and adjustments

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've never touched my 20 yr old furnace and it works great. It is noisy though. We have a small 12" square space heater that we use when plugged in. I don't know if they work with solar. Not much to go wrong with a 3 way fridge. Again I've never touched our Dometic in 20 yrs.

Rando

Explorer
My feeling is that the furnace/fridge/water are what makes a camper attractive and allow you to camp longer and in worse weather. If I were not to use these, I would just continue to camp in my Sierra Designs Tirros.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Unless you have a particular affinity for gas absorption fridges, any modern AC/DC fridge would probably be a fantastic upgrade from an efficiency standpoint. I'm a "Solar all day" kinda guy - I don't want the noise or hassle of a generator.

85_Ranger4x4

I kinda blew off the heater until my last trip. With projected lows in the 30's we ended up dragging along my inlaws camper because it was going to be too cold for a tent and a little kid (10mo)

I am still getting my Skamper squared away but getting the heater working is now on the "to do list" Along with a fire/carbon monoxide detector.

I only have an ice box so no fridge debate for me.

Mine doesn't even have a house battery, I need to get it ready and start using it to see what I need.

I have thought about an electric pump for the sink, maybe even a water heater... I don't know yet though.

My Skamper thread:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We have always towed a trailer but, we've never used our stove or oven inside. While shopping a few years ago we noticed quite a few now are omitting the oven for more storage.

If you don't intend on cooking inside your truck camper, you could omit the stove / oven?

Trikebubble

Adventurer
We use our furnace in the Hawk all the time (and will be this weekend for sure). Its one of the reasons we moved up from having a rooftop tent, the ability to extend our camping season and camp comfortably in inclement weather. I have a 3-way fridge, and run it on propane all the time (except when we are plugged in somewhere). We camp in the shoulder seasons a lot, with reduced sunlight, and in dense forest, also with reduced sunlight. I never have any concerns about the fridge, it sips propane, and is always cold.

85_Ranger4x4

We have always towed a trailer but, we've never used our stove or oven inside. While shopping a few years ago we noticed quite a few now are omitting the oven for more storage.

If you don't intend on cooking inside your truck camper, you could omit the stove / oven?

If it is just a stove they don't really take up much more room, basically a counter when not being used. For boondocking it might be nice to be able to heat water for dishes or whatever, it would take some of the strain off the electrical if you can use propane to heat things instead of a water heater/etc.

I have been looking for a folding coleman oven for mine so I can bake things and it kinda folds down into nothing when not being used. And it can be used on a stove outside too.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If it is just a stove they don't really take up much more room, basically a counter when not being used. For boondocking it might be nice to be able to heat water for dishes or whatever, it would take some of the strain off the electrical if you can use propane to heat things instead of a water heater/etc.

I have been looking for a folding coleman oven for mine so I can bake things and it kinda folds down into nothing when not being used. And it can be used on a stove outside too.
We just don't like cooking inside. We use a portable oven / stove combo outside and use our oven inside just to store pots and pans.

Capture.PNG

516l7dfMQVL._AC_.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

We just don't like cooking inside. We use a portable oven / stove combo outside and use our oven inside just to store pots and pans.

View attachment 619670

View attachment 619671

I was talking more in the context of camping with a truck camper.

I would rather do everything outside too but when the weather is crappy it would be nice to have a fallback inside. And at least for me my stove takes up virtually no room inside the camper.

I am a Coleman nut too, the oven I want would work both inside and outside and folds down into a small easy to store pile of tin.

e92c49c2920489447dff034d0184738a.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I was talking more in the context of camping with a truck camper.

I would rather do everything outside too but when the weather is crappy it would be nice to have a fallback inside. And at least for me my stove takes up virtually no room inside the camper.

I am a Coleman nut too, the oven I want would work both inside and outside and folds down into a small easy to store pile of tin.
I get the Coleman thing. I have a couple old pieces. Just for display though, haha

In inclement weather, we are able to cook under the awning with out getting wet. So far we've managed not to have to cook inside.... knock on wood.

We also have a Coleman grill / stove combo we use as well.

817KGktPGnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

We are thinking we are going to get a butcher block (on legs) or something similar to put over the stove inside the trailer so we can use it as counter space. Might be able to do the same in a truck camper. Sort of like this:

il_794xN.2427176407_g4v3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles